Will These Frequent Air Disasters Eventually Have An Impact On International Travel?

Discussion in Travel started by explorerx7 • May 19, 2016.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    It has been reported that an Egypt Air aircraft went down sometime today. It has not been as yet ascertained if this disaster was the result of a terror strike. In the past few years, there have been frequent incidences of a similar nature, some caused by terrorism and some by equipment failure or human error. I am thinking that these frequent events may be causing some jitters amongst the travelling public even causing some people to limit their air travel activities.Do you agree that the air travel industry will be negatively impacted by the frequency of the events along with the possible threat of terrorist involvement?

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that air travel has already been impacted by the planes going down, as well as the terrorist attacks. another issue is that because of the terrorist attacks, people are put through more security scans and other methods. As a senior citizen, and a woman as well; I do not come even close to fitting the profile of the people who are terrorists; but even so, I still have to go through the same invetigation methods as if I did fit the designated image of a terrorist.
    It takes longer and longer to be checked in for a flight, and it is especially difficult for older people who have trouble geetting shoes and jackets on and off while standing up.
    I think that people are already starting to travel less, and as it gets more dangerous, people who are not required to travel will probably not fly , especially overseas.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Terrorism is making people less eager to visit certain countries. So already even without the disasters international air travel has already been affected and I suppose that in future fewer people will be interested in traveling abroad if there's even a remote possibility that they may not be coming home alive.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My husband and I are travelers. Last year, we had been to 6 countries and this year we had been to Thailand and to Singapore in October. That's aside from our domestic travels that sometimes we also take the plane.

When the Malaysian airlines flight MH 370 was reported lost, there was an air of fear for travelers like us. What if the next missing plane is our flight? But common sense prevailed because if it is your time then it is your time and you cannot do anything about it. Now the missing plane past Cairo in Egypt is another tragedy that sends shivers to air travelers. I think those air mishaps affect the airline industry.

5. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, my mother-in-law is a frequent traveler and I wanted to take a cruise with her this year, but she's concerned about terrorism. She's not interested in getting on a plane right now because of the wait times, and flying internationally is definitely out of the picture for her, right now.

6. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever a plane goes missing or maybe attacked by a terrorist, people always fear for their safety. They always consider the airline's safety history and whether it has many planes that have encountered mishaps in the past. The same goes for the countries involved in these incidents, they might see a decline in tourists a few days, weeks or months after the incident.

So for some time, people might be reluctant to travel with these airlines. But as time passes by and if no other disaster occurs, then they might start pouring in again. The fear is almost always temporary especially if the person isn't personally involved in any disaster.

But we see a rise in traveller every year, even to dangerous places. So I don't think these disaster can impact international travel so much.