Working Out With Youtube

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Haarlie1011 • Jun 12, 2015.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's a great idea for those it works for. I used to use videos when I was still a new mom, but it didn't really do much for me. Not until I stopped eating processed food. That took care of the weight.. now fitness is just things I love to do (hiking, biking, playing with the kids. Sustainable! Moving is what matters.. pushing yourself isn't)

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It has definitely been very useful to me for exercising and I have no doubt it helps a lot of other people out with this too because I see so many videos getting made and getting popular. I am glad there is a free alternative for us that teaches how to do simple and effective exercises at home so we won't have to pay for gym membership or expensive equipment especially those that are sold on tv that I don't think really works all that well usually.

3. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    YouTube has a wide range of great exercise videos which are perfect to do in the comfort of your own home and at your own convenience. Not everybody can afford a gym membership or have the times or means to get to one, especially if you have little ones at home. YouTube gives you the option of staying fit and never having to leave your home. If you have little ones they can exercise right along side of you. They will think that is great. Of course they won't be able to all the moves but it will be entertaining to watch them trying. I really like how you can find a video for almost anything on YouTube. It is a great site!

4. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I did tried youtube workouts too. In particular, the HIIT workouts which did make me lose weight. My only problem with this is if my baby suddenly wakes up then my workout is interrupted. So just brisk walking in our village with my baby is my better option.

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I was skeptical at first but I actually love YouTube workouts. I've been able to go at my own pace and I've gotten a lot of benefits from them. I love fitnessblender especially.

6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    When I was young I used to record on cassettes a series of songs that I used to workout, kind of doing a fitness choreography before this concept became so popular.

Now I don't see any problem finding the best workout music much in the was I used to search it among my vinyl records, only that this time it's way too much easier by browsing YouTube and making a Fitness Playlist ;)

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have tried before to work out with YouTube videos. I selected some dancing videos and started dancing along. It is actually very fun, however I felt silly doing it by myself in my own living room. I enjoyed group workouts we have a bunch of people dancing with you, or doing yoga or Pilates with you.

8. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a new SAHM and totally get what you mean. Know who I discovered a month or so ago on YouTube and am completely and utterly in love with? The Fitness Marshall. SO much fun and SO sweaty at the end of 3 simple minutes!!!! Best workouts ever and I used LOve lifting weights so for me to enjoy this which is only cardio is a big deal. LOL

9. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I also find working out in my home is a lot easier and more convenient time wise. I love finding videos on Youtube. A lot of the videos I feel I am getting a better work out then if I were to go to the gym and exercise alone. I am a fan of Fitness Blender and the Blogliaties videos. I like the shorter ones because I find I am more likely to complete 3 10min videos then 1 30 min video.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is great when you can find singular videos, but ultimately there is little to no progression with those. What I enjoy the most is being able to find channels that have videos related to working out, and channels that update regularly with new stuff. It is like having your own instructor, and for no extra cost.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you find someone that does high intensity, let me know. And no, I don't mean that "hard and fast" bull plop.. it's just hard on the joints, relies on momentum and causes injury. Slow and controlled wins the race.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yes, you are right about that. Not many people do the high intensity workout - not that I have seen in any event. I suppose that is why people purchase those high intensity workout DVD's. Though having said that there MUST be some on Youtube, since everything that you can think of exists on Youtube. Have you ever heard of Ido Portal? He is a movement artist, and his philosophy on human movement and health is just astounding and resonates so deeply. Check him out, and maybe you will get something from it. I really think you will!!!! ;)

13. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah i do agree with you that's a fact that after babies is hard to join a gym for your maintenance of your body fitness. But as we know that a health body keeps a healthy mind so we shouldn't ignore ourselves. We could save some time to join gym and could also maintain our body by watching some youtube videos if you ever join any gym. So you must be aware of some tips or conditions those needs to be apply.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The last time I checked for proper high intensity on youtube, all I found was a bunch of fast lifting and jumping around lol. Whatever floats their boats! lol. I did find one (maybe two, can't remember) but they weren't very active on there.

I'll check that out though, thanks! And thanks for giving me posts to contribute to today haha xo

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    You actually sound a little bit like Ido Portal (pronounced Edo Poortal) in your opening sentence there. He has a very in-depth knowledge and understanding of human movement and how the body responds and needs it. He calls the fast movements, lifting and jumping around, for what they are, and speaks about how a lot of it will have you unable to use your body to its full potential, especially at those later stages in life. And you are more than welcome, hun :)

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I'm glad someone has an understanding. All I see, pretty much everywhere, nevermind YouTube, is a bunch of careless workouts that mostly contribute to injury and very little benfit at all (most results everyone sees is actually diet). If done properly, workouts don't have to take up a lot of your day... you can get FAR more benefit from the shorter end of an hour than you could going on for hours the way everyone seems to. If you love it, that's great.. but if you're going to continue (general you, not you you) then at least study up on proper movement so you're actually targeting what you THINK you've been targetting lol. And do it safely and with far more impact.

My husband is thee guru.. but I'm always interested in finding others and supporting them. Anyone that's gone through puberty can be a personal trainer as long as they have a couple hundred to do it.. not exactly gleaming qualifications for anyone in the health/fitness field.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    I agree. Much like what Ido says, most people are working out just for appearance sake. They want muscles because they look good, and they are weak, inagile, and inflexible, as well as completely unable to use their bodies to the fullest capacity. Or there are those who eat crappy food and think that if they just workout everything will be ok, not even aware of the fact that they are not optimizing their workouts.

18. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I love working out at home to youtube videos! I found one particular channel that I really love. But it's so much easier than going to the gym. Plus I'm just much more comfortable in my own home than in front of a bunch of strangers. I love living in the age of technology where we have that possibility! And now I'm expecting, so I'll be looking up workouts specifically for that. :D

19. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    YouTube is a great way to get your exercise on. It is also cheaper than buying a bunch of separate dvds. You could literally search what kind of workouts you like. I love watching the older versions where everyone is wearing big hair and what not. I once typed in some workout trainers like Julian Michaels and she popped up as well.

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    It is so much easier than going to the gym, right? I could not agree more. It is free, and you are in the comfort of your own home to look silly if need be, whilst you learn. All sorts of freedoms available when you workout from home with Youtube. On the other hand though, I do understand that not everyone is the same. And that others will thrive in gym environments in ways that they might not at home.