Window Treatments That Save Energy

Discussion in Home & Garden started by thisnthat • Oct 14, 2016.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Have you heard of energy efficient window treatments? I have heard of insulated drapes, but I guess there is more to it than that.

of seven different treatments that are said to lower your energy bills.

I have used various tricks like adding a flannel backing to winter drapes and curtains, but I didn't know that there were so many options. Do you have any tips or tricks that you use to help maintain the temperature inside your home and save energy?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have thought of replacing some of the window treatments here in this house, in order to save money. It's hot here much of the year, and the air conditioning bills can be outrageous, and it definitely becomes a struggle to keep up with them in the summers. I have the opposite issue in the Winter. This house is not well insulated at all, and despite adding foam around the windows and doors, the bills don't seem to go down. My mom uses some sort of film on the windows, and I'm considering doing the same.

3. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Our current home is pretty well-insulated. Still, I'm always up for savings (and saving energy). While a good deal of our weather is fairly mild, we do get some extreme hot and extreme cold at times. I just figured if something as simple as changing window treatments could make a difference then it was well worth having a look.

I thought it was interesting too, since I hadn't realized just how much of an impact window treatments could make.

The mesh treatment or the reflective film might work for you in the summer. You'd probably have to change them for wintertime though.

What does your mother use, the kind you put on with a hairdryer? I've heard that it works decently and is affordable. I've seen it in hardware stores and Walmart and stuff.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still haven't looked into the window film, but the temperatures have started dropping here, so I will be doing so soon. I decided to buy one set of insulated drapes for the bedroom. I like my room just a bit chilly when I'm sleeping, but since this house is very poorly insulated/sealed, I thought that would be the best room to start working on. I found a good deal on them, and they had really good reviews. If they work out, I'll do a post in the reviews section, so others can benefit from my trial. If they work out, I might also purchase a few more sets for the other windows, particularly in the office, and on the back door.

5. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, nice, Diane. I hope they work out for you. I have some in my room as well. I haven't done the rest of the house though. I also prefer to have something that lets the sun in, so I thought the other options sounded nicer than heavy drapes.

I look forward to seeing how these turn out for you. I'm still looking (or will be after the holidays) for more options. It just seems like such a simple fix, yet it might make a big difference. Savings and convenience? Yes, please.