Windows Xp

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by LilAnn • Jun 4, 2015.

1. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    After the support ended for XP I continued to use it on my computer, as well as my mother in law. My computer ended up crashing. We thought it might be the hard drive or motherboard. Which both sound really bad. A we or so later my mother in laws crashed the same at mine did. What I need to know is was this a common occurance, or coincidence? If the issue is specifically XP, should a newer version of windows get my computer up and running again?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been using XP for a number of years as my OS now but I intend to replace it soon. The issues you mention [the crashing and stuff] I never had any of that. I believe that your are dealing more with hardware failure there. XP still works fine but it has some security issues which is why you'd need to upgrade anyway.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Let's face it, you will have to upgrade at some point so you should do it. I recall when I helped someone with XP they offered an upgrade free. Why put off what needs to be done?

Anyhow hardware aside, it maybe the browsers you are using (IE is bad) as they will tend to crash as you are both on different computers. Also things won't format as well, but it also depends what programs you are using as well.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    On my desktop computer, I still have Windows XP. But as I began to find more and more money making opportunities online, and needed speed, I got myself a laptop instead, for speed purposes. After support ended for Windows XP, it was going terribly slow and became very temperamental. It was not a productive system for me to make money online with, just because it was always crashing. A ten minute online job would typically take thirty to forty minutes. It would be best just to upgrade to a newer OS.

5. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I'm going to be honest with you. That's the exact answer I didn't want to hear. Lol
    I just need to get an entirely new computer with a more recent OS. I have a bad habit of using something as long as humanly possible... Until its 100% tapped out. Apparently, this is that point for my computer.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends what you use it for. If it's work then you need to, if its browsing every now and then or to create documents then maybe not. You don't need a new computer, just get new software if your computer can handle it. Some people seem happy with Windows 7. Everyone has to upgrade their OS every few years.

Do you want to risk losing everything if it crashes? Migrating things over can take time, so put things off and it will take longer if you switch computers.

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Although the problems with Windows 8 are often overblown, it really does look like Windows 10 is going to appease even the most resistant individuals to upgrading OS versions. I'm excited for Windows 10, and the free upgrade thing is great for users of Windows 7 or 8, though it obviously doesn't apply to XP, which is a dinosaur by now (one that runs well enough minus the security issues!).

8. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I am smart enough to not lose everything in the crash. You see, I was smart enough to marry a guy who really likes 2nd hard drives just for important pictures, and such. What I'm not smart enough to do is always save important pictures and documents on it. Lol I have the XP service packs saved on it, as a matter of fact.

Do you know how long it'll be before Vista loses support? I'm wondering if I should even waste my time with it.