Windows 8?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Eric John • Apr 16, 2012.

1. Eric John

Eric JohnNew Member

Threads:
    Has anyone heard or gotten to see some of the new stuff with Windows 8? I am very impressed with Windows 7 and its stability. I have had almost ZERO crashes in the last 2 years. I am hoping that Windows 8 is going to offer me the same experience. Let me know if you guys have seen anything or got any insider info on the OS.

2. paolochicha

paolochichaNew Member

Threads:
    Windows 8 is a yuppies OS, designed to try and win back some of the tablet market that the iPad has gotten. With this goal in mind, Microsoft have failed to realise that desktop users (people who use mice and keyboards for work every day) are going to struggle with this OS over windows 7.

3. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    Windows 8 bis available to try free now, but you know the rule with windows, every second one is good! Windows 98 good, Windows ME Bad, Windows XP Good, Windows Vista Bad, Windows 7 Good....meaning only Windows 8 Can be bad!

4. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    Do more people use the iOS over Android? I thought there were more Android users since it tends to be cheaper to get a phone/tablet that can run it. That's what I use anyway.

I don't have an opinion on 8 yet. I'm just going to have to see it and try it. I don't think that it's such a bad thing that they're making it touch screen friendly. Yes, it will be a learning curve for some, but really they're just getting up to date with their current market. A ton of PC users also use a touch screen device. I'm one of them, I love my tablet. Would I use a tablet with Windows 8? Maybe. I wouldn't be totally against the idea so long as they had an open source model like Android. That's the main reason I support Android and shun Apple.

5. Zacko

ZackoExpert

Threads:
    Thank you for bringing this up, I couldn't figure out a way to phrase it. The new Windows 8 is very, very similar to the tablet OS, which I personally cannot stand. The only neat feature is the button to do a clean install of Windows 8, and it is said that it can be done in under 30 minutes!

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Oh my gosh, I had never heard that before. That is just too funny!
    I like to always wait for 6 months to a year after an OS release from Microsoft. I just like all of the problems worked out first.
    I have heard that Windows 8 takes less machine resources than 7, so that definately makes me interested in it.

7. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Windows 8 is intended for touch screen devices (either tablets or touchscreen monitors) but I've heard it works great for regular laptops and desktop PCs too, since it uses less resources than Windows 7.

8. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    I am not going to buy a new Windows. I think it's just a fluke. I mean, if your actual Windows is working fine, why waste money on a new one. Not to mention the upgrades for the hardware.

9. Some1else0

Some1else0Member

Threads:
    I probably won't get it for another year or so after it comes out. It'll be buggy at first, I give them time to fix these bugs and exploits. I'll use my friends product key anyways, since his can be activated on 3 different computers... :)

10. psufootball

psufootballMember

Threads:
    Yeah I saw a couple of YouTube videos and some reviews on cnet and everyone says it's trying to win over "tablet" people. Which is exactly why I'll be sticking with Windows 7.

11. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadowNew Member

Threads:
    As most of you already said, Windows 8 is basically made for tablets or various other touch-screen devices compatible with Windows OS. I didn't tested it, since unfortunately, I do not own a tablet, but I might buy one next month. From the videos I've seen it is pretty much Windows 7 used with touch-screen with a new appearence and some minor new features, minor in my point of view at least.

12. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    I saw the trailers and I, for one, loved it. The new interface looks sleek and just very futuristic, for lack of a better word. I always seem to find that new is always better(Barney Stinson, anyone?). I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who loves the new facebook timeline. LOL

Is it really aimed at tablet users though? Sheesh. MS should just stick to winning the desktop race. It's been close but I believe MS is currently ahead.

13. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    It has a nice appeal to it, but it's definitely "tablet-centric" in it's set up.

I prefer the features on Windows 7 and I think Windows 8 will become a tad annoying for non-tablet users. It has specific features that point it more towards tablet owners, which is great for them, but not for others.

I am not really a fan of the "metro" interface.

14. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    Hallo,I downloaded and installed Windows 8 (both 32 and 64 bit) Consumer Preview, as a clean installation of two notebooks (both editions), I have appreciated the speed of installation and configuration of the first start,but it was enough to install two programs like firefox microsoft security and the system became very slow.

15. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    How was the interface though? Was there a option to viewing the desktop as in previous versions of windows or did you have to just constantly weave through the whole huge tablet GUI? Maybe you should try installing it on a faster PC to compare results.

16. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    After downloading the consumer preview it just seems way too basic for me. Windows 8 feels like a downgrade from the Windows 7 and I would never even consider using my money to buy it. I would also refrain from buying laptops with Windows 8. Windows 8 is definitely going to break Microsoft as a whole.

17. MEGATRUCK

MEGATRUCKMember

Threads:
    I feel like it's a little more user friendly and that it isn't necessarily too intended for tablet PCs. It's definately got a sleaker design, and I have only had a few compatibility issues for it. I know nVidia has graphics drivers already set up for Windows 8, but the biggest problem I'm having is with my scanner. It worked before on Windows 8 but it doesn't anymore.

Either way, I don't see too much of a reason to switch back to Windows 7 right now, especially considering the upgrade to Windows 8 saves all your files, whilst downgrading requires you to delete them.

18. MEGATRUCK

MEGATRUCKMember

Threads:
    Yes, you can still view the desktop traditionally. The only "tablet" interfaces are the start screen and its apps.

19. nahid2012

nahid2012New Member

Threads:
    I am waiting for the new version win 8

20. nahid2012

nahid2012New Member

Threads:
    Wow!! This is one of the best post i have read so far.