Worst item you've bought from the dollar store

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by dissn_it • Apr 15, 2012.

1. BigBigFan

BigBigFanMember

Threads:
    I bought some bendy straws one because they had an "on sale" sticker price of 99 cents for a 100 pack instead of the usual 2.49, I needed them anyway. When I eventually used one I stuck it in my drink and bent the end as usual and... couldn't drink. The cheap straws cracked at the bend every single time you bent one and all you could get was a lot of air.

You really get what you pay for at the dollar store sometimes, other times it's awesome.

2. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    One time I called myself saving money (being cheap) by buying the dollar store's brand of shampoo. Needless to say, my scalp was insanely itchy from using it. Lesson learned that's for sure.

3. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Although I have found that the CDs and DVDs they sometimes sell in my local PoundLand to be rather good at times, I've picked up some decent wrestling before.

4. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    Where do I begin, I have bought so many crap things from the dollar store? From bland food items to blunt razors to dead batteries to horrible hair conditioners, I have bought them all. You know what's funny; even after getting ripped off so many times we can't help but buy from there. I guess that's how dollar stores make money :)

5. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    One of the worst things I bought at a dollar store in my area were towels. I thought they were a great buy but they turned out to be anything but, they weren't absorbent at all, and in the end we ended up using them as rags. I also have found that I need to be careful about the type of aluminum foil or trash bags that I buy from dollar stores. Especially trash bags, some brands can be very thin, which means they won't hold trash at all. It got to the point where I decided that buy trash bags from a dollar store probably wasn't a good idea unless you happen to come across a brand name which doesn't happen too often.

6. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't shop very often at Poundland (the UK equivalent) because most of the items they sell do not interest me. My worst buy would probably be a scented candle. It was supposed to smell of berries but the smell was more akin to urine.

7. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    You pay for what you get. That is the bottom line. But with that being said, my worst ever purchase at the dollar store was deodorant. It looked the same as the name brand product. And it even had a fresh nice fragrance to it. So when I put it on I did not even think about it. But then about 20 minutes later my armpits started burning. I went to the bathroom to look and my skin was breaking out and beat red. I tried wiping it off but it was to late. My skin had almost a burn like quality to it. It lasted for about two days before the rash or burn started to go away.

And I will never buy food at a dollar store. It just makes me sick to think how long that food has been sitting there. And how it got processsed or packaged.

8. Waektra

WaektraNew Member

Threads:
    ohh..she is the poor child.. Y_Y

9. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I bought a watch at Dollar Tree. I wasn't expecting much at all and I just needed something for the weekend. I normally don't wear a watch so this was going to be a temporary need.

There were two watches in the package for a dollar. :)

Well, I didn't try one on until I was further down the road at a different stop. Neither watch worked, the batteries were fine but the display was just horrible. The electronics were misaligned with the housing and the band wouldn't keep it safely wrapped around my wrist! They were absolute total junk. They weren't even worth a dollar.

Oh well, lesson learned. They looked a lot more promising inside the package, though. I couldn't use them AT ALL.

10. nav0413

nav0413Member

Threads:
    my very worst experience was i bought i kilo of fish when i go home and start clean and prepare i notice the fish it smells bad i am so very angry to the vendor.

11. kristinaw

kristinawNew Member

Threads:
    Food. Never buy food from the dollar store. It's horrible. I usually only buy candy there for Halloween.

12. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    The absolute worst thing I've bought at a dollar store was a case of bottled water. It was from Canada and it had me in the bathroom with stomach cramps and diarrhea within 30 minutes! I didn't even get through half the bottle (these were larger 20oz. bottles). Needless to say, I poured them all down the drain, and never bought bottled water from anywhere after that. I filter and bottle my own, now.

It wasn't worth the trip to go back and get a refund. I just treated it as a learned lesson. If I buy food at the dollar store, it's always the non-perishable type.

13. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have actually had pretty good luck with things I have purchased from a dollar store. I got some cookies once that weren't very tasty, but I am pretty sure I have had ones from the grocery that tasted about as bad. The worst experience was buying a lightweight bedspread. It shredded all along one side. I returned it, and they gave me an exchange. In less than a month, that one was shredding out also, so I think they were just made with bad material.

14. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    Dollar Store socks. I was in a bind and needed some dress socks so I stopped and picked some up. The elastic didn't even hold up for the entire day. Thankfully, nobody noticed, but it was really uncomfortable. I felt like blood was pooling in my ankles.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think if you bought raw fish at a dollar store, you should have expected there to be some problems.
    I've seen bacon at a dollar store, but I would never buy any kind of meat at a dollar store.

16. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I can relate to that! This reminds me of a pack of "athletic" socks that I bought. When I tried to put them on the heel of the socks would rip open! Now, these were the correct size, and I certainly know how to put on a pair of socks. LOL

They were so poorly designed that I was only able to use half of the pack of six pairs, and they didn't last long at all. I didn't return them. I figured it should be a lesson learned.

17. APluckeyduck

APluckeyduckMember

Threads:
    I agree, purchasing toys from the dollar store was a serious waste of energy. I purchased a bubble gun for my son, which came with bubbles. The bubbles barely had enough energy to do anything but spill out of the gun when he pulled the trigger and the trigger got stuck and the gun fell apart. I tried to salvage the day by reusing an old wand from an empty bottle of bubbles, but the bubbles again never showed up for the event. I just ended up cleaning all of the soap from the floor.Big disappointment.

18. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I will have to say what some already said, my worst buys were razors and nail polish remover and nail polish. I really have never had too many bad purchases other than these. The nail polish got the majority of the nail polish off, but left my toe nails tinted red and not matter how hard I scrubbed it would not come off. A girlfriend took me to get my nails done a week later and the nail polish remover they had got it off. The nail polish from the dollar store is good for about the first 5 times. Then it doesn't want to dry and gets all thick and icky. The razors were the worst. I have sensitive legs anyway, but dear God. I was in so much pain! There was so much razor burn, and I used shaving cream and lotion after! It was terrible for days. I was on a trip though and forgot my good razor. A mistake I'll never make again.

19. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really buy stuff from the dollar store so I can't think of much. The worst I can think of was Razzles. They were like this knock-off of Sweet Tarts which I love so I thought I'd like them. They were so nasty. I should have known by the name. I mean a Razzie is an award for bad movies so that's pretty similar.

20. Spowys

SpowysMember

Threads:
    One time I decided to buy some cheese dip because I was getting chips too. They were out of salsa so I figured why not? Bad idea. I got so sick eating that cheese dip, and I blame the Dollar General.