Worst Movie Theater Food?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Nick2011 • Mar 22, 2013.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually buy the movie theater sized boxes of candy at Walmart for under a dollar and then buy soda at the movie theater.
    When I was younger and really broke, I would sometimes bring a bottle of iced tea or Kool Aid that I made at home.

2. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I did use to order popcorn sometimes when I went to the movies, but I've completely stopped. The odd time it would be a little cold or bland but nothing inedible. I did get nachos once and they were pretty mediocre, specially considering the price. Now days I just order a herbal tea or black coffee depending on the time of day. I only order this in a Cineplex, as most have a certain chain there now. I don't remember the name though.

3. melovesengland

melovesenglandMember

Threads:
    We don't buy food in the pictures. We always go to restaurants to eat our dinner after the movie. Its way to expensive that's why.

4. delco

delcoMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't ever get a hotdog from a movie theater. Popcorn, sometimes, candy, sure. Anything cooked I wouldn't trust.

5. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    You can't get popcorn at the restaurant though! I think movie theaters should lower their prices though. Especially considering tickets are expensive already. And also, the price of a 3D movie is like $16.

6. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Prices for popcorn are ridiculous considering it is made with corn, cheap industrial and sugar, all very cheap ingredients.

You can buy a kilo of whole corn kernels for next to nothing and a kilo of kernels will make popcorn for a month!

7. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I don't make stove popcorn. I haven't for years since I've found microwave popcorn. I don't know anyone who "stoves it" anymore. That's old school though and brings back childhood memories.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go to the movies to look at the movie not eat. I will get popcorn and that is about it. The food most people get like nachos and hot dogs are gross to me. I will also pick up a box of candy, that is about it for me.

9. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    This is exactely what I do as well. When I get done paying for three movie tickets (myself and two kids) I am at my financial limit. My kids and I do not get to go to the movies very often due to our financial situation. So there is no way we can afford the price of popcorn and candy. If we were to each get a popcorn and drink it would amount to more then the actual ticket prices. So we go to the grocery store and each pick out a candy and a pop and we do sneak it in. And the last time we actually did by the movie theater popcorn it was so salty and stale. So never again will we do that.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well anything that can smell in the movie house is considered worst in my book. I don't go to the theater anymore, but I remember years ago while I was watching a movie, there was someone who bought fast food in the movie house and the smell wafted through the air. So I think that any type of food that tends to distract people like crunchy food or freshly cooked food is worst in my book.

11. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

There are movie theaters in certain districts offering gourmet food now though. Like sushi and stuff made right at your seat. But you'll find these places in Beverly Hills, The Hamptons, etc. I doubt they'll ever show up in Middle Class neighborhoods.

12. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to make microwave popcorn with my brother, the toffee popcorn in a bag.

Stove popcorn is very easy to make, all you need is butter or oil and a pot with a lid. I like watching the corn explode into a mountain of popcorn.

13. nav0413

nav0413Member

Threads:
    food in cinema is to overpriced, much better to bring your own food.

14. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I went to see Evil Dead on Friday and I ended up getting food for the first time in long time. I got a regular shiver from TCBY for just under $5 dollars (my scene card gets a small discount.) It is pricey but certainly not near the level of some of the other items. I added skor and reese's pieces. It was really good. Certainly only a once in a while sort of treat for me, but it didn't cost the amount of the ticket so it wasn't too bad.

15. kristinaw

kristinawNew Member

Threads:
    I usually try not to buy food at the theater, but when I do, I stay AWAY from nachos - they look nasty!

16. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    They don't just look they are! I've found the best nachos come from genuine Tex Mex restaurants or places like Chili's or Applebees. Movie Theater Nachos are cheaply made and really can be made at home. Just need Velveeta and chips and some peppers and you're in business.

17. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would never buy the cheese nachos sold at the cinema, they look nasty and I'm sure the nachos I kept for days.

I don't think I would buy any hot food from the cinema because its overpriced and it looks horrible.

18. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Here's a question. Do movie theaters sell coffee or hot chocolate? I've never noticed if they do or not. Just curious though.

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    In my experience there was never really ever any specific bad type of food, just that it was prepared and preserved very poorly. I've often ordered some popcorn to take inside only to find out that the popcorn was very stale once I take the first few bites. I also have had experience with very stale nachos and it's really tempted me to just order fast food before going to the theater.

20. Far_Mur_Jo

Far_Mur_JoNew Member

Threads:
    Popcorn. Definitely!
    I hate them! Not only are they overpriced, they taste like styrofoam. There's nothing classy in a garbage bin full of popcorn, doused in fake butter, that tastes like machine oil. Not only that, they're viscously oversalted most of the time.
    Coke is bad too, way too diluted most off the time.