Will the Internet Kill Cable/Satellite TV?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by Adeal4u • May 22, 2012.

1. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Since the Internet has stepped on the scene, it has made it difficult for cable/satellite to compete. I know one day there won't be anymore cable TV, and all the shows will be watched on the Internet. What would it be like without cable?

You would save yourself a lot of money because you can stop paying that high bill every month. Newer TV's are being programmed to use the Internet wirelessly. Personally I look forward to losing cable/satellite because you have no control over what you watch.

I prefer watching shows on my own time, and not recording them to play them back with a bunch of commercials. What do you think, will cable and satellite TV survive the Internet craze?

2. pizzaz007

pizzaz007New Member

Threads:
    I don't think so. Every media has its own power. There is no doubt that internet has all the features of Cable / Satellite but the Cable / Satellite has its own value. And it is not possible for all such internet users to get approach to free cable / satellite on net. You have to pay for the same.

3. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Well there are different costs and situations to look at. For some people paying for the level of internet service that would be needed to enjoy streaming of entertainment would be as cost prohibitive as cable if not moreso. And then you would need the kind of hardware that could handle that load which is at least a one time cost, but a large one. Whereas you only need a tv and a cord to get at least basic cable. Honestly internet is not likely to end cable anymore than smartphones will kill desktops.

4. ljepilo

ljepiloActive Member

Threads:
    From what I see ,and from what I have seen , internet already killed cable/satelite tv.... Almost everyone watches TV via internet...

5. untitled

untitledMember

Threads:
    It has already happened I think, anything I could watch on tv with the exception of a few odd programs, I can easily find online within 10 minutes.

6. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I think it is inevitable. For the near future. Thanks to technology, evolution is happening faster, even exponentially. And as others here have said, it has happened for some of them already. Remember, there are still billions of people not yet connected to the internet. The internet is evolving to become more accessible too.

So, yes, I do feel that cable and satellite television will go the way of the land-line. Just my thoughts, since you asked.

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It may happen at some point in time in the future. I think that there are still a lot of people that like to be able to watch tv on a TV! There are also people that are still using landline phones. These evolutions in technology are always slower for some people than it is for others but they do eventually happen over time.

8. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I am going to go ahead and say yes but not quite yet. There is still a large population of the older generation that does not understand how to stream live television and are very loyal to their local cable television networks. I remember a few years back when I worked for a digital satelite company I would receive many calls and amongst them were older people asking why they couldn't just keep their usual programing? This was when everyone was forced to change over to digital cable boxes and no local cables channels would be broadcasted anymore without a box. Just the idea of having to hook up a simple box was too much for them and I sternly believe that generation will not conform to online streaming. However - in about 15 years they will have all passed on (sad but true) and the next generation will be our parents. The ones that have caught the tech wave at their mid 40's and can still somewhat manage a computer just not as well as we can so they will probably move onto the online tv wave as this is most probably when online streaming companies will take advantage and start their wave.

9. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I watch all of my shows online now. I still have a satellite for my husband and kids, but personally between watch instantly with Netflix and sites like ABC showing their stuff I have no need for the satellite.

10. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I surely hope so! I remember back in the old days when tv was free. Yes, we only had the local channels, but still. I think cable and satellite carriers have been gauging us ever since they came out. I can't believe that I am paying almost $100 a month to watch tv and another $35 for internet access. I will love it when I only have to pay internet only.

11. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I also say yes. I get most everything i watch off the net. I just downgraded cable for the kids to watch. They don't all have computers yet. But rarely waste my time watching all them comercials. Its so bad you get 2 minutes of a program then 5 min of comercials.

12. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely not. Quite a few people have no desire to set up all of their TV watching through streams and media centers. You also have to consider that major pockets of the US don't have broadband cable and it doesn't look to change anytime soon. In addition to that, they don't have the budgets to pay the monthly bill or purchase the computer and its components needed to make the internet their main source of television.

Then, of course the biggest reason of all: live sports. That will always keep the cable companies running.

13. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I don't think so. You may see less and less people in the US giving up on cable but let me tell you it's completely different in my place. Very few people know about websites to watch TV online, and most of those who know of them still prefer watching TV the old fashioned way. I do too!

14. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, it will take at least a generation or two to completely knock off cable. You have to form the habits of watching TV on a computer or through streams from childhood if you want it to really take effect for the average person. TV watching is a break from work, so if you make it feel like work, people won't do it.

15. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I do not think this will happen. The cost of the Internet items are to high, but also the manner in which these work can be unreliable for some people. So I have to say if it does knock it off, it will not be for a really long time.

16. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    Not anytime soon, but that is a reality that will come at some time or another.

17. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At some point, the Internet will overtake cable tv. Right now, I watch 99% of my shows on the Internet. A Netflix subscription is a lot cheaper than cable. Many networks put the episodes of my favorite shows online within a few days of airing. I prefer watching online. I can watch at my leisure and there's very little commercials if any.

18. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    That's the same thing I was thinking. It's rare that I even turn on the TV. I'm so busy on the Internet that I don't have time. I think it cable will fade away and there's nothing any of us can do about it.

19. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    I think it is inevitable. I do hope that cable and satellite fade out slowly, since many rural areas in the U.S. have unreliable internet availability. It will be interesting to see how programming changes when the older ways of watching become obsolete.

20. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Why would you hope that cable and satellite fades out? Do you think if they do, then the rural areas will get an improvement in their internet service? I'm not understanding how those things are connected, since many people need either cable and satellite to get internet service.