working out in the Summer vs Winter

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Rocky • May 13, 2013.

1. Rocky

RockyMember

Threads:
    How does your workout change from season to season?

I find that I am much more active in the summer and tend to be more consistent with my yoga and meditation practice. The summer also provides great opportunities for hiking and other outdoor activities. I seem to have more energy throughout the summer months and enjoy the extra activity!

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I get so lazy during the winter so I do extra effort during the summer season. For one thing, I prefer swimming as cardio, and that's just not fun to do during the cold seasons, and two, it's easier for me to think about and get into working out or exercising when I'm already sweating because of the heat to begin with. Lastly, it's just way too fun to eat when it's cold, the way it warms you right up is too cozy. During winter time, all I ever do is get on a treadmill in an enclosed and heated up room.

3. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is really cold during the winter and it takes a long time to warm up, especially as I train in my garage. The cold air can also be really harsh on your throat when doing cardio outside. I prefer training during the summer, even though I sweat a lot.

4. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    On this side of the continent, the cold is coming. Gradually the temperature drops and everyone who enjoyed the exercise must adapt to new circumstances. In my case, only adapt the hours of practice. Generally I run two or three times a week and in the winter I try to run in the hours where the sun is at its maximum. In that case, it is important to perform a warm up a little more intense than in summer, and of course, wear appropriate clothing (not suffocating).

In winter you should be careful to hit the gym as the cold or rain can cause you get respiratory diseases, low temperatures and winter typical dim allow efficiently train and fun, diverse activities, sports allow us to stay in shape without gaining weight, but it is important to take some precautions to avoid injury, health problems and some other unintended consequences. ;)

5. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to exercise less during the summer because of the heat. I'm the one that doesn't like sweating, and being sticky so I tend to not move much during the summer. I like to stay in my air conditioned room and do whatever. During the winter however, I move more since it's freezing and I want to sweat a bit. Overall, I think the winter is when I exercise the most.

6. ReishiSpore

ReishiSporeMember

Threads:
    I actually tend to exercise more in the winter than I do in the summer. I love being out and about when it's nice and hot (quite rare for the UK) and so exercising during this rare heat just feels like a waste of a good day. It does of course depend on the kind of exercise too, I mean I wouldn't mind cycling or swimming - just not a full on workout. I think exercising throughout the year is the best idea, but I find that I will always do much less exercise during the summer months in comparison to the winter.

7. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer working out much more during the Winter than the Summer. During the Summer i get all sloppy and i just want to sleep everyday, and it's always too much hot to move. It does feel nice to workout a sweat now and then during the summer, but not always.

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    In the summer I'll tend to do a lot more aimless walking simply because the weather is nice. It will be more difficult for me to stick to my workout routine, but I end up getting just as much if not more exercise.

9. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I play tennis so in the winter I tend to play less because of the rain. I always try to find indoor tennis courts, but usually these are very expensive, so that is a problem.

10. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    In the summer I was running and it was great. I would be dripping sweat, and jump in my pool afterwards.
    But when I tried to run in the cold weather, it really hurt my lungs. I should try again though.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely feel more comfortable working out on spring/summer. It's more comfortable, even if you sweat more, cause winter just makes me lazy and as I get a tendency to be really cold and I shiver a lot, it's not nice to go to the gym like that. Also, when you start working out you warm up, but until then it's hard to wear shorts and a shirt!!!
    Anyway, spring/summer is closer to "bikini season" and short shorts season, so it gives me extra motivation!

12. steisehodgson

steisehodgsonMember

Threads:
    I completely agree with you. I am much better and more motivated to keep up with my yoga and meditation in the summer, and also more motivated to get outside and exercise knowing that I'm not going to freeze to death. My mood also changes dramatically with the seasons and so I'm much happier in the summer which generally means I'm more likely to want to work out. Another thing I hate about working out in the winter is the cold air in my lungs, I find it hurts so much and lingers for hours after I've finished my work out. Also like you said, summer is a great time to go for walks and do all sorts of other outdoor activities.

13. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    It has been proven that more people workout during the warmer months opposed to the winter months. But if you're a true fitness nut, then it doesn't matter what month it is. You surely won't find me running outside in ice or snow, but I can always go to the gym.