Worst item you've bought from the dollar store

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by dissn_it • Apr 15, 2012.

1. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    The only thing I hate from dollar stores are the toys, they don't last one day. I learned my lesson and now I just buy my kids coloring books or a balloon.

2. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Ah yes, the dollar store paper towels! They are NOT the quicker picker upper that is for sure! They are like tissue paper. I am sure they are ok to flush down the toilet, and that is where they belong.

3. tn13

tn13New Member

Threads:
    I'm going to agree with the candy answer... unless it's brand name, it always tastes funny. I must admit I enjoy going to dollar stores and looking at some of the stranger products there. The toys and off-brand foods that are clearly trying to look like a recognizable brand are my favourites (but I wouldn't buy them)!

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    The absolute worst was a hair brush. I brushed my hair and it smelled like burned rubber. My hair smelled like I was ran over by an oily car. I tried to wash it, soak it and nothing would remove that horrible plastic smell. I just ended up using it on my dog and then it made him smell bad so I chucked it after one day.

5. love2loveu

love2loveuMember

Threads:
    Well this was several years ago, the worst item I have ever purchased from the dollar store was toothpaste. I was not real Colgate but that fake stuff and it tasted terrible. I will never do that ever again!

6. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    The 5-pack of cheap toothbrushes! NEVER get these! My mom used these cheap toothbrushes on vacation and some of the bristles actually came out and she swallowed them! They got lodged in her throat and she had to get them removed at the hospital. It was a nightmare!

7. ValerieAnne

ValerieAnneMember

Threads:
    I've had good luck with food,etc from the dollar store. You have to really pay attention to the sell by dates. The worst thing I ever bout was a toy. It was a video console that you plugged into a tv, it was basically supposed to be a cheaper version of Wii. It worked, it just didn't keep the kids entertained and the batteries drained very easily.

8. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    Food at dollar stores is always a hit or miss proposition. I try to stick to light foods like potato chips, crackers and pretzels. I don't feel right buying any more than that. I've seen things like 10 hot dogs for $2 and that just doesn't seem right to me. I like saving a dollar here and there but not at the risk of my health.

9. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    Styrofoam plates. I bought some for a party and they did not hold up. They also melted after being in the microwave for less than a minutes. The plates weren't even worth the little we spend of them if you ask me. You're not really getting a deal if the things can't atleast cover the basics.

10. GGGuardian

GGGuardianMember

Threads:
    I bought a little toy from the dollar tree near my house and the second we open the packaging the head of the toy falls off. As I die laughing my little nephew bursted into tears. The quality of everything from the dollar store sucks!

11. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to say the worst item I ever bought is some of their toys. They were cheaply made and broke while getting it out of the package! I mean how can you play with the toys if they are breaking that easily!

12. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I can't think of anything. I've always been very careful and particular about the things that I buy at the dollar store. It's only but so much quality that you can get for certain items at $1.00, so I set my expectations accordingly.

13. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    I think the worst thing I've bought at the dollar store was a toy. Almost every time, by the time we get home, the toy is broken. It's usually because they are made from flimsy plastic material.

14. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly I can't stand dollar store "juice".
    Its not even from fruit or anything. Its just sugary water with
    food coloring.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My worst dollar store purchase was actually a ream of copier paper. I saw this package of white paper and I said "It looks the right size, how can they mess up copy paper?" Boy was I wrong. It had some kind of cheap almost shiny coating on it, so it didn't absorb printer ink and caused an inky mess when I tried to print on it.

16. Meow

MeowMember

Threads:
    I've had this happen a couple times. Or the actual speakers fall out within minutes.

I've also bought gum that was only half full... That one was disappointing.

17. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    Just last week I bought my son a couple of coloring books, stickers, and some crayons. The coloring books are fine but the crayon are so dry they won't even color when you use them. The stickers were equally crappy, they were so dried out that they won't stick. I'm never buying those again.

18. Budgeteer

BudgeteerNew Member

Threads:
    This was my experience as well. The cheap paper plates they have there aren't so great. Either you get too few to be worth the hassle, or the ones you get are flimsy.

19. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    was it like plastic paper? I bought some as well. I was so mad! It made the biggest mess because the ink just smeared off it even after an hour. The kids couldnt even color on it. Its like it had a protective force-field.

20. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    The dollar store can have nice things but some things you just don't buy, like food. I will never buy non branded candy again from there. It tasted like crap and cardboard, and my candy was sort of stale.LOL!!