Windows 10 Is Here

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by DrRipley • Oct 1, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:

Microsoft had a conference announcing their soon to be released OS just a few days ago, and yes, they are calling it Windows 10 instead of 9 for some reason. I personally haven't been a fan of their interface design since Windows 7 but this one actually looks kind of good to me. They are bringing back the start menu button too, which I know many people would be happy with, including myself. Also, from what I understand from this video, it looks like they will be looking for feedback prior to full release, and I don't think they've ever done this before so it will probably be interesting.

What do you guys think? Does this interest you at all? Do you like the new design so far? Will you participate in giving them feedback?

#1Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
  2. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm excited. Microsoft has a history of putting out great operating systems after they're cleaning up from Stinkers. I love Windows 7 and can't wait for Windows 10 to hopefully bring them back to their roots. Plus, the Dad in me loves the "Windows 10, because 7 ate 9" joke :)

3. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm actually really excited! I'm still using windows 7 because i refused to upgrade to win 8 for obvious reasons. But from what I've seen from Windows 10 preview, i think it's going to be amazing and probably the biggest release windows will ever have. I love how in Windows 10, we can have multiple windows open at the same time. I think that's what I'm really excited about the most. I seriously can't wait! :)

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't really be bothered spending much thought on the latest window program. I still have windows7 and don't need anything more for now. My computer doesn't have to be super efficient and on par with the latest technology. All it has to do is open word for me and let me access the internet. Often I think, the less I see of my computer, the better.

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I hope they offer a free upgrade. I'm glad that they actually listened to the people's complain and hate of Windows 8, I actually think they should drop the Modern UI and just go back to the way it used to. But still, this is a welcome update to the OS and I'm glad they brought back the classic Start Button.

6. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I'm actually excited for this update. I've been waiting for the next version of Windows and I think this latest one would be a great update to the previous ones. If Microsoft manages to fuse in both the Windows 7 and 8 features that we all love then this would probably make me switch back to Windows. But I think I have to try this version first before I take my verdict.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    And live off of what, air? They are developers, not charity, why would you even think they would give you free upgrade? That's like asking EA to give you a new version of their sports games every year for free, because you already bought one way back in 98..

8. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Windows 10 is really just about making tweaks and improving performance. There aren't any major changes for Windows 10, and bringing back the start menu isn't a major change since 8.1 almost did that exact same thing. It's a combination of the best of both 8.1 and Windows 7, while offering a few extra features and some tweaks. It'll no doubt be an improvement over Windows 7 and Windows 8, but it's probably going to feel very familiar for most of us. There's nothing wrong with that as long as improvements are made to stability, performance, and other aspects.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm confused by this now, because Microsoft has a pretty consistent pattern of releasing a crappy OS followed by a great OS followed by another crappy OS. Windows 7 was a great OS, 8 sucked, and 9 was supposed to be the "good" one but they have since scrapped it and are jumping to 10 which may be the good one or the bad one depending on how you look at it.

I am glad they brought back the start menu, but those stupid tiles need to go. Those are such a huge waste of screen space - I understand they are trying to design for touch screen users as well, but we don't need buttons that are 4" x 4" big, that looks like a kids toy. Plus those garish jewel colors give me a headache looking at them, they all clash.

They should instead have just made the traditional Windows UI more flexible to have slightly larger buttons for touch screen devices, kind of like a "responsive" web page.

10. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I am really happy with 8 and very little about 10 is exciting me. I think the return of the start menu and cramming my beloved start screen into it is going backwards and unless I have to buy a new laptop or computer, I may hold off on it for as long as I can. I really love 8.

11. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Still looks like crap, but nothing can be worse than Windows 8...
    That snap feature actually looked cool.
    Either way, this was a happy day, but I'm still keeping Windows 7.