Will the Internet Kill Cable/Satellite TV?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by Adeal4u • May 22, 2012.

1. mikydiky

mikydikyNew Member

Threads:
    The quality on cable and FiOS tv is way better than Internet tv. Most of the time the quality from streaming is not very clear as one doesn't obtain full HD on the HDTV sets. The Internet will not make tv cable or fiber optics obsolete.

2. EvoDoom

EvoDoomMember

Threads:
    I'm not a big TV viewer but the TV which I do watch is usually viewed on my PC, I can see the number of people watching online going up; but I'm not sure it will "kill it". In fact, it's entirely more likely that at one point or another they will actually merge, thoughts?

3. PauloSwentas

PauloSwentasNew Member

Threads:
    Due to the fact that it doesn't require an internet connection to stream TV shows, as well as it's a strong and forceful way to get people to view advertisements, I highly doubt it will become obsolete. Some persons can't stream fast enough as well as the wide variety of shows right around the clock will most likely not be possible, I think there will soon be an evolution in the TV world which makes it highly internet based.

4. nms1234

nms1234New Member

Threads:
    I do believe that the internet will eventually be the death of cable/satellite TV, or at least make it a niche product, but not without a fight. It will take a long time and the networks won't die themselves, they will just figure out the best model to make the transition and make the most money they can. As mentioned above, those who live in rural places will be the last to make this transition as they rely on satellite and cable for all their media needs. But I am sure the media know it is coming.

5. LiquidatorBrunt

LiquidatorBruntMember

Threads:
    I haven't owned an actual TV in several years. I prefer to do it all on my PC. It's easier to watch what I want, when I want, and without advertising being shoved down my throat. So yes, it will force the television companies to rethink their models.

6. EvoDoom

EvoDoomMember

Threads:
    This is pretty much how I watch TV nowadays also. I think that as time goes on, the number of people like us will only increase.

7. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    There will always be a place for TV because of the easy access and convenient nature of it. And you only get what you want on the computer WITHOUT advertising if you know where to look.

The problem is really down to news and sports. Not many online providers offer those live. But that's going to grow soon.

8. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    I don't think so. Networks would be too hard up to give up their business. Online streaming is not for everybody's taste. People will mostly just use their internet for surfing, social networking and other stuff. Only a few people would be interested in online streaming. Most would prefer watching it in TV.

9. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    Most of the big cable companies are also the biggest internet providers. They won't let one part of their business kill another part.

10. donaldplozha

donaldplozhaMember

Threads:
    I think it is a very good way to watch sports streaming, but I prefer to watch other TV programmes like fashion shows, humor shows, movies and when available, sports as well on the TV. There is this big provider here in Albania called "Digitalb", that offers a very wide arrange of movies (10 channels), sports (8 channels) and lots of other kinds of programmes. I pay 215 euros yearly and I do not think that is expensive at all. On the other hand, I pay 200 euros yearly for my internet service which offers 3 mbps for that money. With 3 mbps I can watch whatever I want over the internet, even HD streaming, but it is not always stable and you do not always find what you're looking for. TV indeed is stable, you always get what they say you get to see, and it is much more comfortable :)

11. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Internet can never replace TV and Cable /Satellite TV for that matter. Take the example of the introduction of Email devices, which many thought would do away with Postal Address. That has turned out not to be the truth. People with email addresses still need to have Postal Address!

12. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I got rid of my cable a while ago to save money - it was pretty pointless having it really as I found myself watching more and more things on the Net. I don't watch a lot of TV anyway because I tend to work when my kids are asleep or not here. My older son watches films etc on YouTube so it hasn't been missed in this house....yet anyway.

13. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I finally officially cancelled our Satellite 2 weeks ago. I watch all of my shows online on the show's website, and my kids watch Netflix. My husband and I watch a show in the evenings on Netflix. We got addicted to The Walking Dead on there.

I admit, I miss having Satellite for the kids but I think we'll learn to get along without it just fine.

14. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I will always prefer cable tv over streaming or internet tv. I just can't see myself constantly turning on my computer just to watch television or movies. There's nothing like settling down in front of my big screen tv to watch a movie on DVD. It's just more normal and traditional. I watch films online only when I have to review them for my website.

15. clayk7

clayk7Banned

Threads:
    Honestly, over time I think it will. Many people just watch shows and movies off their computers and laptops nowadays.

16. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    I can see it coming at some point, but you still have some people that hold on to cable TV. If it continues it's going to have to drop in price. If cable was around 10 dollars a month people would sign up for it, but times are changing and I prefer to just stream online.

I just hook my laptop up to my 32in TV and it's just like having cable. Everything is in HD, my TV is just a big computer monitor, it works great for me, but I would recommend getting a good PC or MAC to stream online.

#36Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2015
  17. LAGuy

LAGuyMember

Threads:
    I pretty much use the internet/netflix/amazon for everything other than stuff I get over the air on antenna. I have an AppleTV, so send stuff from my computer when I want to watch it on the big screen, and the stuff that comes over the air is MUCH higher quality than through cable.

I'm guessing cable is going to be dead soon other than for cable internet services.

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The internet has taken over in entertainment which means the cable channels are in trouble. The cost of cable is one of the reasons they are in trouble, people are pay 100's everymonth for what. Some times it is just to get a clear picture on the tv. I look at my computer for entertainment much more than my tv.

19. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    Yes i think the internet will kill satellite/cable just like DVD killed video. Here in the UK virtually all the video rental stores have gone out of business due to the internet. It was the emergence of netflix and the like that ended the DVD's reign.

Every movie or show that is available on satellite/cable can be sourced from the internet either to stream or download, even live sports like premier league soccer can be found online.

I think cable/satellite companies will have to review their prices and cut operating costs in order to survive in the future. We are approaching a peak in technological advancement and they may be left behind.

20. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah. The possibility that cable or satellite will become obsolete is quite big especially now that we are living in an era of internet and mobile communication. This may happen in the near future but not yet today. Take for example the local free channels being shown in the internet. You can now watch your favorite channels live all you need is a good internet speed.