Windows 8 Advantages And Disadvantages

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by DrRipley • May 14, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I recently got to use Windows 8 on my friend's laptop, and I found it very confusing and unnecessarily complex. I'd like to know if any of our members here have a similar opinion, or if any of you are fans enough to tell me otherwise. So far, I've found it to be way less enjoyable to use than any of its predecessors, and even if I don't like Mac OS all that much, I'd at least give it commendation that it's simple enough for me to figure out all the features such as networking and various tweaks to installations, whereas with Windows 8, I feel as though you'd have to spend a significant amount of time with it to get the hang of it and to get to use the normal features you'd easily figure out on other OS's.

What do you guys think of Windows 8, and what would you say are its biggest advantages and disadvantages over other options?

2. Inconsitency

InconsitencyNew Member

Threads:
    Personally, I find Windows 7 pretty easy to use, and thus, I also find Windows 8 is fairly easy to use because they are quite similar. One of Windows 8's greatest advantage is that it is by far, the most efficient and fastest OS released so far. On the other hand, I think one of its greatest disadvantages is that it is hard to pick up. A lot of users have had difficulties from shifting from one of its predecessors to Windows 8, due to its "Metro" style. Basically, they put a bunch of fancy stuff and removed the start button, although they have stated that they'll be bringing it back soon.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I didn't know they were bringing back the start menu, and if they really push through with it, then I'm glad, since I really don't get the new interface that much at all. I personally don't find it as intuitive as the Mac interface even though I do prefer the way it looks a bit more. I think it's good that they are willing to correct their mistakes and listen to their consumers, even though I'm sure it's more of a financially motivated decision than anything else. Anyway, thanks for your insight. I really hope to get the hang of Windows 8 someday, but as of now, I'm having trouble with even the basic functions I'd easily solve in Macs or previous versions of Windows such as networking.

4. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    I struggled with Windows 8, I got used to it and I convinced myself that the whole Metro screen is quite useful and well thought of. Then I used my friend's Windows 7 laptop and realized how much better a 'regular' Start Menu is.

Overall Windows 8 is an upgrade, but not a major one. Games run a little better on 8 and the boot times are way faster. If Microsoft didn't force tablet user interface for desktop users, Windows 8 would be an awesome OS.

Of course there are third party programs to bring back regular start menu (I'm using Start8), but IMO it should be a default choice.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the disadvantage of Windows 8 is not having the start button. I always get messed up even until now after a year of using it. And for the advantage is its own Windows 8 interface. I just find it so cool. I think that they could have put it without removing the start button. They should have in my opinion. Another thing I consider cool in Window is its own applications not related to the Desktop applications. But at some point, I also find this a sort of disadvantages because some of those pre-built applications are not really necessary because you could download a counterpart of them in the desktop so they only consume memory without people to be really needing them.

6. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I have windows 8 and when it starts up the first thing I do is click on the desktop icon to get to something more familiar. This allows me to have an interface that is almost the same as it was over the last few iterations of Windows. Now that I know where the control panel is (pop out side bar) and how to access the file directory, I can set up the same icons I was previously using.

The start page, however gets to be a mess. Every exe file on the machine wants an icon on that page and it gets cluttered. My system came pre-installed with a bunch of apps that I am unfamiliar with and are unnecessary but I don't know whether they came through windows or other software that was installed.

The one thing I truly dislike is the default to go back to the start screen and apps when I plug in my camera or other devices. I don't want to use these apps and I don't like it automatically opening them and kicking me out of the desktop.

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah not having the start button can be tricky sometimes. I'm pretty used to it by now but there are times with the navigation that it's almost like I am drunk.
    Anyway I like the start screen because the background is pretty cool looking and I think you can change it to whatever you want. I also like the look of the menu (is that what you mean by interface?)
    The thing I really dislike about Windows 8 though is having to login everytime you start up the computer or even when it's just on standby. I know my password but somehow it often takes me like 10 times to get it to work.

8. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I did not think that there any disadvantages with Windows 8. I think that it was the best software that Microsoft has ever brought out. Windows XP was amazing and I really felt that they were not able to recover from. Windows 7 was a good attempt but it was pretty much similar to windows XP and so you could use either or. Windows 8 from me is just brilliant. I had to get a tutorial from YouTube for me to be able to understand how to use it. But once I got the basics, I was sit. I fell in love with Windows 8 and I will never go back. In my opinion Windows 8 has set a high standard and ultimately is the number one operating system. It is even better than the Apple operating system.

9. silentrascal

silentrascalNew Member

Threads:
    I'm the kind who will go out after the "latest and greatest" when it comes to computer operating systems and other software. I've worked with Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and now Windows 8/8.1. I think Microsoft did itself a big disservice by removing the traditional Start Menu from Windows 8. The Windows 8.1 update has helped somewhat by allowing you to bypass that Live Tile start screen and boot directly to the desktop, but there are still certain functions of Windows 8 that I simply never use nor have any need for it. I definitely like the look of Windows 8, as the Windows environment could have used a radical redesign in user interface. But as intended, Windows 8 is really meant for a tablet, which I don't own, as opposed to a standard home PC. But I LOVE the speed of Windows 8, particularly when booting up or rebooting. I'm looking forward to seeing what other adjustments or changes Microsoft has in mind in upcoming service packs.

10. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    Windows 8 - Bleh!!

Windows 8 is designed specifically for a touch screen tablet or touch laptop. What I found most disappointing is that Microsoft basically threw their thriving PC users under the bus to try to cater to much smaller and insignificant tablet crowd. With all of Microsoft's failed ventures, I would never of imagined them trying to forgo their PC crowd, their one successful venture, for new one, which again is bound to fail.

Yes, the advantage of speed is there, but the user interface is terrible. It is pain to navigate in windows 8, especially, switching views. Furthermore, the worst thing that they have done is to create a separate apps section. It conflicts with programs. Why I am saddened so much, is that they are badly re-modelling an already successful enterprise. Why change when it is functioning so well? A PC is not a mobile device. So they should not try to make it into one.

There are not many advantages. I reverted back to Windows 7. Now, this is a good OS.

11. Nickchick

Threads:
    Yeah even though I don't like Windows 7 for some reason, I can see what you mean about the apps. Often times I will end up installing programs by the app store because I believe when you are choosing a program to open the file with that is in the default. It just gets so confusing and the apps aren't even useful sometimes so you need to be able to get to the traditional way easier.

12. JoshTheboss

JoshThebossMember

Threads:
    They never "took away" the start menu. That's what the "metro tiles screen" IS. It's an updated start menu.

For some reason, people do not understand Windows 8. All they did was make the start menu full screen with visual tiles, then moved search and power off to moving your mouse to the right side of the screen.

Everything else is basically the same.

Windows 8 is great and just takes one week to get used to.

13. Nickchick

Threads:
    I think it takes more than a week to get used to. Sometimes I still need to get used to all the features. Maybe I haven't played around with it enough idk but that's not really the issue. It might be due to all the bugs that they need to work out but I have heard that Windows 8 has more tendency to crash. I think this is the case for me. I used to do multi-tasking easily no problem on my XP which was super old. The only time I have problems with it is when I had a nasty virus. I guess it can still be easy on 8 but it just depends. Once a program hangs, it will slow up the whole computer.