working a part-time job for group health insurance

Discussion in Life & Health Insurance started by vagabondmom • Jun 28, 2012.

1. vagabondmom

vagabondmomNew Member

Threads:
    I haven't had health insurance in years. :( As a freelancer I make too much for any kind assistance, but some months are so tight that paying for my own policy is difficult. Yet I need flexible hours with my daughter and nephew at home. So I'm thinking about a part-time job just to get coverage.

I remember reading about Starbucks offering coverage to employees working just 20 hours a week. Are there any other retail or service companies that might be good for this?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not completely sure, but I think Home Depot offers good benefits to part time employees. Starbucks definitely does. When I worked at a temp agency, I had insurance after so many hours worked. Temp agencies are starting to offer better perks, except for Kelly's Girls.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    It's tough for freelancers, isn't it? I've been a freelancer for years, but I'm covered by my husband's insurance.

I'd be wary of getting a part time job just for the insurance, if only because freelancers tend to already work much harder than people give us credit for, and adding a job on top of that might be oppressive (or at least I would personally find it so.) In New York, they advertise a lot on the subways about something called the freelancer's union, in which basically a group of otherwise unrelated freelancers get together and support each other with the kind of benefits you'd get from a job. Maybe you should look into that?

4. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I actually checked into working for Starbucks just for the insurance. It seems like the rate was very expensive just for yourself. If anyone can elaborate on this I'd be interested to know if this isn't so.

5. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Too bad freelance groups couldn't be formed in which as a group everybody could purchase their own insurance. The more people who buy insurance in a group, the more reasonable the rates are.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Getting insurance through an association is a good idea. A college alumnae association often have group insurance coverage. Also professional associations offer insurance too. I know that NAFE (National Association of Female Executives) offers insurance.

7. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    There is a company called Medi-Share in which Christians help each other with medical bills. There is a fee to apply and each month, depending on which plan you select, you pay a certain amount into the pool. There are many doctors and hospitals that accept this plan.

8. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    It kills me that so many people are having to go back and get jobs just to pay for health insurance. Or even just to pay bills. I hope you find something.

9. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I work a part time job to go with my freelance work. I really need the benefits so this is an ok job for me. I like having the comfort of working when I want and get my benefits.

10. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, I think it is a shame to have to go broke to get health insurance, even with the new health care laws you supposedly get some assistance with reduced amounts but the prices are still a bit high.