Wine With Dinner?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ExpertAdvice • Oct 17, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Do you often have a glass of wine when you are eating your dinner? If so, what is it about having a glass of wine with dinner that makes it a more enjoyable experience?

People often refer to the Biblical verse that says "a little wine is good for the stomach", and yet there are those persons who believe that it "adds a touch of elegance" to their dining experience, because they are able to assimilate into the popular trend of having a glass of red or other wine with virtually every meal, as is done in Paris (or at least that's what most of us were brought up to believe, right? lol).

Well, although the reasons for having wine with dinner may vary, I've always wondered myself if I could get any authentic responses from persons who actually drink wine with a meal, so that they could give me a little bit more insight as to why they choose to do so, and whether there are any health benefits that are actually associated with this particular practice.

There's always the thought (and it's been proven medically) that the over-consumption of wine and other forms of alcohol has resulted in several health maladies, including damage to the liver and even death in some cases.
    Persons who consume wine in excess are also typically portrayed as purporters of lewd and disgraceful behavior, if the movies are anything to go by.

So...

What's your opinion on the consumption of wine with meals?

Do you think that it's a practice that should be encouraged? Or...

Is it just another vice that should continue to be discouraged?

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this issue!

wine.

2. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I don't usually have wine with dinner as my children are still up and I don't drink in front of them. However, I do enjoy a glass or three most evenings after they have gone to bed. This is partly because I enjoy the taste and partly because I find it a great way to relax at the end of a hard day.

3. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I don't drink wine every night because it's simply too expensive for me. I usually reserve things like wine and champagne for special occasions, and they definitely make it an enjoyable experience. I guess it's nice to have a drink to relax after a good meal, and that's what makes it taste so much better.

4. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Ahhh, I must say that I enjoy and respect both perspectives. I love the idea of enjoying wine every now and then with a meal, but not brandishing the wine when the kids are around. It can cause a lot of issues, and complicate the idea of trying to explain to your kids that "Mom or dad can drink wine, but you're too young right now". Then, the questions will start as to why that is, whether it's bad for you, and if so, why you'd be able to drink it.
    On the other hand, I also understand the concern of wine being expensive, and so if you consider drinking wine with meals a luxury, then it becomes even more of a frustration when it's so hard to afford!
    Well, in that case, there are several other options, like non-alcoholics, fruit juices, and good ole water (for the sake of our health anyway, lol). Sometimes, we can "squeeze in" the occasional drink or two, but in the meantime, it's best that we save our spending toward what is really necessary for our homes to function, and for our families to be able to eat well.
    A little positive sacrifice never hurt anybody.

5. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Wine isn't good for all types of dinner dishes, especially soups for me. I prefer to drink wine when I eat food that were broiled, baked, stir-fried, BBQ, or not liquidly in texture, because I like to taste the flavors I get from the liquidly foods such as noodles, soups, stew, etc. I also prefer not to drink wine with sushi, and opt for sake [hot and cold] or good beer. However, I do like to drink wine much when I'm at a function, party, wedding, or special event, while I'm snacking on some appetizers - helps me prepare for the main course!

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Not very often with a meal, but usually before or after one. If I am drinking to unwind, I don't like to mix it with food because it kind of slows down and weakens the buzz from it. I don't mind a glass or two with a meal if it's a special occasion though, or if I am cooking something like an expensive steak which would go well with it. But if I am cooking a more casual dinner for myself, I really don't feel the need to break out a bottle of wine to go with it. I wouldn't really want a glass of wine with a grilled chicken wrap and some chips for example.

If you live near a Trader Joe's or a Marc's, you can get a whole case of wine, which is like 12-16 bottles, for around $30. These wines are perfect table wines, and aren't too overly dry or distinctly flavored, so they pair up nicely with many foods. It's really not much more than buying a 2 liter of soda when you do the math.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Drinking wine with a meal is a social thing when you dine out. In France if you don't order wine they think something is wrong with you.

At home, I like a glass to relax or to enjoy with friends before, during and after the meal. People are adults, they can choose to drink wine or not. Some days you don;t feel like it and other days you need it. For work events, wine is always a gesture to show clients or employees they are valued. You don't have to drink it, but it should be offered.

As for alcohol abuse, there are more drinks than wine that people become addicted to, but again it stems from other reasons. If it wasn't alcohol they would find comfort in other things.

8. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Well I have to say I think the main thing about having wine with dinner is the gratification of having a m=nice meal followed by a light buzz. For me, food itself makes me feel good, but when you add the feeling of wine, that takes it to a whole other level. Not to mention that a little wine is actually good for you as well. Wine is even deliciously sweet depending on your wine of choice. In conclusion, wine adds health benefits, and adds an additional pleasure to the fulfillment of a good satisfying meal.

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'd have to say that the majority of the time I do not have any wine with dinner. I don't drink very often at all, wine included, though I do enjoy it every now and then. I reserve it for special occasions or going out with my husband and friends, so I wouldn't really do it as a nightly thing.

10. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't drink wine while eating dinner. One, I don't drink alcoholic drinks. It's like a personal choice. Second, wine is very expensive here in my country. Three, most of the kinds of food that I eat do not go well with wine.