Women losing hair

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Peninha • Nov 28, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a colleague that is on her mid sixties and she doesn't has much hair, to the point in which we can see her head underneath the hair. What might be causing this to a woman, she doesn't has any special disease... This is something uncommon right?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yup, it is uncommon, but there are many causes for hair loss in women. Here are the reasons:

Hopefully I won't suffer from hair loss when I become middle aged.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, no in her mid-60s, it's not that uncommon. I would need to know her race and what she's done as far as styling choices to really have an idea about what has happened to her hair, but it's more than possible.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Styling doesn't cause permanent hair loss unless she's burning her scalp every day or tightly pulling the hair up into a pony tail on a daily basis. Even then, she might grow it back. Permanent hair loss is usually hormonal or inflammatory as far as I know. You can't take biotin and get it back or up your vitamins.. these are for the condition of existing hair or helps existing hair grow faster, but will not create new, permanent hair. It is very common to lose your hair as you age.. hers sounds a bit excessive, but is quite normal as well these days depending where she lives and how she's eaten and her hormones etc etc etc. There are no real answers yet unfortunately.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would like to say it's a common thing among individuals - be it men or women - to undergo hair loss when they grow older. When I think about it, however, my parents are yet to experience this so-called hair loss and they seem to be just a few years older than your colleague. I looked it up and my intuition hit the nail: your colleague may have hormonal problems, causing her hair to fall off. She should check with an expert soon and ask for advice.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hair loss in women might not be as common as in men, but it is not unusual. I have seen many balding women, and it's often more devastating for them than for men. Men can easily shave their head and still look great, whereas with women the issue is more sensitive. I have a friend who is now in her late fifties and who has only got a few meager strands of hair left on her head, but it doesn't concern her very much. She went and had her skull tattooed in a very elegant way. :) She is a teacher at a Steiner school, and her students think the world of her. And so does everyone, including me. :)

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It seems to be more common these days and must be very devastating to these women! I think in women of colour (especially Black women such as myself) it can also be attributed to the overuse of chemicals such as hair relaxers, braiding and heat from all sorts of treatments in a bid to tame our coarse hair. Speaking from experience, I only just recently started growing hair back along my hairline after years of abuse through braiding and relaxing my hair.

The other thing I'm noticing more and more of is quite the reverse, women with facial and chest hair. I'm not sure what that could be a result of, hormonal imbalance maybe?

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    It is really not uncommon to loose hair in mid sixties as you get older people generally tend to lose hair. It is really natural and there is nothing one can do about it. I am sure that everybody will suffer from it one fine day.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I know it's normal for everyone to lose hair, but we usually don't see bald women like we see men, it's a totally different level of hair loss and most likely it's indicating some sort of disease. Maybe she is undergoing some treatment that I am unaware of...

10. shrinkwatson

shrinkwatsonNew Member

Threads:
    Here are some common and not-so-common reasons why you might be seeing hair loss in women:-
    Pregnancy is one example of the type of physical stress that can cause hair loss (that and hormones).
    Overdoing vitamin A-containing supplements or medications can trigger hair loss.
    Female-pattern hair loss, called androgenic or androgenetic alopecia, is basically the female version of male pattern baldness. “If you come from a family where women started to have hair loss at a certain age.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the enlightening answer, @shrinkwatson! It's pretty scary that this seems to be becoming more and more common. I wonder what could be causing the rise in women's hair loss (especially in older women), is it something in our diet, our stressful modern day lifestyles etc? I seem to see a lot more women with bald patches these days. It must destroy your confidence. I think I'd just keep my hair very short.

12. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm almost 40 and I'm noticing that I'm losing a lot more hair than I used to. The ironic thing is, I've started getting hair on my chin and upper lip! It's obviously down to age or hormones and I'm actually having tests done next week. Hopefully, I can nip things in the bud before I end up bald and bearded!

I've seen a few ladies over the years with bald patches. Apparrently it's all down to androgens. Both men and women have androgens but it seems that the natural decline in female hormones at the menopause allows the androgens to take over. Androgens are what causes male baldness and they can act in much the same way in women.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Maybe a visit with her doctor will answer some of the questions. Some women do have hair loss due to old age or heredity. Sometime it could be just a vitamin deficiency. If your friend is worried about it she should go see a doctor to determine if it is an illness that's showing up through her hair loss. Take care. One last thing about a commercial I saw about Keranique on tv that promises to grow back hair. I'd read the reviews and comments from people who bought the product or tried it first before you get the free sample where they'll ask you for your credit card number. Good luck and wish your friend good luck.

14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    About 10 years ago, I have noticed my thinning hair. As per my observation, there are loose hair in the bathroom every morning after I take a bath. After some months of experiencing falling hair, I consulted a doctor. The explanation for the thinning hair is the medication for my high blood pressure. The thinning hair is the side effect of that medication. However, I am using a special soap called Black Patchouli that somehow arrests the falling hair.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My sister has lost her hair due to intense stress. It has taken away her self-esteem, and she is in a terrible situation at the moment. She is only 27, and her hair was a big part of her identity. She lives with a boyfriend who likes the fact that she has lost her hair, because that means that it is less likely that she'll be able to go out and attract the eye of someone else in his eyes. The entire situation is hell, and I worry about it daily.