Working Out When You Are Depressed

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by isabbbela • Mar 4, 2015.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had an emotional breakdown last week and have been very depressed for over a week now (with a psychiatrist, anti-depressives, sedatives and all that fun stuff) and I've been so down, not eating, not sleeping but tired all day and not wanting to do anything but cry.
    Yesterday was the first day I felt any will at all to move, so I decided to go to the gym. I only did 35 minutes on a treadmill but still I think it helped me feel better.... the "better" effect wears out, but I will try to go again today and again tomorrow because I really want to get better and everyone says working out helps.
    Do you think working out helps with depression? What are your biggest tips and favorite workouts for that?

2. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do think it helps with depression very much, but as you noted, I think the effects are only temporary. If you really are seriously depressed, it might take a bit more than exercise to boost you out of it.

I have exercised a lot in my life and although it does help for the day, the effects don't last. However, if you do exercise everyday, it gets you by long enough for you to deal and function rather well considering. So although I don't think it's the complete answer, I do think it plays a part in good functioning and getting better.

3. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    I'm sorry to hear that you have to face such times, but I see that you managed to make some progress by going to the gym and I have to say that you made a great decision, but you must keep going to the gym, because only then you will feel the real benefit. If I have to tell you a relly helpful advice, this would be to sign for an aerobic class, zumba, kangoo jumps or whatever you want. I think it will be really helpful.

4. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I think exercise can help with depression. Moving your body is a form of expression. The root cause of your depression is in you, and maybe exercising helps you to work it out in the only way you can express yourself right now. I have down exercise to lift my spirits before, some Palatines stretching with deep breathing and then some dancing.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. I absolutely do think exercise helps. Even a nice walk, so just get out and move when you can. You don't need a gym all the time. I also think food choices are HUGE when it comes to depression, so try to stay as clean and real as possible and it will take you even further.

Here's to healing :)

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I remember correctly, working out releases dopamine, which will make you feel better temporarily, yeah. The hard part will be to actually get yourself to excercise, since depression makes you so tired and lethargic you don't want anything to do with the world..

7. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Sorry to hear what you're going through. I think working out is a great way to help get through issues you're going through in your life. Might be different for you, but when I'm at the gym, I don't worry about the 1000 other things going on in my life, but just the exercise and focusing on having a good workout. Even if its just for a little while everyday, that's definitely progress towards working through your issues and feeling better.

8. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been where you are once, tablets and everything and whilst exercise was the absolute last thing I felt like doing, the benefits were immeasurable once I finally got going. It really is one of the best things you can help yourself.

9. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm glad to know that you were able to make yourself go to a gym. Exercising releases certain hormones that can make you feel better so I'm pretty sure that working out helps with depression a lot. The tricky part is to maintain exercising as a regular activity to prevent depression from creeping up again. :eek:

I don't know if I have experienced depression before (didn't go to a doctor). But there was a time when I also felt very very low (I think it was mid-life crisis :D) and jogging/running a couple of miles a day really helped me a lot. And to keep up with that activity, I invited a friend along to become my running buddy (it worked for me). :)

10. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely believe that exercise does help with depression. If you're feeling overwhelmed though and going to the gym feels too hard, you can try just doing a few body weight exercises at home. Or just go out in the sunshine for a short walk or bike ride. Sometimes, once you start moving you feel good enough that you want to continue longer than planned or do something more strenuous. If not, that's okay. At least you did a little bit.

11. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Working out is a strong medecine for... pretty much any and everything, actually! Much better than taking pills. In fact, for any chronic disease -- including depression -- 150 mins of exercise a week can be a great deal of good doing.

Honestly, if I'm ever having a panic attack, the only things that work to calm me down will be a quick meditation, or going for a run. Somehow, to shift my bad, angry energy onto some physical activity drains me of the negativity... and there is also the wonder of fresh air, post-work out buzz, a tiny bit of satisfying soreness, and the serotonins, of course! Cannot recommend enough, and I'm probably the most out-of-shape human being in my area!

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think exercise does help a lot with making you feel better and clearing your mind since from what I understand it makes your mind release certain chemicals that make you feel more euphoric. I don't believe it is good enough to be a substitute to actually getting to the core reason of depression but I think it tends to help a lot.

13. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    Working out increases serotonin and other "feel good" endorphins so it make sense that it made you feel better. It also increases confidence and improves your physical appearance and stamina. I think it's great that you found a healthy outlet to get yourself feeling better. I love dancing and think you should give it a shot too. Who can frown while getting down?

14. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    It's been scientifically proven than exercise released endorphins (your happy hormones), so working out is definitely a healthy way to get rid of all your pent up feelings! Best of luck getting out of depression my friend!

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was a period of time when I was doing high intensity workouts, and after these workouts, I noticed that I was having sudden bouts of laughter?? I was literally laughing out loud and there was no stimuli, as far as humor. I almost felt like my body was releasing old energy, and laughter was the reaction?? It was very strange, but felt marvelous.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As others have mentioned exercising can momentarily boast your mood. But that's exactly what you should look for. That ray of hope that no matter how long the night might appear to be dawn eventually will break. In addition to exercising I suggest doing something that will keep your mind off whatever issues that are the cause of your depression.

Something to remember as you battle depression:

Scars tell the story of where you’ve been, They don’t dictate where you’re going.

17. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Definitely. Working out/exercising is a good way to relieve stress, therefore, it helps reduce depression. Any activity that will sort of keep your mind off terrible things is an effective method. It helps boost your self-esteem too, as you feel good about yourself, you feel fit and healthier. Just continue doing that! ;)

18. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Working out is one of the fastest ways to provide temporary relief. I find it's good for anxiety too, and it funnels the excess adrenaline into something, which results in less anxiety post workout.

19. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Oh goodness. I have been there too many times myself. I know the effects of depression all too well. I will say that working out somehow does boost energy in my body and not just physically but mentally as well. It gives me temporary relief and I do feel a sense of renewal and capability like I am able to more forward with my day. Although exercising is not the ultimate solution to alleviate depression, it does help for a short period of time.

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would have to agree. The only thing is getting there, to that point where you are going to work out, and the depression is not going to stop you. Once you are getting the blood pumping, that is the easy part. But getting the mind to a place where you can decide to start the working out is the biggest hurdle.