Will you able to surf any website on a smart TV like a computer can?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by pandandesign • Jan 5, 2014.

1. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard about smart TVs and the main difference is that you're able to stream videos and surf on the internet. I don't know if smart TVs do have the same functionality ad the computer or a smartphone does. Will you able to surf any website on a smart TV like a computer can?

2. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    That depends on the type of smart TV, some can and some don't have the feature. Personally, I prefer to do all my surfing related activities on the computer because of the convenience of keyboard and mouse. I've tried streaming Youtube with my TV before but it's sluggish and unintuitive to use.

3. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    Streaming movies to your TV works well, like with Netflix, but I've never tried streaming YouTube or anything like that on my TV. Things are changing so rapidly now though, it will be interesting to see what they come up with in the next couple of years. What do you think of using voice recognition with your TV verses using a remote control?

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    The one that my parents own can't but I'm sure there are some models with a built in standard browser. It certainly wouldn't be as easy with a smart TV but Possible. yes. Be aware that not all will though so ask when you go to purchase one for clarification.

5. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I am able like mention above to get things like netflix , my youtube works great, Now I have some problems with screaming my movies from Hulu and other movie places. I can get them from the crackle they play well it just depends on the downloading streaming.

6. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Different smart TVs have different features, really just like anything. I don't use a smart TV myself although my brother has one. The way technology for TVs is getting these days they basically are more and more becoming just like a computer. I was actually blown away at how many Tvs these days are sold with so much social networking software on them for easy integration.

7. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, thanks guys! This is what I have wondering about because I thought smart TVs are mainly useful for watching video clips and TV shows. I didn't really know that you can be able to surf on any internet just like a computer does. It is convenient for me so I can take a break from watching TV and jump to surf the internet. I hope I will get one someday because this sounds very convincing!

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    When they mention things like being able to surf the internet, I don't think they are encouraging people to be surfing EBay and making purchased on it from their TV, or stuff like that, but rather they mean that the various video streaming services that run over the internet can be pulled into your TV, along with all their other content.

Even though you likely could open up traditional web pages on them, that's probably not the main focus or intent.

9. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. If you buy one of the high end models, and even then the experience wont be to great. you must remember that a Smart TV is still just a TV. It is not designed to have the same processing power as a personal computer. you will be able to do simple task, but do not expect to have a fully functional PC in your TV.