Windows 10

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Sunflogun • Jun 17, 2015.

1. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are you saying that you reserved Windows 10 on the day it was released? If they're doing a tiered rollout of the operating system, then why would you do that? Of course it's going to take weeks, in that case, because you're behind millions of people that reserved their upgrades weeks in advance. Windows 10 changes a lot of things from Windows 7 and 8, and the Edge browser should be a worthy competitor to Google Chrome after extensions are enabled. FireFox has fallen behind.

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I did it before the 29th. For my mom's laptop I signed up after the 29th and it said it was ready to download right away (I didn't go through with it yet). It is just so odd to me that it was like this almost as if I shouldn't do it on mine. I have read a lot of reviews on 10 and it doesn't sound like I would like any of the changes. Also I do not like Chrome. Edge just sounds like a less buggy version of Internet Explorer with a few features that I would never use. I know I don't know until I try it but I'm just iffy about having to back up my computer and then finding out I did all that backing up for nothing.

3. BeccaShopper

BeccaShopperNew Member

Threads:
    I just got a new laptop, and it came with an offer to upgrade to Windows 10. Some people have said it works great, some have said it's super buggy...maybe it depends on the computer? I think I'm going to wait, I'm satisfied with Windows 8 and I'd rather be sure all the kinks are worked out before I try to upgrade.

4. Snakevenom

SnakevenomNew Member

Threads:
    I think they effectively made it in order to fix their mistakes in windows 8, having their latest product being a pretty big failure (although I liked it) does not look good to customers and investors. They want their newest product to be a big success so releasing windows 10 was very important.

5. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    After reading all the different comments on this new system Windows 10 I am still wondering whether or not I should upgrade. My biggest fear is that something goes wrong and I end up with no system. If I decide I don't like Windows 10 how do i go about reinstalling windows 8.1, and is it that big of a difference from windows 8.1. What to do, I'm excited about it but at the same time I'm not sure.....

6. troutski

Threads:
    Just upgrade. It's not going to wipe out your system. I haven't seen a single report of that, unless you turn off the machine during installation. In the settings menu, there's literally a button that lets you downgrade back to Windows 8.1 from Windows 10. It's available for the first 30 days after you install the new operating system. It's a decent difference. It takes the best of both worlds from Windows 7 and 8/8.1 and puts it into one OS with a few new, great features.

7. dorothymoreno

Threads:
    Oh see I didn't know that there was a button in the settings menu to downgrade back to the windows 8.1 that is good to know. So if I upgrade to the windows 10 will have the system restore option like windows 8.1 where I can restore it back to i guess the factory default if my computer were to be messing up , like it has in windows 8.1, and if I were to download to 8.1 would that part of the downgrade be put back to where I can restore to factory default. I am so new at this stuff, i wonder if I would be able to make backup disc of the windows 10 like i did with windows 8.1.

8. dorothymoreno

Threads:
    Seeing a lot of mixed feelings on the Windows 10 upgrade. I am still waiting on upgrading but I really am anxious to do so. I'm just waiting a little to see how it is gonna go, I don't want to upgrade and then when I decide to downgrade loose what I already have on my computer. So I've decided to wait a little longer.:(

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think they are right in making a new OS since their old ones have become outdated with new technology and their first attempt was lackluster. From what I've seen so far Windows 10 seems like an improvement and I'm sure they have bigger plans on how to better integrate themselves onto the mobile market from what they have learned from their previous version. I like that they are offering it for free too although I am skeptical why they chose to make it available even for pirated versions as well.

10. troutski

Threads:
    Now, to be fair, you don't lose anything if you wait to upgrade. I think it's a better idea to just upgrade and decide if you like Windows 10 or not. You can always downgrade...within 30 days of upgrading, and then you can probably upgrade again within that first year of release. I doubt you'll get a second chance to downgrade, though. As long as you upgrade within 365 days of release, then you can still get the free FULL VERSION of Windows 10, so you can wait, if that's your preference.

11. dorothymoreno

Threads:
    They are saying that the upgrade to Windows 10 is the Full Version, so does that mean we will be able to make restore DVDs like we did with our orginal Windows, in order to use if we cant start our computer, and will it have the recovery files on the computer the way windows 8.1 does now so that I can restore to the windows 10 if ever needed. Just wondering, or do we have to buy them.

12. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    Honestly, I think Windows 10 is a great idea. I like that it's a free upgrade, and it's far better than any version of Windows I've used before. I find it far better than Windows 8 (as the start button is really useful) and I think it's overall user-friendly. If it wasn't free, I probably wouldn't have upgraded, but as a free upgrade, I think it's definitely worth it. I think the main reason I like it so much is because I hate Windows 8.

13. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I'm totally fine with Windows 10 being released so soon. Especially since it's free, what's the harm? I recently upgraded and I've have nothing but good things to say really. It's not too different than Windows 8, which itself was okay. Windows 10 pretty much improves on everything that Windows 8 lacked.

14. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I've been trying to get some information on Windows 10 and apparently it's lighter than their predecessors 7 and 8? Can this be? I was under the impression that the more recent the OS is the heavier it is as well?

15. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I still haven't updated to Windows 10 i heard so many bad reviews about it. I don't think alot of people are still using Xp nowadays, Windows 7 however is still a big thing, I'm still using it myself. I think it's reasonable for Microsoft to release Windows 10 not to mention it's for free. It's still people's choice if they want to use it or not.

16. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I am not rushing to #10. The older versions are easier for me to use, and I do not like having to go through yet another learning curve to be able to function. It is ridiculous how they keep coming out with a new update, before we even get a chance to get comfortable with the one we are using.

17. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I thought it was a little odd one Microsoft started offering Windows 7 and 8 users to update it for free. I didn't updated because I wasn't truth it was good, however couple people have told me just this week that it is pretty good so I'm thinking of upgrading.

18. karamara

karamaraMember

Threads:
    Yes it makes total sense, at least for me. It's not really about how many users each OS still have, it's about the quality of the technology. Although Windows XP and Vista are still good operating systems and can still perform their tasks pretty well you have to consider the risks of using old technology. Also the lack of support when it comes to applications and security updates is a big problem when you're using old versions of current technology.

Also there are some performance issues that needs addressing and releasing a new OS if pretty much the best thing to fix those issues since you're starting from scratch and building everything brick by brick instead of patching up holes.

19. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I just got mine recently and it was a pain to upgrade. First of all the damn Windows 10 upgrade app doesn't work at all, every time Windows Update tries to install the OS it fails and gives me an error message. I was about to give up on the upgrade since it's pretty much not a crucial thing for me but I could never pass up for a free upgrade.

20. Harlek

HarlekMember

Threads:
    With Windows 8 being mostly a flop, it makes total sense for MS to upgrade and release a new OS. Besides, it's 2015 and technology changes very dramatically over the years so if you're still using Windows XP then you're risking your computers security and functionality.

I have Windows XP on my old laptop and it still runs fine but the problem is whenever I plug in a flash drive, the whole thing is infected with viruses and the lack of support makes it all the worst and very worthwhile to upgrade.