Windows Vs Mac

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by kana_marie • Mar 16, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I am in the market for a new computer. In all the years I have used computers I have used windows. I, honestly, have never even seen the Mac operating system in action. My question is: if I'm proficient in windows will Mac be easy to learn? In your opinion is one a lot better than the other? If yes, why is that one better? I really appreciate any input you can give me!!

2. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    There are a few differences that you'll have to get used to, I much prefer Windows/Linux and wouldn't really use anything else, but OSX does have its advantages. From what I've heard they tend to last a long time (as a result of the light Unix based operating system) and I've seen someone with a 2008 MacBook last year running it like it was brand new. As you probably already know it's not targeted that often for viruses and the like so you don't need much more than a basic firewall. I prefer Windows for it's universal compatibility with most programs or Linux for its flexibility, but honestly if you just need a basic system and don't plan on doing anything too technical (and are willing to spend extra money for their horribly inflated prices), then a Mac might be better for you. I'll wait for someone else here to come up with something first though.

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You won't have too much trouble learning OSX. That said, differences... depending on what software you're using, a lot of it may not be on OSX. The biggest stuff like browsers, Photoshop, etc. will, but the "smaller" stuff probably won't. Also, OSX is pretty bad for gaming. So, it really comes down to preference and price.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have only used Windows, I would like to get a MAC but since everything I do on the computer is office related I don't want to have to worry about compatibility when I get documents from other people.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mac OSX is like iOS in that it's incredibly easy to learn because the UI is very simple in all the right ways. There's a slight learning curve coming from Windows, but chances are high that you're going to love a new Mac. Also, for Office users, every single part of Microsoft Office is 100% compatible with OSX, considering the software has been available for quite some time now.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've gotten to use A Mac after using Windows for years and personally I didn't find the transition that difficult at all. I was even very pleased and amazed at how easy it was to use the swipe gestures which are very intuitive. Not only that but since I already have an ios device it was cool to find some apps that could work with the laptop. Also they tend to stay speedy for longer, in my experience, as mine never lagged until the day it finally broke.

7. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a Windows user forever and even if I used Mac I still prefer Windows because I am accustomed to it and because of the compatibility issues. So far is still better for me, not to mention that the price is friendlier too.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've used both and I prefer Mac. Once you've tried a Mac it's hard to go back to Windows. Invest in a Mac if you can afford it and they aren't difficult to use, people think that, but really I find it so much easier than Windows. The last time I had Windows I had the silly charm screen and that was enough to stop me ever using Windows.

9. HueyTheFreeman

HueyTheFreemanNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer Mac, even though I have a Windows. Macs aren't as vulnerable to defects as Windows are, and run very smoothly. But, they are expensive. Windows are still good, but Macs are basically perfect and extremely easy to use.

10. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I am also a Window user that want to have a Mac some time in the future! The only thing I like so far about Mac is that it's hardly ever get virus as many have attested. I think it would be fairly easy to switch giving the fact that you already knew all the basic.

11. Obvcynicae

ObvcynicaeNew Member

Threads:
    I've had both Windows computers and Mac computers, and I have to say that I prefer Windows computers by far, with basically no contest. If you're proficient in using Windows, you'll find Mac relatively easy to learn--honestly, the hardest thing I had to get used to was probably using the command key instead of the control key. Macs are relatively simple to learn how to use, so long as you don't want to get into more complicated functions. Also, as long as you don't go and purposefully download suspicious files, you should basically be safe from most viruses on a Mac, as they aren't targeted as often--that may change, eventually, though. Essentially, Macs are good if you want to spend extra money (though, apparently, if you buy their support, it's excellent) on a PC/laptop for browsing and other simplistic tasks. Mac's preinstalled movie maker is also superior to Windows Movie Maker, too, as far as I could tell--but then, it is still dwarfed by professional software. The computers boot up pretty quickly--my Macbook booted up far faster than my current laptop, a Lenovo ThinkPad, does.

To me, though, there are a number of problems with OSX. It's too restricting for me (and I don't even probe into it too much), and the hardware compatibility is nowhere nearly as good. The Apple Store is the primary location from where you can download things for Mac, and it's harder to find programs off of the store that are built for/adapted to Mac. Most programs that will come in handy, and small niche programs that you might need, won't be made for Mac, as far as I can tell. Plus, I've heard that Apple has attempted to restrict exactly how much you can do with files, in Macs (but I can't confirm that, as I didn't delve too terribly deep in files when I had my Mac). I can also find a Windows computer with the same hardware for far less, and with better hardware for less, too. Macbooks are made for browsing, so gaming on them isn't really supported very well, and they have relatively weak graphics cards.
    Also, I honestly don't believe in that thing that people always preach about why Macs are superior in a way--because it has "better capabilities" in a number of ways for all artists, writers, and similar things. I do art as a hobby, and have done it digitally for a few years, now. My favourite digital art program is not available, nor supported, on a Mac--unless you run a Windows virtual machine or dual boot with a Windows partition (which I did, when I was using a Mac, so that I could use this program, and a few others). When you consider the fact that most of the larger, well known names for writing, drawing, photo-editing, and similar programs are available on both operating systems, Mac doesn't really seem to be better for it (I've used Photoshop on both Windows and Mac, for example, and since I could run it with my other programs on Windows, it was more actually convenient there). I'd assume that this applies to other categories of art, too, because more extra, smaller programs are available on Windows, and compatibility for well-known programs, like Microsoft Office and Adobe, is essentially the same/very close between the two OSes (as far as I can tell, at least).