Windows 8 Vs Windows 7 - The new era

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by pfaemaster • Jul 2, 2014.

1. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    So, there is a lot of debate going on about the better windows. Sure, you have the new, faster windows 8 that Microsoft has forcefully shoved down our throats with the old reliable windows 7. Personally, I miss the Windows XP era, which reminded me of a better and simpler time. But there are ups and downs to both windows, the biggest being the terrible interface for PC users in the new windows.

What are you opinions about purchasing a new machine with Win8 pre-installed, against that of DOS machine. Also, what are you views on upgrading to Windows 8?

Microsoft has definitely given a mixed basket with the new windows. In my opinion, I think there are sacrificing a thriving PC community to enter into the mobile and tablet industry.

2. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think that Windows 8 is absolutely phenomenal. It is much better than his predecessors in every single way. I think that the quality has been upgraded and it's on another level. The only challenges that I see with Windows 8 is the transition. The user interface is not the same as it was before and I feel that a lot of people have issues adapting to the new user interface. Once you understand how it works, you are basically set. And I feel that Windows 8 is the best operating system from Windows thus far.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Windows 8 isn't as bad as everyone says, but I'm hoping Windows 9 is closer to Windows 7 than Windows 8. Windows 7 was incredibly solid, and the move for touch in Windows 8 is somewhat of a misstep. You don't really need touch for your laptop or desktop. It's not even convenient in some cases because manufacturers sometimes make terrible touch screens. They're both solid performers that a person can adapt to pretty easily, though.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I think I would still root for Windows 7 because of familiarity, although I must say that I'm not really satisfied with Windows 7 because I can't install games that I used to install in Vista and XP, I really am puzzled as to why most of them are incompatible with Windows 7 despite running the "program compatibility" test. So if I buy a new pc with Windows 8 pre-installed, then I would check it out first to see if I will like it and if I don't like it, then I might reformat it to another OS.

5. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I think Windows 8 is dog crap...

It's time I buy a new computer. But I'm kind of staling because I don't want to get one with Windows 8, and having the trouble of downgrading to 7.
    It makes me want to go to Apple again...

6. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    They are both pretty good Operating Systems but I feel like Windows 7 was more convenient in a lot of ways. It might be because I was used to it, because it mostly behaved like Windows XP, but I don't see a change to touchscreen PCs coming anytime soon, so I think the step Windows 8 made, was a step in the wrong direction. I wouldn't mind if they changed something, but making an interface that's better for touchscreens is just a bad idea.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've tried getting used to Windows 8 but couldn't. I tend to tinker a lot when it comes to Windows, especially for wireless networking purposes, and since I've grown much more used to the older versions of Windows which Windows 7 is closest to, I'm much more comfortable with using that. I'm sure that if I spend more time with Windows 8 then I'd get everything eventually, so I'm not really knocking it, but seeing as I'm already past the learning curve with the previous ones, I'll just stick with those for the meantime.

8. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    There are definitely mixed opinion about the allegiance of microsoft with the pc community regarding the newer Windows 8, especially since I don't see the implementation of touch screen PC-s as a regular thing anytime soon, that's what you have a tablet and/or smartphone for. The start button taking you to that "modern" interface is not something I am familiar with or liking very much. I guess its all about taste and familiarity when it comes down to it.

I mean sure, Win 8 has a lot of issues solved and better overall compliance with itself as an OS and with other aplications and advanced programs running on it, but it just isn't that close to the familiar Win 7 that seemed more similar to its other predecessors. I think ultimately we will all upgrade to it or the next windows, but for now I'm sticking with 7, it is the most solid and reliable modern windows OS in my opinion.

9. HarryS

HarrySNew Member

Threads:
    I don't get why so many people spend their money upgrading operating systems. 90% of people use the computer for one sole purpose: browsing the internet. For this purpose, Windows 2000 would work just as good as Windows 8. There is no need to constantly upgrade to the newest operating system. As long as it works, there is no need to change.

10. GLOGIK

GLOGIKMember

Threads:
    I think upgrading to windows 8 is a worthwhile exercise. There was a time when I felt that Windows XP was the best OS ever released by Microsoft, especially with the strange PC behavior that windows vista brought with its release. However, all that has changed for me now with the release of windows 8.

The user interface of windows 8 is very sleek, and beautiful to interact with. The only thing I miss with the new UI is the Windows start icon you normally found at the bottom-left corner of the Windows 7 OS; although, news reveals that even this is currently being rebuilt by Microsoft. This means it's safe to expect to see the start icon back on windows 8 OS anytime soon.

One other cool thing I have discovered with the new windows 8 is it's great battery-power management capability. With my windows 7 OS, my battery-life lasts less longer than with windows 8.

I really think the upgrade makes a lot of sense.

11. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I still use Windows 7. I've heard Windows 8 is a lot better now compared to how it was during its early stages. But Windows 7 simply works for me, and I don't find the need to upgrade--at least not yet. I'm building a new rig, though, and it would come with Windows 8 so I'll finally be able to compare the two.

12. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I have not issues whatsoever with Windows 8. Only a person that takes time to appreciate the work done on the operating system will get this. As for performance, Windows 8 is better than Windows 7 and I can prove it. Consider the amount of time it takes to boot Windows 7 and the time Windows 8 takes. Windows 8 is way faster.

13. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    I really like windows 8. I noticed how much more stable Windows 8 is. It also runs much smoother than 7, a lot less bugs, it's just an all around major improvement from windows 7. I was surprised, it's really worth buying for sure.

14. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have never tried Windows 8 so I can't really judge it. But I do now have a Windows 7 Laptop that replaced my Windows XP model. I have to say that in all honesty I can understand why Windows 7 eventually led to Windows XP finally being phased out. Windows 7 is almost as user friendly as Windows XP was, and its as easy to understand as well as navigate. There are very few versions of Windows that seem to live up to that. Which might be why Windows XP lasted so long, none of the upgraded versions seem to appeal to people as much as that one did till Windows 7 came along. As for Windows 8 well some do like it but it still wasn't the one that would replace Windows 7, and now there will be another Windows running program before long. Who knows if this is the one that will replace Windows 7 I guess only time will tell.

15. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I bought a new laptop last year and my biggest regret now was to buy one with Windows 8 pre-installed. I loved XP and 7, so I didn't think going to 8 would be a big deal. But sadly, some of my favorites games from Steam won't play on Windows 8. Then there is the unorthodox style of finding your files. I have had it over 6 months now and still I don't like it.

16. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest I think Windows 8 is a lot simpler that XP or 7 in terms of design and actual use. I think the only reason why people "hate" Windows 8 is because of the Metro UI which is I think is pretty good looking but necessary. I'm using Windows 8.1 and after I've installed the classic Start Button I've no problems running the OS.

17. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    Aside from the early compatibility issues I have no problem with Widows 8. Although I don't understand the logic behind Microsoft trying change the look of it. Windows 7 was perfect and to be honest there is no solid reason why Microsoft would want to change it and seeing how they're trying to bring back Windows 7-ish style on Windows 10 is a strong statement that they're wrong.