Windows 7 end of support

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Peninha • Jul 15, 2014.

1. devilishomar

devilishomarMember

Threads:
    If we're talking about just the mainstream support, I think it would go till 2016 max (could be 2015, but that's a tad bit too early). Microsoft's primary focus is mainstreaming Windows 8, and they won't get that by keeping the same amount of support with their older operating systems at this rate (especially with Windows 8 reputation).

I'm sure Microsoft will have support for Windows 7 till 2020, but it won't be mainstream. They'll only support serious issues like fatal security issues that need to be addressed, not more than that. For small issues, they simply wouldn't have the time (and it wouldn't even be worth it) to keep up support of since they have a new operating system designed to fix those problems (and have more support of)

2. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wonder what sort of work giving support to the operating systems give, most likely almost nothing. I compare it to Apple products and they seem to run smoothly while Windows is always finding problems that need updates, it's pretty crazy, like they always have something to install in OUR computers. Sounds fishy.

3. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    I thought that the updates will be up to 2020 for everyone, but it will only be the security fixes and there will be no more new features offered.
    Also, I think I'll end up using Windows 7 until there is a OS that is much better, that are worth for me to upgrade to, since Windows 7 runs just fine at the moment, and I am not too bothered about security updates as there isn't any information that is so important that I cannot leak out whatsoever.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I really think it won't end that soon. I mean look at Windows XP, it took years before they officially cut the support for that. And since Windows 7 is probably the best version of Windows second only to XP I think it will be a real long while before they cut the support for it.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Has anyone heard any updates on this? Some video of the "improved" Windows 9 which brings back the start menu has surfaced, but it sounds like it's still a ways off from being ready for release. That seems kind of crappy that they would force people over to a Windows 8 upgrade shortly before they are about to release a better and more improved Windows 9. Nobody liked Windows 8, they need to get over it. They should support Windows 7 all the way up to and a few months beyond the release of Windows 9. I don't expect them to drag support for the OS out to 15 years like they did for Windows XP, but they should at least right the wrong and not compromise Windows 7 users who chose not to upgrade because Windows 8 sucked.

6. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    2020? Wow that's a long time. Talk about making a good OS. I think it will last longer than that if Windows 9 came out to be okay since most people hated Windows 8 and if that continued off with Windows 9 then I guess the support should last until 2030 or at least until Microsoft makes a better OS.

7. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Seriously? This is news to me! Wow, I've never really considered upgrading to Windows 8. I'm more than okay with windows 7 and i don't see any problems with it. Geez, Microsoft, give us a little more time with Windows 7. I can't let it go yet. Personally, i think it's better than Windows 8 and much more solid and stable. I really don't like Windows 8 that much, although i really appreciate the metro-style browsing, the interface does looks pretty. Oh well, i don't know, eventually I'll probably upgrade to Windows 8. :[

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Up to 2020 is a really long time and as a user of Windows XP I wonder really what good are these updates are for since I am using the XP since April with no updates and it's running just fine. Either cases, I believe we should use what works for us regardless of the updates.

9. Rick321

Rick321New Member

Threads:
    Here is a helpful chart straight from Microsoft:

Client operating systems Latest update or service pack End of mainstream support End of extended support

Windows XP Service Pack 3 April 14, 2009 April 8, 2014

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 April 10, 2012 April 11, 2017

Windows 7 * Service Pack 1 January 13, 2015 January 14, 2020

Windows 8 Windows 8.1 January 9, 2018 January 10, 2023

* Support for Windows 7 RTM without service packs ended on April 9, 2013.

They use this product life cycle so businesses will feel confident they aren't making a big expenditure that will become obsolete overnight. I have never used Windows 8 very much. It is not intuitive to a user of previous versions and has an extremely poor interface, IMO. My theory is always they don't pay me enough to do the research and development for their new operating systems and I don't want to be the one to find all their bugs. Keep what works until there is some feature in a new operating system you can't live without.

With that said, never upgrade an operating system on your existing computer. The OS was optimized for your system and the drivers for your particular hardware configuration. It is extremely likely you will have major issues upgrading your OS. HP is still selling systems with Windows 7, but my last email ad from them said "not for long". My guess is they will no longer sell them after the January 13, 2015 support cut-off date. If you really love Windows 7 (like I do), it might be prudent to buy your next computer during the holiday sales coming up while you can still find Windows 7 machines. You will still be getting fixes and updates from Microsoft until 2020.

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that might be a good advice Rick, that is why I am still running my XP, it's still working fine, sure sort of slow now and then, but I fear that from the moment I upgrade it to Windows 8 it might turn so slow that I need to reinstall XP again...

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From what I understand, "mainstream support" mostly encompasses things like live support (by phone etc.) and updates in knowledge base, which most people won't really use that often, if ever. So this sounds worse than it actually will be. The only thing that could be problematic is that subscription ("agreement" or what) based update system, but as I have a legitimate copy of Windows, I don't really care. It'll be a one-time annoyance at worst.

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I understand that mainstream support means that the Microsoft guys are most of them working to make that operative system work, while lesser guys are working on other operating systems, but what you say makes sense as well Aladar, maybe for older OS they don't give any support at all.