Will you buy a computer with all five senses?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by andrew320 • Dec 20, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    It was reported either this week or last week of a computer that will eventually have all five senses in the next five years, according to a report from IBM. What do you think? Would you buy one? How much do you think it would cost? It seems cognitive computing is coming sooner than we think. I guess the next step are quantum computers.

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would buy it, but I'd like to try it. I am just waiting for the day that they have computer implants. I want a computer in my brain! Something that I can just use to run an assessment on my health and something that will store my memories and project them on a screen.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These computers sound interesting. They will be very expensive initially. After a few years, the price will drop. I love computers, but perhaps I've watched too many science fiction shows. It maybe a dangerous step. I hope that I'm just being paranoid.

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A computer with all five senses... Sounds familiar... Is that a robot? A super AI that could function like a human. Do I want one? It depends upon the price. If these types of computers would come out, I bet that they would cost thousands of dollars. If that is the case, then no.

5. ami560

ami560Member

Threads:
    This might seem cool, but to me it sounds like a gimmick. I have no current use for a computer that can smell, touch, or taste. As for hearing and sight ,those can be accomplished through a webcam and a microphone, which are both easy to come by.

6. techbeast34

techbeast34Member

Threads:
    We already have two senses - Hearing and Sight (Microphone and Webcam). I don't see the smell/taste part being practical, because what would the computer itself think of the smells and tastes? Some people develop a certain taste/smell for things, so I don't see how the computer could do the same. If it is trained to taste/smell the same things you like, then I could see it being as a way of warning someone it will or will not taste/smell good, but either way, it's not too practical. Touch may be practical in the sense of feeling the surface of objects without actually touching it, so say it could be used in Bio-tech to take observations on a sample that is hazardous/volatile. Other than those purposes, I can't see any other use of it.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would definitely like to try one out, so I would probably buy it, as long as I can afford the price. It seems interesting as to how a computer can use it's "5 senses" to do it's job, since I think that the sense of smell has really no use.