Working Out When You Are Depressed

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by isabbbela • Mar 4, 2015.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    This works for me. You know when you are depressed you feel like you don't want to do anything, but as much as I could I try to do exercise, and then after I would feel good again and inspired. The effect of exercise is just so magical that it can turn your mood very really well.

2. Diana S.

Diana S.New Member

Threads:
    I really think that working out can help anyone with depression. I have been in the same situation as you are now and I couldn't sleep or do anything, I felt really bad and wasn't enjoying my life at all. I tried to go walk as much as I could and it really helped me. I felt better and I just walked for an hour or two. The fresh air helpes you.
    I would recommend you to go out and dance for some hours in a club. I know it sounds weird but if you do that and you are surrounded by friends and the music is good you will be happy . The serotonin level in your body will increase , you will exhaust yourself because of the dancing and this way your sleep will improve .

3. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    It looks like everybody on this thread agrees that working out is good for you when you are going through a period of depression. Anything physical helps, I believe. Anything that gets you out of the house with no particular stress involved other than the (obvious) stress of having to kick your own butt sometimes in order to make yourself get out.

I am sorry you are going through this time, but "through" is the operative word. God willing, it will not last forever. Or even for long.:)

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, if I were you I would still work out even if I am depressed, because exercise releases all these happy chemicals that can make us feel good, and since you are depressed, you definitely need to have lots of them. I hope you win the battle against depression! :)

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never been depressed or been on medication for it, but It's well known and proven fact that exercise does help lift your spirits. In fact, doctors always encourage depressed people to take up exercise as it does give you a lift. Some people have been known to even come off medication!

6. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’m coming out the other end of a depressive state myself. The anxiety’s still lingering, though, and I’ve found that stepping up my workout routine is the one thing that has helped. Strength training and body weight workouts have yielded the best results. I guess they help remind me that I am capable of doing whatever I want to do, even when I think I'm not. Sometimes the mood boost lasts all day, and sometimes it only lasts for an hour or so, but a temporary boost is better than nothing.

Weirdly enough, channeling my negative feelings into anger that I’m having such negative feelings in the first place has been a huge motivator not just for working out, but in general. It’s forced me to try and find solutions to the things that get me down. Which was how I decided to step up my workouts in the first place. Sometimes it’s exhausting, since change doesn’t happen overnight, but the upshot of that is I’m often too tired to dwell on the worst that could happen.

7. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    It gets better, trust me. Try to lift weights in addition to doing cardio. I had depression as well before. I tried going to the gym every week and doing regular routines; it's helped me a lot since then.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do believe there are reports that support the benefits of working out when depressed. I do hope you are feeling better and will be able to contine to work out until you pass this trying time. Working out can give you a different thing to think about instead of your problems.

9. lefttowrite

lefttowriteNew Member

Threads:
    Ah, the power of endorphins! You are right, OP, the best medicine to fight a fleeting mood of depression is working out. Sometimes depression can be built off negative responses to your own situation. Whether that be financially, academically or physically. Maybe you aren't satisfied with your health? Going to the gym and losing excess fat should be gratifying to anyone, because it helps us stay fit and build our confidence. After that has been completed it opens a world to a new perspective, letting us focus on new things. Sparking a drive, and I know you've found one after working out. I hope you continue in your effort to fight depression and become as healthy as ever!

10. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I had an awesome experience with exercise boosting my mood a few weeks ago. Now, I won't say I was depressed, but I was experiencing deep pain from a decision I made. I tried shaking it off and I even prayed for God to take the pain away. One evening I decided to go outside and just walk for about an hour. I wasn't walking all that fast, but at a normal speed. When I went back inside, I realized the pain was gone. So, I think it was both the exercise and being out in nature that helped to release those endorphins. I also seem to have better results when I do a less intense walk that is longer vs and shorter more intense walk.

11. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    The more I think about it, the more I’d have to agree - mild to moderate exercise is probably better for depression, and higher-intensity exercise is more effective for anxiety. At least, that’s how it works for me. Plus if you keep it low-intensity while depressed, you’re less likely to lose your motivation. I know I’m a fan of a long, aimless walk when my energy is somewhat low.

12. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Regular exercise has been proven in multiple studies to help combat the effects and feelings of depression. That's why individuals with depression are always encouraged to find a form of exercise they love. Weight lifting, running, and yoga are all popular options that people with depression might consider to combat their symptoms.

13. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Working out when you're feeling down always works wonders. The fact is that you release endorphins when you do strebous physical activity, and they naturally make you feel good.

14. PaulSpec

PaulSpecNew Member

Threads:
    If I remember correctly, working out releases dopamine, which will make you feel better temporarily, yeah. The hard part will be to actually get yourself to excercise, since depression makes you so tired and lethargic you don't want anything to do with the world..

15. walker498

walker498New Member

Threads:
    I can definitely agree that working out is the short term solution, but not a long one. Your mind is a powerful entity, much to powerful for something like exercise to conquer. I should know. I was diagnosed with a mental disorder a few years ago, and even though exercise is recommended for my condition I just can't see it really providing the solution. The best thing to do is to keep working with your psychiatrist, work out and by all means....pray.

16. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, exercise is a great way to get relief. It elevates your mood naturally and without the side-effects of anti-depressants. Just keep doing it and you'll recover in no time. Exercise has been proven to enhance creativity. As it scavenges out all toxins, your depression gets better and you'll soon be weaned off most of the medicines.

Coming to favorite workouts, Bench press is my favorite workout. My coach used to put me through Arms, Chest and Thighs classes on alternate days. I used to feel pretty high on all days, when I was exercising.

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Depressed or not, I normally just ride the stationary bike or perform as many as 200 jumping jacks. I'm not a fitness buff but I do mind my health. Getting sick too often can drain your pocket. My coping mechanism is just different, however. Instead of a rigorous workout, I walk about a 3 to 5 kilometers. Doing so takes my mind off things. Although it's a milder option, the principle is no different from working out. As others have already pointed out, hormonal imbalance, the lack of neurotransmitter stimulation and other such factors may contribute to depression. A good exercise definitely makes a difference in your mental faculties.

18. egrocket

egrocketNew Member

Threads:
    Working can be an excellent anti depressant. Especially if you are angry, the treadmill can be a good remedy to release the anger. Exercise is always healthy for you and it shows.

19. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    Working out is something that I use when I just need to get away from the world for a bit. It has been the thing that has helped me to be able to cope with some of the massive things that happen in my life sometimes and it is something that helps me to relax and just go into another world.

20. Cilivren

CilivrenMember

Threads:
    I don't think I have ever been actually depressed myself. I do feel down often, feel like I'm a failure and don't want to do anything, but I can't call this depression because I can usually fight it. Anyway, when I feel that way, it's really difficult for me to force myself to work out, but when I eventually do, it really helps. I can forget about problems for some time and concentrate on the workout. I feel much better afterwards.