Work from Home Scams?

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by luigi • Jul 18, 2014.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I once worked for this really crappy PTC site. Oh it was dreadful but I had no other choice because I really need an extra $20 ASAP that day and I decided to make it using the easiest and fastest way possible.

The site claimed that it would pay me instantly after I get to cash out so it's a golden ticket for me to get that $20. So I worked from 7am to 11pm just clicking ads and doing godawful things until I finally reached $20.

The cashout threshold was $10 so I figured it was time to do it and so I did. But that $20 never came into my PayPal account and when I came back to check on the site my account was blocked for some reason.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sound pretty much like Neobux. The site assures its members that once they make $2, they can withdraw their cash. But guess what happens when they try to make a withdrawal?

They get an automated message which says, "There Are Too Many Withdrawals Being Processed Now. Please Try Again Later."

You could "Try Again Later" a million times but you'd still get the same message.

Moral of the story? Avoid all PTC sites.

3. Katewon1

Katewon1Member

Threads:

I take it back!!!! It's a scam too. Jerks. Once you reach the payout amount is when they make you pay. So much for free.

4. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I have not come across a scam, but I have found some serious time wasters. Right now, Inbox Dollars is the biggest thorn in my side. You have to get to a $30 payout. I spent several dollars a day for weeks either filling out demographic information for surveys I didn't qualify for, or watching the same promotion over and over for literal pennies. I have $29.80 saved up now, and the paid emails and videos have slowed down to nothing. At twenty cents away, my only choice is to keep doing a zillion internet searches with their toolbar for the next couple of days or to participate in a paid offer. I've already filled out all of the free offers. Let's hope this is not a scam and they will actually pay out when I get to $30. Then, I will take the money and run.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel the same. Sometimes I end up putting in my email to find out more information but I end up just getting spam that way.

6. LSJ-8

LSJ-8New Member

Threads:
    I've been at inbox dollars for about 6 months now and it has slowed tremendously. I'm at about $15. I figure once I get my $30 I'll walk away and not look back. Cash crate is similar to inbox dollars, but they actually do pay. The cash out amount is $20, and I got my first check in July. It did take a while and one of the draw backs is that it does not pay through paypal, only through a physical check that they mail you. However, the check is good, so if you're looking for just a little something extra here and there, cash crate is okay.

7. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    So far, Swag Bucks has been a way better deal than Inbox $. I cashed out for a $5 gift card (Target) and I spent very little time comparatively to get there. I just started a little over a week ago, so that's way sooner than other sites. I run the SB TV on my phone, then in the background on my computer. You can get up to $1.50 a day that way. They have a $25 paypal gift card, too. I'm waiting to make sure they actually pay up on the $5 payout before I devote any more time.

8. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    I avoid scams by doing my research first. I sometimes feel that work online jobs are a bit of scam as you get paid little for your time, but you generally are doing menial tasks so it balances out. I love working from home so I do what I can to keep the dream alive, and full time work is difficult to come by.

9. LSJ-8

LSJ-8New Member

Threads:
    Diligent research is important and sometimes you have to just give it a try. I have seen a LOT of reviews screaming that swagbucks is a scam, but I've been there for two years without an issue. The first things that popped up in google search two years ago (when I joined) were saying that swagbucks was a scam. I finally gave it a try anyway and was pleasantly surprised.

10. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    You might think the chance to make easy money in pajamas would get anyone’s hackles up. So how do these schemes endure? Most victims—typically senior citizens, stay-at-home mothers and people with low incomes—are too embarrassed to file a complaint; others get so frustrated they just walk away altogether.
    Whether it involves stuffing envelopes, processing medical insurance claims or assembling toys, most victims never get paid for their work or ever recoup their startup fees.

11. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Why don't you go to odesk/elance instead to avoid scams. The secret to avoid scams in freelance sites like odesk is to only accept jobs that offers hourly rate and not the fixed price. I have been into freelancing as well and made a living thru them.

12. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    just wanted to ask since I myself is a free lancer as well. i ge my clients mostly from odesk and this is where they see my profile and check whether I'm capable. how dyou convince your future clients to hire you?

13. randomdude

randomdudeMember

Threads:
    It seems as though everywhere I look on the internet there are work from home oppotunities. The majority of them can be seen if you forget to turn on your pop up blocker on your computer.I have even fallen for a few. For example I ran into a pop up advertisement video of an individual speaking. You probably have seen this one or simular to ir. The guy begins saying, " Hey! aren't you tired of running into work from home scams that pomise to make you millions overnight?" Even though the very thing they are promoting is exactly that, a scam. The video continues on with promising immediate results as soon as you purchase a how to guide or book from them. They even go as far as to showing you a fake print out of some ridiculously fake amount of money deposited into a fake account that they claim to be theirs. Lol. I have seen it all before. I admit it the first time I fell for it because I did want to work that dream job applying little to no effort towards my day at work. But I will never fall for another one again because they are all scams.

14. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree from what I've seen they're all scams. I know there are ones like call centers that are legitimate but I can't do those so the only ones that are legitimate and gives you a steady income are ones that won't work for me.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Those are some great base rules and points, on how to detect a scam. Many people miss them, and are so desperate that they will follow the 'scams' every request.

Another thing that throws out a red flag regarding work from home scams, is when they talk about jobs that are largely not performed by human beings anymore. Many actions are carried out by machines thee days, so people should ask themselves why they are being asked to perform certain tasks for money, when machines can and have been performing them much faster.

16. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    That's true as well....it's tough, I mean there are plenty of legitimate sites but for every legit one it seems like there are 5 scams, you know? And some of them can be pretty darn convincing. I know it's not a full proof method but I try to research a lot before I start one- see if a lot of people are having the same kinds of experiences with them or what the general consensus seems to be.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about. The scam sites that are convincing are far from stupid. What they seem to be doing these days is copying sites in their niche that are well established and proven not to be scams. so when people go to these scam sites, they think of the legit site that is established and their guard drops just that little bit more. This type of manipulation is awful but true.

18. polski691

polski691New Member

Threads:
    I would suggest you to be a bit more careful with your redeeming of points. I've been trying to make money online for a considerable amount of time, and I've generally found that sites hate it when you cash out at their lowest tiers. A site I had been using a while back (I think it was Neobux) had my account blocked because I would do a lot of work on the weekends and cash in almost immediately for their lowest tier Paypal gift card. They cited "suspicious activity on account" as the reason for blocking... Seems like such an easy thing to believe.

19. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    Swagbucks did honor the $5 Target gift card I earned. It took about ten days for processing, but it is available to me now. So, I'm holding out for the PayPal $25 cashout now. Mostly, I leave the Swagbucks TV running in the background, so it's entirely passive income. I don't have a cap on data usage with my internet plan. I use inbox dollars just to do internet searches and I click on their paid emails while I do something else. At this rate, I won't see another payout until next Summer.Since my son is now two weeks older (eek! they grow up so fast) I can actually type with both hands and have had enough sleep to almost compose a coherent sentence. Now, I'm looking at freelancing sites and doing more work on Mechanical Turk. It's a long and thankless day, but I'm finally starting to earn enough to take a little bit of the pressure off of my partner.

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    Neobux do not have gift cards or anything like that. It is a PTC website. You cashout in cash and that is it, unless it used to payout in gift cards before I was around. I mean the site has been around for years now. I have also tried Swagbucks. Once they cracked down on cheating on SBTV, it wasn't worth it anymore. Earning swagbucks took too long, and it used to take long enough before, never mind after they prevented users from running a bot to earn points on SBTV.