Worst item you've bought from the dollar store

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by dissn_it • Apr 15, 2012.

1. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I don't remember anything being bad as I don't buy too many things. That pregancy test thing is scary, but isn't that the way they all work, urinating on the vial?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You should try the Ultra Concentrated dish soap at the Dollar Tree. It's a giant 50 ounce bottle for $1 and it actually lathers and does a decent job of cutting grease. Ever since I found out we had a new Dollar Tree, I've been going there once or twice a week and many of their cleaning products are a good deal because they work.

3. clay1224

clay1224Banned

Threads:
    The worst thing I've ever bought from a dollar store was some Christmas lights. When plugged in they didn't even turn on.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too. I bought a set of colored lights at a dollar store once. They glowed for a few minutes ,then burned out immediately.

My best deal for Christmas lights was at a yard sale. I paid $3 for a tangled ball of Christmas lights that the owner didn't feel like like untangling. Once I got the mess home and untangled everything, there were several nice sets of lights in there including some icicle lights. The lot would have cost me more than $3 at a store. Sometimes a willingness to do a little extra work on yard sale finds pays off.

5. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    I love to do crafting with items from the Dollar Store. I also love to buy cleaning products there. I also get storage containers there much cheaper than a retail store. Home decor, you name it! Its great.

6. Cyclone3616

Cyclone3616Member

Threads:
    The worst purchase I ever made at a dollar store was one of those things that go in your pool that shoots water. To put water in it, you have to put it in the water and pump the thing. The first time I tried that the pump just came off. I also got another one. It was cracked when I got home and wouldn't hold water. Maybe we should have actually gone to a pool store.

7. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    Basically ANY toy that I got when I was a kid. I swear, all of them either ended up not working right or breaking before you know it. Kids need to stick with Toys R Us, that's the moral of the story! I like dollar stores for the basics though, like deodorant and pens and such.

8. annagoryun

annagoryunMember

Threads:
    Headphones. One time I could only spend very little on those guys. I used them for about an hour when they started static-shocking me in the ears. It was the most painful 2 dollars I have ever spent.

9. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The worst item I have bought from the pound shop (the equivalent of the dollar store) was some Aquascutum cuff links. The cuff links were fake (obviously). I made a complaint and they replied with what do you expect for one pound or words to that effect.

10. dmm2702

dmm2702New Member

Threads:
    The worst items I have bought have been toys. My kids always want to get a toy and it always breaks the same day they get it. I always tell them it will break but they don't listen and I end up wasting money on toys that are junk.

I also don't like any of the pencils or pens. The pencils don't sharpen easily and break all the time and the pens run out of ink right away.

11. Mommyjoyce

MommyjoyceNew Member

Threads:
    My 70 year-old Mom is the regular patron of dollar stores. She has this idea that anything bought there spells a good bargain. She had brought home foul testing chocolates which tasted like expired and some stuff that didn't function well like some lighters and toys. Told her many times to skip buying so much from there, especially as she has poor eyesight, but she loves shopping after her pension has come in. Stubborn patron. ^_^ Period.

12. dkramarczyk

dkramarczykMember

Threads:
    The worst thing I bought from a dollar store was a camera. Granted, it was a $20 camera, but I wasn't expecting a Nikon out of it or anything. The picture quality was pretty fuzzy, but I expected that. What I did not expect was that after only a couple days, the camera would not turn on unless it was plugged into the computer. The cable that they sold with the camera was so short, you could barely use the camera when it was plugged in. It caused me to miss saving a lot of family moments.

13. BrianDouglas

BrianDouglasNew Member

Threads:
    I bought a ceramic mug once from Dollar General, and upon putting coffee in it, it pretty much shattered. It wasn't very dramatic, just cracks and leaks, and I didn't even get a refund lol.

14. HDHarper

HDHarperNew Member

Threads:
    I go to the dollar store a lot. However I will never buy cleaning products there. The dish liquid, bleach and the laundry soap are fine, but anything that says "Awesome" on the label, absolutely isn't. Their batteries are fine but I never buy any other their "electronics". Also, their off-label frozen foods aren't worth the buck. They have some regular brand names that are just fine.

15. teamrose

teamroseMember

Threads:
    I must say reading glasses. I bought some dollar store reading glasses, and not only did they make me dizzy, the glasses literally fell apart after 24 hours. Back to my reliable Foster Grants.

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I guess I haven't purchased many things from the dollar store that I have been disappointed in because I can't think of anything. You get what you pay for, after all, and if I spend $1 on something I expect it to be an experimental purchase. I once bought a little speaker/amplifier just to try it out not expecting much. Not only did it work out, I went back for more.

17. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I would say it was more annoying but it would have to be a keyring that set off and alarm when you whistled so you could find your keys. Sounds good in theory right? Only the blasted things went off when you coughed, sighed, spoke and when the TV was on. I ended up throwing into the bin and the thing was still beeping away! :D

18. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've bought so many terrible things at dollar stores that it's difficult to pinpoint which was the worst, haha! The thing is, it's not so much that they were terrible as that they were cheap and defective. Like, a spatula whose rubber peels off too easily or something like that.

19. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    Most of my dollar store purchases have been ok. I don't expect much so I'm rarely disappointed. The one that did bug me was a pack of crayons I grabbed just before my toddler son and I were to leave for a five hour flight. They were impossible to color with, only leaving a few waxy streaks here and there unless you pushed down really hard. There were also hard bits of something embedded inside the wax that ripped up the paper if you were pressing hard enough to leave some color.

20. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My worst buy there i have to say was some chips that looked like dorritos. I didn't want to go to walmart and stand in line all day long and i happened to see a bag of what i thought would be like Dorritos well i was wrong i got two bags of them thinking it'll be the same thing i also get generic stuff and it usually taste the same but cheaper so i didn't think nothing of it. But boy was i wrong when i got home my husband asked me where his Dorritos were i gave him the ones from the dollar store and he started complaining that they were nasty i thought he was just being a brat ha ha so i tried one for myself and oh my was he right they were stale hard to swallow and didn't taste anything like the Dorritos they were horrible so i learned my lesson if i haven't tried it and it's from the dollar store i'll stick to what i know.