Workout Clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Sam Tarly • Jul 16, 2014.

1. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    I am beginner when it comes to the whole workout scene, I've only just started hitting the gym and running laps around the neighborhood and I was wondering if I should invest in proper workout clothes? Right now, I just use sweatpants and yoga pants that I've already had, and I wasn't sure if they were okay or if I should buy something specific for working out. Do you guys invest in special clothes for working out or do you just make do?

2. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    Nope - I like to save costs and wear whatever I currently own. I was the guy that would go to the gym after working (at the office) with his slacks, dress shoes, and buttoned down collared shirts. I wouldn't change either. I'd do my workout and go straight home. It saves me a lot of money just using what I already own. If I wasn't using work clothes, I'd be in a loose T shirt and shorts.

3. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just wear an old t-shirt, compression shorts and running pants. I wear compression pants to prevent chaffing, plus it's been a habit since my cross country days.

The only stuff I would REALLY invest in is the shoes. Being in cross country I take care of my feet really well so I'm very picky about my workout shoes. I usually buy Asics running shoes, which are really expensive but it's totally worth the investment.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also don't see the point of buying work out clothes when you could use the clothes you already have. Yoga pants and sweat shirts are always OK.

For me, when I work out I use some of my old T-shirts and a pair of shorts because I like light work out gear.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I´d say wear whatever makes you feel comfortable and don´t waste money on any special clothes. What you are wearing right now sounds practical and convenient to me.
    I wear the same sort of clothes when I go to the gym. The only thing that I invested in, was a pair of good canvas sport shoes. :)

6. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    If you did heavy running, and you wanted to protect you knees and ankles I'd say invest in some good running shoes... But I don't think that's the case.
    People who buy clothes to look good in the gym are douches... Just do the work and get ripped my dude :)

I thought you were going to share some tips on how to get work out gear for cheap ;)
    I need some running shoes :(

7. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I think what you have is just fine. I exercise in sweatpants and I have many sports bras. I say only invest into different workout gears if you have the money to spend for it. There are always great deals online, particularly eBay where you can get items really cheap. I don't really concern myself with what I am wearing while exercising. I just want to get the benefits from my workouts.

8. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I think you should exercise in whatever you feel most comfortable in, my only suggestion would be to invest in some great foundation garments, sports bras, compression shorts, etc. because they will just make your workouts more comfortable. Exercise gear can be expensive but I have found Old Navy and Gap have good quality workout wear that often goes on sale.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like buying new workout clothes from time to time, but I don't find that it's necessary to spend a lot of money on those. My favorite workout items ever were bought at Ross at a hugely discounted price. They have Nike, Adidas, Puma stuff there for great prices. It's worth checking them out if you have a Ross nearby.

10. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    For the most part, I would say stick with what you already own. I have found myself on the lookout for good quality workout shorts though. Most of the lounging shorts I have just don't work for jogging or any hard physical activity because they tend to ride up. I found a pair of shorts on Amazon that claims to not do this and they are "designed" for exercise so I'm just waiting for those to arrive.

11. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    Buying good workout clothes isn't about looking good, it's about how they react in certain conditions or doing certain activities.

An examples, if you were running a lot, you wouldn't want to wear baggy pants because they would get in the way and potentially cause problems with movement. For movement like this, you want something that moves with your body. I don't wear tight cloths, I do wear shorts to work out.

I definitely buy special shirts for working out because I sweat a lot. I need something that dries and cools me as I go, and in general a t-shirt doesn't cut it (it stays wet for hours).

12. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I also wear loose t-shirts and comfortable shorts while working out. I don't buy workout clothes very often, and I usually pick them up at thrift stores when I do. The only things I buy brand new and don't mind investing some money on are sports bras and a good pair of shoes. I always check out stores like Academy for their clearance sales. I have picked up some very good shoes at really great prices there.

13. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    While buying proper gear is important, to start out with it isn't vital. If you have a pair of trainer or plimsolls, a pair of shorts or an old pair of tracksuit bottoms, and a t-shirt then you can start running around your neighbourhood. Worry about spending money on expensive gear in a month or so when you are certain you will continue and not leave them in a cupboard somewhere to gather dust.

14. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    Just do whatever you feel comfortable in. It's not so important to look the part as it is to keep up a routine. If you can only exercise when you're wearing your winter coat and long johns, do it. The most important part is to do it and not worry about proper attire. As time goes on, then you can reward yourself for persevering with some solid workout clothes.

15. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Nah, what's the point to go all out and buy new clothes when you're more than likely going to give up on the gym before you get a proper use out of them? I mean, sure you might think you're going to do great this time, but be honest with yourself;are you really going to stick it out?

16. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really have especial clothes for working out. I just wear my most comfortable clothes. Those that absorb sweat and not too tight-fitting so I could move well. If you don't have these kinds of clothes, then I suggest that you buy because you can't make the most of your exercise if you are not comfortable with your clothes.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also don't invest in workout clothes since I think that a pair of shorts and loose shirt is enough for working out, since I only do jogging. But if you are going to the gym, then I think you should invest in workout clothes since you will be seen by other gym regulars, so it would be best to look your best when working out in the gym.

18. bellagreen007

bellagreen007New Member

Threads:
    You don't have to buy new clothes for workout as long as you are comfortable of what you are wearing during your workout. It really depends on you but for me I'd like to have a comfortable workout clothes and shoes to avoid injury. Having a good shoe in workout is very important to avoid injury.

19. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Obviously you need something that is comfortable to run in, but buying brand new and expensive clothing is a waste of time in my opinion. When I go to the gym, I wear a plain t shirt which I bought from Primark for £1.50 (I bought a few of these in case I go again before I have chance to wash the first one) and sports leggings, which also only cost £2. So I thought that was quite good considering the amount of money that some people who I know spend on their gym habits! I don't think it's a good idea to go to the gym in jeans, though, so if that's all that you have at the moment then I would recommend getting some new clothes that would be more suitable for the purpose.

20. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    For my workouts I just use a set of old clothes that I don't wear outdoors anymore. But then again, my workouts are indoors since I stopped going at the gym. And since the way I look in my clothes doesn't matter anymore (no one to see me) I decided not to invest in specialized workout clothing. After all, I stopped going to the gym in order to save some cash, why waste it on clothes that I can do without?