Will you ever travel alone?

Discussion in Travel started by 003 • Apr 25, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think traveling alone is good for you as you learn to be independent. I have traveled alone many times and it is only when I travel with someone I realize how much I prefer it. No waiting around and doing things when you want to and not having to discuss or compromise. The few travel companions I have had, were on my travels as I traveled portions of the journey with them. When people are on the same page if it's a lot easier than people with different ideas.

I once traveled with a party of about eight, it started out as three and then became bigger as more people heard about the trip. It was hard work, there were factions and groups split up and logistically it was a nightmare for a long weekend.

2. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I will travel alone. Traveling alone may seem lonely but it is actually fun. It is a perfect time to discover a place all by yourself. There is a certain adventure while learning from traveling alone and meeting new people. You discover not just about the place, but also about yourself because you do things that you thought you are not capable of. You learn about the goodness in all the people you meet because you trust them, even though they are strangers. In traveling alone, you gain confidence, new friends and experience that make the adventure exciting.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve flown alone but met up and/or stayed with friends while traveling. Which I enjoy, but since I tend to enjoy my solitude and independence just as much, I can easily see myself doing a short trip alone. Not more than a week or so, though, because I’ve figured out I’m slightly more social than I’ve always believed myself to be. But the freedom of doing whatever I want, whenever I want on a trip is quite enticing.

4. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a person who can travel alone. I feel board, mostly I prefer to plan with friends, someone from my family, who closes to me or book online tour where i could meet with other travel freaks and could enjoy my journey with them.... It also makes me happy. Recently during my get bus tours ny trip, i got some new friends Chris and Lora they were husband & wife and were so joly. I spend good time and would love to meet them again.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can be called a jetsetter because me and my husband travel to a foreign country at least 2 times a year. In fact, I was in Vietnam last weekend for a short vacation. I cannot imagine myself traveling alone to a faraway place. The total travel time from home to the destination country takes a lot of time - 2 hours to the airport, 3 hours waiting for boarding, 2 hours plane ride, 1 hour transport from airport to hotel. That's a mighty long time to be alone and no one to talk to.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really admire people who are able to travel solo, especially the women. BUT it's really not my thing, plus I'm such a scaredy cat. I doubt I'll ever do it, to be honest. I think I'd also feel bored. With so many single female travellers being attacked, raped and at worst killed on their travels, I strongly believe there's safety in numbers.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also admire people who have the courage to travel alone. You always hear stories about people from sometimes foreign countries who come over to places like the UK or the US by themselves to set up a better life for their families. I just think it takes such bravery, especially if you don't know the language all that well. I am traveling to Amsterdam with friends soon, so I will take not of the whole traveling process then. I will then be more confident about traveling alone.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As much as I love being alone.. especially in places I want to be.. I also enjoy sharing them with the people I love. I would also just be too paranoid to travel alone. No need to be more independent.. I know how to take care of myself and do things on my own, I just don't want to put myself at risk to do it and it's actually much more fun with people who are on the same page. I wouldn't do a group, but my husband would make it all worth while and if I want to be alone at any point, I'd just go off without him here and there.. no biggie.. best of both worlds.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have traveled alone several times. it is not generally as much as traveling with someone, but you get to do what you want to without having to consider someone else. I went on a major trip half way across the United States several years ago and met my then boyfriend in another state. It was actually quite entertaining. I would not suggest doing that unless your car is in good shape though. That is probably the most important consideration.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    Also, if you are going somewhere that you don't knows - especially a country where you don't speak the language - and you don't book a car for hire to take you to where you are going to be staying once you do arrive in that country, you could easy get conned by people who are posing as taxi cab divers, who are really robbers, murders, or rapists. Tourist are the main target because they are out of their comfort zone.

11. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You'll have a great time in Amsterdam, I can assure you. If you are arriving at Schipol airport, the train to Centraal Station is only a few euros (and they are nothing like British trains!). The same journey in a taxi takes the same length of time but costs somewhere in the region of 30 euros. Everyone speaks good English over there too so don't worry about that : )

12. Vicenta

VicentaMember

Threads:
    Me being a girl I would not travel alone only because I feel now a days it isn't safe for a women to travel alone. Also, it wouldn't be as much fun if it is just me myself and I. Lol. I don't like going places alone much so I rather not. I mean if I had to go some where by myself I would but if I didn't need to than no.

13. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I always travel alone, and I can say it's very enjoyable. I get to meet new people and enjoy the places I visit just as much as if I was with someone else. Traveling with a friend can be more fun, but I don't see a problem with traveling alone.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Not me I'd not travel alone especially if it's to a foreign country. I like to go with a tour group and be amongst people that I can talk to and have dinner with. I like the first class accommodations with tour groups, fun things to do together and the prices to travel with tour groups are cheaper! I guess it's up to the individual how they'd like to travel.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    Thank you :) Apparently the flight is only like an hour away from where I currently live, according to my cousin who went there last December. I am now thinking that I will have to convert my money prior to going. I don't know what the credit card fees with be like if I was to keep using ATM's over there.

16. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Krissttina! Glad to meet you and i would say we both having same interests. I am also afraid of traveling alone. Mostly used to travel with a company or tour bus where i could meet with other travel freaks just like me.

17. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I've traveled alone before, but I doubt I'll do it again for any great length of time that's not business-related. I'm quite happy going places with my wife. She likes to travel more than I do anyway.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    I was watching a documentary. It is called Watchdog over here in the UK, and they were doing a feature on things that people who are travelling alone must look out for, and one of those things was restaurant fees for tourists. If you are a tourist and you go to certain restaurants, you will be charged extra for being a tourist, and then you will be charged on top of that for sitting and eating outside of the restaurant. Most tourists just don't question it.

19. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I like traveling alone. I find that it's a great way to recharge. I love that I can be the only one to decide a day's activities. No compromises. I also like that in traveling alone, I don't have to worry about the other person or people. If I want an afternoon nap, I can take one. If I want to stay out until 3am, great. If I want to extend the trip by a few days or cut it short (if tickets can be changed or if traveling by car, I can do that. I don't have to worry about anyone else's potential travel ailments or sleep needs.

I also find that I meet more new people and talk to more people when traveling alone than with a friend or group. If I have a friend along, all of my social needs are pretty much met. I'm talking to them. If I'm alone, I talk to other guests who appear to be alone or the locals of an area more often. I have met quite a few new friends (or at least, facebook friend level people) that way.

20. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Traveling alone gives me tip to think and be me. I do not have to listen to other peoples complaints about something that is not of interest to me, I can visit the things that are of interest to me and go where I want to go. I like traveling alone.