Windows Vista - anyone have problems? is Windows 7 better?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by sandees • Jul 31, 2012.

1. sandees

sandeesMember

Threads:
    My friend recently gave me her unused PC with Windows Vista installed.

My friend has been helping me to get the sound working on the computer (I can't hear anything). Then he decided to update windows vista and that's what we did.

Now after the updates, everytime I try to turn the computer off - it remains stuck on the "Windows is shutting down screen" that I have to manually power off.

I have been hearing not so favorable reviews.. is Windows 7 good? or should I just wait for Windows 8?

2. saver

saverNew Member

Threads:
    Everyone really think it's crap, put personally I have it on my desktop and I really dont mind it. I know it's just a little bit slower but I dont mind that.

Yes as for windows 7 it's a really sleek design and fairly fast (faster than Vista), if you have the money and want to spend it upgrading to Vista would be a good choice.

3. donaldplozha

donaldplozhaMember

Threads:
    It was supposed to be a big success, but it turned out to be a big failure. Anyways, Microsoft replaced it very well with Windows 7, which is a superb operating system overall, and definitely much better than Vista.

4. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    Upgrade vista to 7?
    I'd say yes.
    New Taskbar: quicklaunch + window buttons are merged, plus you can move them around, good way to never use the desktop or start menu to launch applications again. Also configurable notification area (!!!) allows you to move icons around, hide icons, and hide icons and their notifications.
    Libraries: Instead of clicking through a bunch of directories to find your files or use ugly desktop shortcuts to directories, all your stuff is organized very concisely in one window no matter where in your filesystem the stuff is, and it plugs into the file browsers of almost all applications so you can SAVE files easily too.
    UI enhancements and more keyboard shortcuts: Jumplists and the improved taskbar features (context menu that can include images for taskbar buttons that change per-app, steam uses these very nicely), stuff like window key + P for multimonitor setups, being able to rename files by hitting tab to to the next one, drag a window to the top of the screen to maximize it, etc.
    Less annoying but still functional UAC
    DirectX 11?
    native ISO burner

5. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    Win7 is ten times better than Vista. When I had the chance to upgrade, I did it as quick as I could. Haven't regretted it at all. And after you upgrade, you won't either.

6. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely upgrade. Vista is terrible. Microsoft rushed through creating it, and I think it sucks. I have had 4 laptops with Vista and they are slow and a couple of them were always in the shop due to recurrent BSOD's. I now own a MacBook Pro but my roommate has Windows 7 and it is 30 times better than Vista :D

7. jaruri

jaruriNew Member

Threads:
    I have PCs with both Vista and 7. 7 is by far the better OS. Way smoother and safer too. Vista isn't as bad as people make it out to be, especially with all the updates, but 7 is still the better choice (and it should be, considering it is the successor to the windows line)

8. Meow

MeowMember

Threads:
    Vista is pretty much the worst OS you can get.

XP, 7 and even Linux are all infinitely more stable and efficient.

9. sinuous

sinuousNew Member

Threads:
    Windows 7 is miles ahead of Vista in terms of compatibility and reliability, upgrade as soon as you can! If you can't afford Windows 7 there's methods you can use. However I recommend just purchasing a home/student edition (usually not that expensive).

10. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    We have a several laptops in the house and the Vista one is the one that never gets used. Part of the problems is the computer itself being slow but Vista is not as friendly a Win7.
    Funny point is that once I got my Win7 I did all sorts of changes to it so it would look like Windows XP. Old habits die hard.

11. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    Many people claimed that since its launch Windows Vista was doomed to failure. This is definitely in my most humble opinion the worst operating system I've ever seen, the disbursement of money we have to do to make Windows Vista run properly on our machines is more than considerable. Since I have proven I can remember many operating systems, and this is the worst I've ever seen (Yes, many little icons, all very nice, but I believe an overload of home screens, gadgets, welcome center, which All they do is slow down the startup of your pc, it is true that can be removed but ...) I truly believe that I have never seen so many incompatibilities with an operating system like windows vista. For that XP was much better.

12. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I have Windows 8 it's better than Vista and WIndows 7 it's faster. You can go to the Microsoft website to download it to see if you like it. Vista is the worst OS out of all of them. There's so many glitches and bugs that Microsoft didn't correct. Windows 7 is better than Vista, but it's slow compared to Windows 8. The computer boots up on Windows 8 in about 10 seconds. It's really the best choice out of the other OS's available.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I still think Windows ME was the worst of the worst in the Windows line, with Vista coming in a close second. Windows 7 was like what Windows XP was when it first came out, a breath of fresh air, since it's a polished operating system that is unobtrusive and just works. Windows Vista was hell with all of the update notifications and warnings about everything under the sun, and it was a headache to try and get programs to install or run because sometimes you needed to run it as an administrator - which confused many people. It was too much of a resource hog when it came out, and that was at a time that it was too expensive to put the hardware necessary to run it smoothly into consumer level and entry level computers.

14. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    Vista is the black sheep of the Win OS series. In fact, the only thing worse for casual users would probably be Windows "NT" or Windows 2000. So far Windows 7 SP1 and Windows XP SP2 are the best operating systems for Windows.

15. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    You are right. I have tried vista once because the laptop that I bought about a year ago is pre-installed with Windows Vista. I could not stand it for a week so I immediately installed into windows 7. I would say that I like xp sp3 better than SP2 but the difference is not really that remarkable.

16. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    I'm a fan of the mid - late 90's pc games. They don't seem to work very well with the newer Windows,
    but SP2 was the final version where they worked just as they were supposed to. SP3 is alright, I guess.

17. Erwins74

Erwins74New Member

Threads:
    Speaking as a system administrator I would suggest to stay away from Vista! Both on my personal laptop, as on my work pc's Vista was giving me lots of headaches. Mostly causing problems that didn't have a logical solution.
    And most of the time they were caused by official updates.

Windows 7 is waaaayyyyy better than Vista. It runs stable on all my machines (both personal and professional). Performance is also better than Vista.

As for Windows 8, I have looked at the beta version and I was shocked. I couldn't find anything I was looking for initially. The whole interface is changed. To me it looked like it was originally created for tablets and then transformed to run on desktops.
    But after playing with it for a while I start to see potential in the product. It just takes some time to get used to the new layout.

18. Trandafin

TrandafinNew Member

Threads:
    I had both versions Windows Vista and Windows 7. From my perspective windows 7 is very good because it is much better ! Windows Vista are much graphics problems, many error that I could not find explanation ! Since I installed windows 7 everything works perfectly and I am very pleased with it !

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah Windows Vista sucks, that's why it's a flop and that's the reason why many people are still using Windows XP. The updates that Microsoft has for Vista suck too, I once downloaded an update that made my themes and buttons look like those ancient Windows 98 OS! After researching the problem that apparently many Vista users also had, I uninstalled the update and I turned the option too to get automatic updates in Vista. So in my opinion, Vista is quite tolerable to use, but if you have a chance to upgrade to a newer OS, then go for it.

20. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I still use XP. Even after Vista was released and I got a copy of it, I didn't get round to using it, simply because I was so used to XP. I've read some negative feedback about Vista and a friend who was using it kept having trouble with it, until she upgraded to Win7.