Windows 7 end of support

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Peninha • Jul 15, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Did you guys know that the mainstream end of support for Windows 7 will be in January 2015? I suppose Microsoft expects that Windows 8 is mainstream by then, I am not that certain that it will happen. Either cases "extended" support for Windows 7 will continue until 2020, still a long way to go.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that that support thing only concerns those who download automatic updates for their OS. As for me, I don't download them anymore ever since I downloaded a very buggy Windows Vista update that messed up my theme and I can't undo it. It made the pc look like Windows '98 was installed on it. So because of that, I now couldn't care less about downloading their updates or their support for the OS if it's still available or not.

3. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    To me I think Win 7 is the best since XP. Too bad it's ending so soon. Microsoft is trying to push Windows 8 so I guess it's to be expected. Even so, I was hoping that Win 7 could have lasted longer.

4. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Seriously? Because that's the worst thing you could ever do if you're using any OS.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Microsoft will shift over to Windows 8 and then probably release Windows 9 before the end of 2015. Windows 9 is expected to be a major overhaul that corrects the mistakes of Windows 8 and works more like Windows 7. It remains to be seen what Microsoft actually does with its newest operating system, but tech analysts are pretty excited. I'll probably migrate to Windows 8 just to avoid issues with updates and whatnot.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I didn't know that. Thanks for the information. I have still got windows 7 and am happy with it. I haven't felt like upgrading, but it seems that soon it might be necessary. It sounds just like what happened with my old phone. One day it was simply superseded. All the prepaid credit functions didn't work anymore without any warning. When I rang up my phone company they told me that I had to get a new phone, preferably a smartphone.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Let's see what Windows 9 will bring, most likely Windows 8 is just Windows Vista all over again and Windows 9 will bring something more reliable? Pretty crazy how Microsoft keeps doing the same stuff all over and over again, don't they ever learn?

8. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    If you think Windows 8 is just a rehash of Vista, you've obviously not kept up to date with the news. You need to update to 8.1 which fixes all the issues people were having-which was more personal taste than anything truthfully

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Really?! I didn't know that. I don't want a Windows 8 PC. Windows 8 is fine for tables and other mobile devices. I don't want it on a PC. Good grief!

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not saying Windows 8 is as bad as Windows Vista, but why do Microsoft people don't do the things right at the first time, don't they have enough experience? What's the point in releasing Windows 8 to realize that there were a lot of issues and a couple of months later releasing Windows 8.1?

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You've got to be kidding me! I just got a Windows 7 computer because support for XP ended 4 months ago and now my new operating system is going to be obsolete in a few months?
    That's really messed up and I'm disgusted. I guess I'll have to ride it out with an outdated OS for a while, because I'm not getting Windows 8. I hate the interface.
    OP, what do you mean by "extended support" until 2020?

#11Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  12. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    They will probably extend this deadline in much the same way they did for XP. As much as Microsoft does not want to admit it, Windows 8 is not yet the main operating system used by many people. My laptop is not even two years old and is running Windows 7 as are many laptops of similar age, which is about the midl-life average age for a laptop. I guess it really comes down to how hard Microsoft wants to push Windows 8 down our throats.

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Really?

They supported XP up until within the last year....so for about 10 years. And they kill support for Windows 7 the very next year? Not cool.

Or smart...

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They probably have something up their sleeve. An OS that's better than Windows 8 but feels like good old XP. Who knows? I would switch over to Windows 9 if it was in any way similar to Windows XP. Windows 7 users shouldn't complain that much. It certainly wasn't one of Microsoft's best OS's.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not complaining specifically about losing Windows 7, I'm complaining because I was forced to give up XP when support ended and already I'm being forced to upgrade again to Windows 8 and I have no money to do so.
    I can't afford to buy a new copy of Windows every year, it's expensive software, so I'm angry about that, not because I think Windows 7 is the best. I just upgraded to a Windows 7 computer and it was a financial sacrifice, now I have to spend more money?

16. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Microsoft will continue to issue security upgrades until 2020. This is great news! That's all I carry about.

17. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not concerned at all with Windows 7 considering I am still running Windows XP with no problems at all, most likely I will jump directly to Windows 8 or even Windows 9, I don't rush to get the latest model or version, I use it until it serves me.

18. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Are you still on Windows XP for any specific reason, like some software that you use for work?
    I think you should try out Windows 7 before jumping straight into 8, it's an easier transition than what you're planning.

19. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nah, I am with Windows XP because that's the operating system that came with the laptop and so far is working fine. I've considered upgrading the operating system and was advised to put Windows 8 and not 7 because it seems that it's actually faster and lighter. I've been working with both Windows 7 and 8 in other computers though, I am used to them.

20. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    As I understand it, mainstream support for Windows 7 will end in January 2015, but extended support will be available until the year 2020. However, it will be subscription based. My laptop is still running Windows 7. I think I will wait until Windows 9 before purchasing a new computer. I wonder what changes it will bring.