Women's razors

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Theo • Oct 17, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't understand why women's disposable razors are double if not triple the price of mens? I always buy the Bic orange ones, but once I was stranded and the only ones I could find were women's pink disposable razors, a pack of two that more expensive than a pack of five mens disposable razors.

I can tell you there is no difference except a fancier handle in pink that has a bit of grip. Why do they bump up the price and do you buy them?

2. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I'm the same! I always buy the men's razors, or I steal a few out of the packs that my boyfriend buys. I'm not going to pay a fortune for a disposable razor because I am a girl. It's almost like we are paying more because it is pink. It doesn't cost extra to make them pink anymore than it does to make them blue or black. It's the same with shave gel, the men's works just fine.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I never buy the women razors. I think the razors for men are sharper and therefore much more effective, so anything less would be a waste of money. Do they even have replacement blades for the women razors?

4. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer to buy women' s razor than the men' s razor. I feel it is better to use the women's razor rather than the men' s just because I am a woman. I am sure this is the very reason why the prices have hiked for women' s razor.

5. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy razors anymore. Now I get them from my husband's "stash" :D. I agree with @Nimble Knuckle, aside from color (and the price of course) - there's no major difference between a man's and a woman's razors. I've used both before and both can serve its purpose nicely, so why pay more for a woman's razor just because you're a woman? :confused:

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most women know this, so why do the manufacturers do this? It's an insult to our intelligence to be honest and a pain, as I have to go to the mens section to find the razors. If they priced they correctly,more women would buy them. I would never get one with replacement blades, I like the fact I can buy them and dispose of them for hygiene reasons.

7. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    Marketing. Companies know that women are willing to pay more. If people weren't buying it, it would not continue to be on the shelves (and more expensive!). The only real difference I can see is the handle has a bigger grip, and there tends to be a moisture strip. So it really makes me wonder how much women are willing to pay for a more comfortable grip, and a moisture strip. I use men's razors, and have for years. They work better in my opinion.

It looks like a lot of us here are not the target audience of those companies because we are not willing to pay that price for a pink handle! But, to each his own.

I bought the same handle that my husband uses, so we only have to buy one set of blades. It didn't make any sense for me to spend $30 on a pack of women's refills when I was spending $17 for his.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy whatever razors are cheap. Usually they tend to be in the men's section. A lot of companies try to sell women razors that are "ergonomically" designed to get to all those places where ordinary razors apparently can't go. Also most women's razors have blades with a lubricated strip, allegedly infused with aloe vera, that is supposed to moisturize the skin during shaving. I have to say that all those sales strategies don't interest me. I will always buy the most effective and cheapest razor in the men's section.

9. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I am a man, and I can tell you, a razor is a razor. Stop wasting your money buying lady's razor when you can buy a man's razor, a razor does only one thing, not two. Hair is hair and is meant to be cut, therefore, since a razor is meant to cut hair, and there's no specific type of razor specially made to cut only women's hair, why not buy a man's razor? it's cheaper and more effective anyway, and by the way, Bic's...is that even a good razor?

10. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I actually tend to buy the men's disposables. I find that that because they have usually an extra blade or two on the head that they give me a closer shave and stay sharp longer -- not to mention that yes, they are indeed cheaper.

11. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Hahaha. I used to think about the same thing, but then I realized that oh well, why bother? Maybe women's razors are more expensive because they are marketed to have "aloe vera" or all those additives that will make the skin smoother. I guess I am a victim of this kind of marketing. Still, I would rather buy women's razors than men's.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Marketers are smart enough to know that if they slap the appropriate labels on products then price and package them differently, they can make more money off the same products. It's a simple trick and works most of the time. However since womens razors won't be sharper than men's razors, why not just buy the cheapest?

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Really, I have not noticed at all? The thing is, there isn't much fuss about razors here in my locality. Everyone sees a razors, picks it up, pays for it and goes home to use it. That's the kind of culture we have here. Hardly anyone distinguishes women's razors from men's. Purpose-wise, they're pretty much the same.

14. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    Also, if you are someone who is familiar with the ins and outs of couponing -- there are always better, higher dollar coupons are always available for the men's razors much more often than for the women's

15. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I think they just want to make more money and they think women are willing to pay it. Reality is a razor is a razor. The only real difference is going to be the number of blades. A men's razor with 3 blades is probably going to do just as good a job for a woman's shaving needs as a woman's razor with 3 blades. It's really crazy that they think we are so stupid as to fall for such price discrepancies.

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use a razor by Venus, the blue one, and I am pretty sure they have three blades. I particularly like this one because it makes the shave smooth and close to the skin but it's still delicate and sensitive. I also make sure to always use a shaving foam with it. It makes the shave as close as possible to the skin and avoids any ingrow hairs