Worst item you've bought from the dollar store

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by dissn_it • Apr 15, 2012.

1. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Ok, we did the best things to buy at a dollar store on a separate thread but I have also bought some bad things there, too. I think the worst one was the time I bought tortilla chips for a Superbowl party. I thought I was saving myself an extra stop at another store and just got them at the dollar store. Those things were nasty. I ended up going to the store during the game for a replacement bag!
    What are some of your bad dollar store buys?

2. l33t

l33tMember

Threads:
    My worst experience was buying a whole bag of "chocolate cups". They were shaped like the peanut butter cups from Reese's. I was planning to buy the Reese's cups, but I decided to save a few bucks. I had a lot of second thoughts because there was no branding on it. It was a decision I regretted because the chocolate tasted like throw up, I got sick, and there was no peanut butter as promised. Maybe they were trying to sell a defective product or something.

3. shanontherocks

shanontherocksNew Member

Threads:
    The worst thing I bought was paper plates that ended up being a hassle rather than a life-saver. My cousin ran out of plates at her son's party so I ran up to the dollar store and bought paper plates from the clearance bin. Well, children were dropping their hot dogs, so we had to buy more hotdogs and let them eat the out of napkins. Talk about a hectic day.

4. brentcsi101

brentcsi101New Member

Threads:
    The worst thing I bought from the dollar store was this hot wheels knock off. It literally lasted about 5 minutes, then the metal frame bent, and the tire axle bent as well. I basically bought a "lemon" toy. Ever since that incident, I've been straying away from any cheap store, unless I urgently need some paper plates or something like that.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oy, those are quite the disaster stories, especially the food ones! Sounds gross and maybe even dangerous if you got sick.

For me, my horror stories are more like Brent's. I've tried buying toys at them before, but they're so cheap that I don't even bother any more. They always break so fast or don't even work in the first place.

6. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    I have also had some bad luck with generic food from the Dollar Store. It's typically worse than the generic food you can get at other stores like Wal-Mart, etc. I think it's like they just scrape the absolute bottom of the food barrel and package that stuff up with Dollar Store branding. Not good!

7. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    My worst purchase must have been a pack of razors. I KNOW I KNOW - why would I purchase razors at a dollar store? I was in a hurry leaving on a trip and needed those cheap fujifilm single use cameras for a project I was doing. I bought a whole much and noticed the razors an aisle over. I hadn't packed any in my bag and we would be visitng a water park so they were necesarry. With no time to stop again I just bought them there - huge mistake. The first razor wasn't assembled too well and the handle completely separated from the shaving mechanism causing a nice cut up at my knee. I threw it out, opened a new one only to find that this one didnt even have a razor, IT WAS JUST THE PLASTIC. Finally razor # 3 allowed me to shave both my legs only up to my knees. As soon as these legs touched chlorine - I broke out into rashes all over my legs. I couldn't stay in the water for more than ten minutes at a time. The burn was too much to handle - the razors caused major skin burn. Horrible purchase - never again.

8. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I've done the razor thing before! Big mistake!

As far as my worst purchase, well, ironically, I purchased a pair of earbuds for my iPod there today. They were torn up within ten minutes of use. They are not the right size. Just a horrible, horrible purchase. I should have shelled at the extra few dollars and driven next door to Wal-Mart. I love the Dollar Tree though, so I won't complain too much. :)

9. Budget Diva

Budget DivaNew Member

Threads:
    I bought some permenant markers at a Dollar Store, once. They lasted five seconds, it was like someone had left the cap off the markers. They barely made a mark and I quickly chunked them. Man, I feel for you when you bought the cheap razors. I have bought some from the Dollar store before and did not have that problem.

10. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    You can't count on anything at the Dollar Store to be of high quality :) I buy my kids those $1 plastic animals there because they love them, like having a lot, and Mom doesn't really care if they get broken or anything sooner than the others.

11. daisiesndots

daisiesndotsMember

Threads:
    My worst product from a dollar store would have to be the candy. The food doesnt usually bother me because its usually good names that are just sold in a smaller package, I never buy the off brand names but the candy would have to be the worst. I dont feel that it tastes good at all. I feel that if I want some good holiday chocolate, I will go to walmart and pay a bit more for it.

12. alinass

alinassMember

Threads:
    Some plates. They were really pretty but I didn't see that some of them were brocken and I couldn't return them. When I tried to use a not broken one and I put it in the microwave I saw sparks. The plate had a little thin metal line on the back!!!

13. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    Bad dollar store buys, oh my! Let's see... there was the Ocean Creatures cheese crackers I bought for my kids to put in their lunches instead of goldfish crackers. Those were disgusting. Canned Mango, yeah that was pretty gross as well. I remember buying some kind of little craft kit once and when we opened it, it was missing half the pieces to even make it. My daughter was very dissapointed. I know I have a bunch more, but my brain seems to have ceased functioning.

14. Stephanie

StephanieMember

Threads:
    I agree with the thumbs down for razors. I scraped both my legs up with them.

A big miss was their nail polish remover. I thought for sure I had tried it once, and it was usable, but I would have had better luck with water than the last bottle I purchased.

On the other hand, my kids and I love most of their candy. We always make a trip there before heading to the movie theater! Maybe we aren't as discerning when it comes to sweets!

15. melmac

melmacMember

Threads:
    A pregnancy test! I pulled it out of the package and it was like a little laboratory. I had to pee in a cup, suction out the pee and use a dropper onto the test. But, hey, it was only a dollar, so I can't really complain! :)

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is amazing how you can go into the Dollar Store to spend a dollar and come spending up to $30 or more and most of it can be junk. My worse purchase was a night lite. It gave off very little light and lasted about 30 minutes. When you purchase something from the dollar store you understand you are taking a chance that it will not work.

17. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    It never fails. If I buy Dollar Store toys they're broken by the end of the day! My son always went straight for the styrofoam air planes and they were broken within the hour!

18. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Wow. I'm not sure I would've risked that for something so serious. Did you test again with another brand? It doesn't sound like it would be reliable.

19. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    The worst item I bought would have to be a watch. I needed a watch for work and I picked one up at the dollar store. I got it back home it was working for a week, and then it stopped ticking.

I just looked at the watch, and I was disappointed that it only lasted a week. Electronics seem to be the most faulty products at the dollar store. I also bought some dish liquid from there, and it wouldn't produce any bubbles.

It was like I was using syrup to wash the dishes, I saw maybe one or two bubbles in the sink. I looked at the ingredients and the main ingredient was water. I think they purposely water down their products to stretch their inventory.

20. emmit6378

emmit6378New Member

Threads:
    The worst item I ever bought was a toy for my daughter. It was a growing dinosaur egg. it was empty. she was sad. i was sad. we dont do that anymore :)