Woolite

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by DancingLady • Oct 29, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have been told that you can wash your wool garments at home with Woolite in cold water. I have never done it and neither has my mother or grandmother. They have always taken the wool clothes to the dry cleaners. The problem is that I can not afford the dry cleaners and the last time I handled something that had just been dry cleaned my hands itched really bad, so I don't think I will be able to wear my clothes at all if they are treated with these chemicals.

Have you ever used woolite on wool? How did it go? Any tips?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Woolite is safe to use and I have used it over the years. It really depends on what you are washing as some machine do have a wool cycle, so you could put it in a laundry bag for delicates and try that.

Hand washing is fine, so you will need some bowls or to do it in the bath and then to rinse in a sink or bowl, but wringing it out can alter the shape so find somewhere you can dry it flat or on a rail to reshapen the garment.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have a wool coat, short one, that needs to be cleaned at some time. I planned to use the bath tub for that and then just squeeze out as much water as I gently can, press it between a couple big towels and lay it out on my little trampoline as a drying rack kind of thing. I hope it works out. I have had this coat for now, maybe 5-6 years and have never had it cleaned because I simply can not afford the dry cleaners, especially since there is a possibility of me having an itchy reaction from touching it if it gets dry cleaned. If it doesn't work I will just go to Goodwill and get a cheap jacket, it will probably cost less to do that than pay a dry cleaner anyway.