Window 7 or Window 8?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by pandandesign • Dec 30, 2013.

1. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I've been looking for a new laptop in which it's going to be a Windows OS. I have been debating Window 7 or Window 8 because I have heard Window 7 is a better operating system. Window 8 is meant for computers with a touch screen, but it is different because I won't be able to downgrade to Window 7 once I've gotten the Window 8 OS. What do you think? Should I go for the Window 7 or Window 8?

2. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Stick with Windows 7 if you don't plan on using the touch gestures. Windows 8 is horrible in my opinion, the Start screen is filled with useless apps that I don't need. In the end, I have to switch to the desktop app to use it like a normal Windows. An unnecessary hassle.

3. fruii29

fruii29Member

Threads:

I suggest just settle with Windows7. Windows8 is not that user friendly. If you have lived your life with a start button, you won't find it on Windows8. It is very complicated and programs are even hard to find. Even just a simple document, you'll end up loosing your way. So I suggest, choose Windows 7.

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Windows 8 isn't that bad. However, there are certain issues like you accidentally clicking one portion of the screen which would take you to the home screen or clicking on another side which would show the settings. It's a bit sensitive at first. And the lack of a "Start" button is really a bit irksome. For me, I'd personally go for Windows 8. Though it's a bit confusing at first, the added features make it compelling enough to get.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since Windows 8 is aimed at touch screen devices, then I suggest that you stick to Windows 7 instead. I'm using Windows 7 now and it's a decent OS, and since I have been hearing a lot of negative feedback about Windows 8, then I won't install one if ever I get a new laptop.

6. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    I'm still using Windows 7 and have no real reason to change, my sister's laptop has Windows 8 and as flashy and fancy as the metro UI looks its not something I really see myself using. I wouldn't mind a change though, hopefully Microsoft's next software package brings something more exciting.

7. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I say go test 8 out in a shop just so that you get a hang and feel for it. If you are going to use your machine for some serious work then i say that 7 is the safer option for now as there are no real compatibility issues at the moment and for me it is really smooth. But if it just general use then go ahead and get 8.

8. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion they overdid it with Windows 8. As some of the other posters have stated, if you have a touch screen device and are looking for a Windows os then definitely give 8 a try. If you have a regular non touch screen device, then I would stick with Windows 7. It is a very clean cut system with little to no flaws in my opinion.

9. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with this. Unless your laptop is a touchscreen, Windows 8 can be a pain in the butt. I have windows 8. My laptop is not a touchscreen and I have found it to be very annoying. My suggestion is to go with Windows 7 and upgrade to Windows 8 later if you want to.

10. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    I still have Windows 7 because it's the classic look of a computer to me. Windows 8 is just like smartphones and tablets and I feel like they should've just left things the way they were. If you don't have a touchscreen computer then I'd say stick with the classic look with Windows 7 but if you have a touchscreen or want to keep up with the times or what's trendy then get Windows 8.

11. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    If you do have the option, choose Windows7. Even if it comes with Windows8, just format it and put Windows7. For some reason Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to implement a touch-based interface for their next OS... when most of places where it would be used don't have touchscreens in the first place.

Also Seven it's already mature enough to have it's problems solved by now.

12. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    I think that it really depends on what you're going to be using your computer for. I looked at Windows 8 when I bought my laptop; however I've worked with computers for many years and overall the Windows 7 operating system matched my needs much better than Windows 8. For those who like a touch screen I can see how they might prefer Windows 8, but I do so much typing that I didn't feel it would suit my needs for the most part. I can always choose a software program like dragon to avoid so much typing too, so hands down I went with Windows 7 and it is a nice operating system; where I haven't heard very many positive things about Windows 8; nor from any of the reviews that I checked out for Windows 8.

13. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Windows 7 is great for overall system if you don't have a touch screen. Otherwise, you need to amp up to Windows 8. It's the wave of the future and soon, anyone who doesn't have this system will be behind (tech-wise).

14. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I had a hard time finding laptops with Windows 7 a couple of months ago when I needed a new laptop, so I settled with a laptop with Windows 8. It took awhile to get used to, and I'd honestly rather have Windows 7, but Windows 8 isn't that bad. It seems like a step in the right direction, but the whole "no start button" thing is pretty annoying.

15. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    You'll probably get Windows 8 when you order a new computer but since 8.1 you can just choose to let it automatically boot to a normal desktop.
    I really don't like Windows 8 with the Metro UI because I think it's only suited for computers with a touch screen. If you don't have a touch screen, certain movements and actions will be very tricky when done with a mouse.

16. jriley

jrileyNew Member

Threads:
    Linux is free, but you can't really play games or use all the same software.

17. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Windows 8 is great when it comes to touch devices but whack when used on non touch devices. That is the statistic I have carried out. Personally I will stick to Windows 7 for a while until things become better on the Windows 8 side.

18. Brad

BradMember

Threads:
    I much prefer Windows 7. I'm currently using Windows 8 on my laptop and I can't say it's awful, but most of the programs/games are not compatible with Windows 8, so I'd probably prefer to have Windows 7 on this laptop for that reason. Apart from that reason, Windows 8 is actually really good and I'd have it on a computer I'm not going to be using for gaming.

19. Guru

GuruMember

Threads:
    Besides gaming, most software is now available for Linux. At least most office software is.

I prefer Windows 7 so Windows 8. I don't like the tabbed interface at all and prefer the search bar being right above the windows button.

20. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Windows 8 is very slick, and that is all that it has to it. Stick with Win 7 - it's fast, it works well, and thankfully it isn't Win 8.