Windows 8 Upgrade Pricing... Only $40!

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Svoboda • Jul 3, 2012.

1. Svoboda

SvobodaNew Member

Threads:
    Microsoft dropped some huge news today in the tech arena when they announced that Windows users will be able to upgrade to Windows 8 Professional for only $40. This is pretty significant because Microsoft has never release an operating system upgrade at that price level -- never below $120 if I remember correctly. This aggressive pricing is showing that they're serious about building their tablet market because they'll want users to get on the same platform as their Windows 8 tablet and Windows phones for a unified experience. Can't wait until I can get my hands on Windows 8 Pro.

2. cluckis

cluckisBanned

Threads:
    I have the Windows 8 Preview, and its not that good. I would rather stay with Windows 7 or vista. But that is a very good price. The Windows 8 OS seems to mostly be for Touch Screen PC's. But it does work on Laptops and desktops though.

Long story short, Its a good price, but I really dont think its good for anything else than Touch Screen TV's. But thats just my opinions.

3. Svoboda

SvobodaNew Member

Threads:
    What specifically don't you like about it? Being that it's dual modal, you use the normal desktop when you don't want to use the Metro interface. Additionally, touch screen monitors are going to become the norm on home computers as soon as screen costs are more reasonable. You can pick up 19" touch screen monitors right now for $250-350 at Frys. I'd imagine once you have one of those, it would make the OS much more responsive.

4. izzypopa

izzypopaNew Member

Threads:
    I think microsoft made a great move here, their new OS 'Windows 8" isn't really a great upgrade from Windows 7 at all, maybe a different design and some other things but thats about it, i will stick with my 64 bit 7 version for quite a while, until something outstanding comes from Windows 8 anyways

5. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    This is an affordable price and I'm happy they didn't charge $99 like Windows 7. I'm using Windows 8 right now and it's amazing. There are all sorts of new options to explore. There is a rumor that Microsoft was thinking about making the PC play Xbox games. Of course this is just speculation, but anythings possible. It would be cool if they did because Apple wouldn't have an answer for that.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's a great price, but I don't think I will upgrade my current computers. They both run on Windows XP and I'm very satisfied with their performance. I'm not even sure that even if I wanted to, I could go from XP to Windows 8. I'm looking forward to the Microsoft Surface Tablet.

7. Svoboda

SvobodaNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, you will be able to upgrade Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 to Windows 8 for $40.

8. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    Wow that's amazing, I have always dreaded upgrading the OS since the new ones are normally so expensive. Microsoft seems to be doing something right after years of missteps, their latest OS is about to hit the market and their tablet has got some good reviews. I sincerely hope that Windows 8 delivers on its promises, after all it is a bold new OS from a company not known for its innovations.

9. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I have heard about this I think last week and I am quite surprise because I was expecting the official release to be more or less a hundred bucks. I am not sure what move is this for microsoft but since it will benefit all the users who are interested in the new windows, then I would just grab the opportunity, Actually I have already upgraded. :D

10. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    That is a great price but I think I will stay on Windows 7 for awhile. I have no problems and don't usually upgrade my OS when they first come out. I wait for at least a year or so until they get all the problems worked out.

11. masteraljon

masteraljonMember

Threads:
    well the price was cheap , but how about its quality? jot got my windows 8 preview and im not satisfied at all.

12. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Why aren't you satisfied? I have it downloaded and it runs great with the exception of a few bugs. That's understandable because it's just the beta version.

13. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    I haven't really read much about Windows 8 yet, but I'm not sure I would upgrade until I know it isn't a step backwards! I liked XP, but I really didn't get on with Vista and couldn't wait to get rid of it. I really like windows 7, so I would like to keep it as long as possible, or at least until there is a big leap forward to make it worth while upgrading. Plus, I am useless at fixing any problems, so I'll wait till they're all worked out!

14. Svoboda

SvobodaNew Member

Threads:
    I notice a lot of people saying it, but nobody is giving any real answers on why. It's definitely a culture shock since the desktop isn't the first thing you see. People need to give things a good look before writing them off.

15. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    Answered my question, thanks. I hate Vista and will be upgrading my mom's HP to Windows 8 now.
    Thank you all!

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always wondered if Microsoft was in cahoots with computer manufacturers by keeping the price of Windows so high to spur computer sales. I could never bring myself to pay full price for Windows when that's almost half the cost of just getting a whole new computer. There's no way Microsoft is charging the computer manufacturers that much per system.

17. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    Amazing!

I will be sure to pick one up right away. I've been reading up on so many articles about it lately, and Windows 8 is something I really want to get the jump on ASAP. It seems so futuristic, stuff that I used to dream of when I was a kid. Who really does not want an OS based on the touchscreen interface!

Welcome to the future!

18. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    Is the price only for the gadgets or the PC's as well? I use Windows 7 in any case.
    Ever since hearing about poor gaming performance on Windows 8, my opinion has been set.
    I wonder when we'll see some good drivers fully optimized for entertainment. No, I'll stick with my Windows 7 for now.

19. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Everyone actually see it coming as the future are tablets. $40 is really cheap I wouldn't mind upgrading, I wonder how much are the apps when we buy it using their store :D

20. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    I'd hold off on getting the windows 8 upgrade. I had gotten the beta for free, and, it's not so great to say the very least. Might as well be called windows vista 2 really, since vista is associated with the biggest fail OS microsoft or any company has ever released.