Worst Dog Breeds

Discussion in Pets started by Metalhead • Feb 4, 2015.

1. Metalhead

MetalheadNew Member

Threads:
    What are the worst canine breeds to keep for people that are new to having pets ?

My mom used to have a Chihuahua as a kid and she said it was one of the worst behaved dog she ever had, and she usually trained her dog pretty well, some even participating in contests. I'm considering getting a bloodhound right now, and from what I've been reading, they're pretty good pets for people that never had experience with dogs.

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Chihuahuas, poodles and larger dogs like rottweilers and pit bulls are not great options if you never had pets. The first two breeds because they are really loud and tend to be more independent and the last two because they can be a bit violent if you don't know how to train them and deal with them.

3. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say that I am open to most dog breeds but I do draw the line at pit bulls and dobermans. These are two pet breeds that I don't think I would ever want to own. Maybe they are good watch dogs but they don't come across as a type of breed that would be easy to train or love.

As for Chihuhuas' I use to think they were punky annoying breeds myself while growing up. Then my family happened to acquire one that my brother rescued, and we named him Buddy. He was a loving little dog, but I will admit that he did have a tendency to bark and act tough around other dogs in the neighborhood. I wonder if this is something about the breed itself, that because they are so small they feel the need to act like they are tough as a defense, who knows.

4. LAGuy

LAGuyMember

Threads:
    Another vote for Pit Bulls here... I'm sick of reading stories about a pitbull attacking people and the owners saying they were totally surprised - "He was so gentle"... Ummm, gentle doesn't rip a person's face off... It's always good to get a calm dog like a Golden Retreiver... or even a Basset Hound (But then again, I'm biased!)

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the stigma around Pitt Bulls is overblown. Sure, if the dog was raised to fight, then was later rescued - that's a more volatile situation, but if someone raised them from puppies, and they weren't trained to be violent, they would be fine. Any dog that is raised to fight is going to have violent tendencies. Bulldogs were originally bred to fight as well, and they are adorable with kids. Bloodhounds were once considered vicious dogs, yes, bloodhounds, and now days it's Pitt Bulls getting the bad rap.

I've heard complaints about Chihuahua's being difficult, and I've also been told they're not the brightest of the bunch either, lol, despite being cute as hell. I guess it depends on how patient you are with them or whatever breed you choose. Terrier's can be difficult as well, but we had one for almost 15 years and she was a total sweetheart. It's just that when she wanted to go for a walk, or wanted something, she would not stop until she got her way.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think there's such a thing as "worst" dog breed. Sure there will be some stereotypes, some of which may contain a grain of truth in them but as Ohiotom points out, how you raise a dog is what ultimately determines how it ends up behaving.

Nonetheless if I had to pass judgment, I would say Bulldogs are the worst because they are ugly as hell.

7. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I am with you on this! Pitbulls got the worst reputation on this planet! I have a Pitbull mixed Boxer, and this is our first puppy. He is the gentlest dog that I have come across from being around other people's dogs. I don't allow tug, stringing his neck, or playing rough because of their reputation. He wouldn't hurt our rabbit but only gives her kisses :)

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Try not to raise a Doberman or a German Shepherd if you're a first-time owner. They can be aggressive and unless you're well-versed in the art of raising canines, growing these breeds will be a chore to you. Try to stick with docile breeds like Golder Retrievers, Dachshunds, Pomeranians (some of the best), Akitas, Chow Chows, Terriers and Huskies. Pugs are a bit handful but some can be tamed.

9. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Wow pitbulls do get the worst rap ever. Can we agree on one thing? Pitbulls and other 'aggressive' dogs are high maintenance dogs that shouldn't be kept by people who are just 'enthusiasts' or who don't have any experience in dealing with them. Some of the nicest dogs I know are pitbulls, and their owners are so above averagely good at training dogs that they might as well be professionals without a badge or an official certificate.

If you just love dogs overall or just think that they make cute pets without really knowing the responsibilities entailed, please get a golden retriever or a beagle. Those breeds are more forgiving to new and inexperienced owners. You may actually save a pitbull's life if you don't get one just because you think they're cool.

As for my worst dog breed pick: any of the smaller and shorter snout breeds except bulldogs. It totally depends on training by the way, but most smaller dogs are very loud and very aggressive.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never had a dog of my own, but my parents have always had dogs of different types of breeds. My father in law is also huge into dogs and has had many different types. I have never known any of theirs to misbehave or be aggressive. My father in law insists there are no bad dog breeds, but rather owners. He says it's how you train the dog that determines the type of dog it becomes. He is very firm in his stance that it's unfair that many dog breeds get a bad rep.

11. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I understand the feeling many of you have about Pit bulls in this thread but in all these stories you're reading or hearing about concerning them attacking people you learn very little of the owner. It's the owner that makes the dog let alone the breed of dogs. So many people own pit bulls & have no idea how to properly train them. I blame that on the idea (that some idiot probably rapped about) that pit bulls are vicious guard dogs that you train by abusing them. I know the nanny dog idea has been disputed but it's easy to do this when inbreeding & abuse lend to a different breed of dog within its own breed. It's depressing. I agree with the post a few above me: There is no 'worst breed'. Just worst owners.

12. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer smaller dogs like Jack Russells since they're not much to take care of. I wouldn't exactly call them terrible dogs or anything, but I had quite the time living with 2 basset hounds. They're very nice and energetic dogs, but they love to get messy and whenever they see food they just slobber everywhere. Their howl is also very loud @_@