Winter Vegetables

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Jani • Apr 18, 2016.

1. Jani

JaniNew Member

Threads:
    I really want to start my own vegetable garden, but it's almost winter here where I am from and we get alot of rainfall during this time of the year.

Does anyone have some useful tips on this subject?
    Is there vegtables that will thrive during a cold wet season?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    No problem - as there is surprising large amount of choice when in comes to growing winter produce and although climate zone does - to some degree - dictate what you can and can't grow over the winter period - you generally can't go too far wrong with any of the following

Root vegetables - potatoes, carrots, beetroot, parsnip, turnip

Leafy greens - cabbage, kale, swiss chard, broccoli, spinach, cauliflower

plus - broad beans, peas, onions, garlic, leeks, artichokes

as all of the above thrive throughout the winter - in almost every climate zone - as do many herbs and some salad vegetables like lettuce, radish and endive.

3. Noreht

NorehtMember

Threads:
    Thank you for the great advise @gata montes@gata montes . I live in the same area as @Jani@Jani and have also grown potatoes, pumpkin and green beans very successfully there. How much space do you think should be allocated to your veg garden? We have about 300 square feet of backyard open

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't know that pumpkins grow during the cold season. We have no winter here and the equivalent is the rainy season which kills the vegetables when the rains are excessive. Particularly the tomatoes, they drown in too much rain, worse their flowers don't fertilize. I think chayote (or sayote) is one vegetable that thrives in cold weather because I see that in Baguio City where the temperature hovers between 10 to 15 degrees C.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    My pleasure.

However this time round not an easy question to answer - particularly as - although the traditional guidelines for working out the amount of space required for a vegetable garden used to be - to allow around 200 sq ft per person - much changed around the time that gardening in small spaces became extremely popular - as not only did the introduction of new vegetable gardening techniques - for example - square foot gardening, trellising, stacking pots/beds etc make it possible to grow an abundance of fruit and vegetables in a very small area - but as all these methods can more than double or triple the amount of produce that can be grown in any one area - it kind of negates the need to allocate a huge amount of space.

So bearing in mind that your 300 sq foot would in theory - using traditional methods - most likely yield a more than adequate amount of produce - if after the first year you find it wasn't enough - that could easily be rectified by switching to one of the small gardening techniques - especially as by doing that - you would easily be able to double or even triple the amount of produce you were able to grow in the previous year - without the need or expensive of having to acquire more land.