Worst Movie Theater Food?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Nick2011 • Mar 22, 2013.

1. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I think the theaters are trying to prevent being sued though. There was an exposay on movie theater popcorn butter some years back. Explaining what it was really made of. And none of those ingredients were real butter. But if they use a brand of butter, it would cost them a fortune. Country crock butter to buy in bulk, would be very expensive. They couldn't get it from the supermarket, because that would affect their supply for other customers. And if they wanted it straight from the producer, it'd be very expensive. So they resort to making a false buttery substance out of cheap materials.

The popcorn is real. But stale mostly because it isn't kept properly heated. You'd honestly get better popcorn from street vendors or at the circus. Some theaters downtown though, they use microwave popcorn. Like pop secret or Orville's. It saves them time and money because they can just throw it into the microwave, it pops, and they hand it to you and you move on.

2. effy

effyNew Member

Threads:
    I invested in some cheesy nachos once. Oh my goodness, they were disgusting. The cheese was very processed and a bit spicy, while the tortillas were very salty. You could taste the calories and high fat content.

3. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

That's what you get with non chef quality food. Nacho's are easy to prepare but they have to be made by someone who knows what they're doing. The theater gives you the cheap stuff. Movie theaters aren't really good for prepping anything other than popcorn. Because it's simple to make. Everything else should come already made like box candy.

4. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever buy the theater food. It is ridiculous how much they charge for everything. When I take my two kids we have ended up spending more on a few snacks then the tickets themselves. But when we did buy snacks we never had any problems with the boxed candy. The rasinettes and goobers were always my favorite. it is funny you said you never got a slushie. The frozen coke is so good, I love it. You are wise to stay away from the nachos. At our local theater the last time we bought nachos it was horrible. The nachos tasted like someone spilled salt in them. And the cheese looked watered down. One time they had hot pretzels and I was excited they loked good. So when I got one I was disappointed because it was so stale. And they did not even have mustard there to go with it. So from now on we sneak in our own stuff.

5. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Everything to eat is usually awful, expensive or both, so i only buy something to drink so i don't feel so bad for bringing the usual bag of candy inside.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Glad I'm not the only one who tends to sneak my own food and drinks in...the prices are just insane! 5 bucks for a small box of candy? And just as much for small, cold popcorn? No thanks.

7. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Candy is expensive everywhere though. You could get a box of movie theater candy at your local CVS, Rite Aid, or Duane Reade. But even with the savings tag, you'd only be saving about a buck in total on a non-theater purchase of a box of candy.

8. cmilliken

cmillikenMember

Threads:
    The worst movie theater food is also the best movie theater food. I am not saying this based on taste. Popcorn is the worst movie theater food. You purchase that, which is purposefully loaded with salt, and then get very thirsty. This scam gets you to then buy drinks.

9. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Well if you're eating popcorn it's only natural you're gonna want something to drink with it. I think soft drinks and popcorn should be purchased together. Anything else is extra.

10. sking61

sking61Member

Threads:
    I have to say there nacho cheese. I don't like nacho cheese store made just because of the movie nacho cheese I ate. It turned me off completely.

11. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I am not sure movie theater nacho cheese even contains cheese! Real or processed! I think it has some cheese flavor added to some sort of greasy, orange liquid. Not sure. But yeah, good nachos are usually found in restaurants. Not movie theaters.

12. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    I also think that the nachos are very disgusting as well. I don't go to the movies often but when I do, I just get a bucket of popcorn and soda.
    I'm too scared to try anything else.

13. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    LOL! Are you afraid of the boxed candy as well? That stuff is harmless only because it is shipped or delivered to the movie theater by the same distributors who send it around to CVS, Duane Reade, Rite Aid, etc. But the one thing I'd recommend you should try one day ozdin if your local multiplex has them. The raisins covered in white chocolate yogurt! They're like raisinets? Only instead of brown chocolate, it's white chocolate/yogurt.

14. ReishiSpore

ReishiSporeMember

Threads:
    I really think everything is overpriced in cinemas. Particularly the candy/sweets are such a rip off! - you can even buy the multi bags but they are like one and a half times the price of regular ones (that I can buy from a shop a few minutes from the cinema). It's silly really, most people just bring in their own food, but you aren't supposed to. I think the worst cinema food is the infamous popcorn. It tastes okay but it's really unhealthy. The salted one has far too much salt that I get a dry irritated throat by the end of the film, and the sweet popcorn is just too sweet! I usually would just bring my own food in like most people do.

15. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    At my cinema we don't even get salt on our popcorn. Just butter. I guess reading your experiences, that might be a good thing.

16. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    Mk I don't know what your talking about the nachos are absolutely delicious! I really don't have a problem with theater food I even like the pizza! The only problem I have is with the prices! Biggest rip off EVER!!

17. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll usually stick to Diet Coke and popcorn, so I don't have many complaints about movie theater food... however I really disliked a hot dog I ate once at a movie theater. I was really hungry and knew the popcorn wouldn't cut it, so I decided to try the hot dog. The bread was hard and it just didn't taste good. I have stuck with popcorn ever since.

18. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid candy when I go to a theater. I don't really like to snack on candy to begin with, and you can get the same candy for a dollar at a dollar store beforehand. I like to get "food" food when I go to a movie. There is this awesome theater near me with tons of real food. I always get pretzel bites with nacho cheese. I think it's about $6 or so, which isn't bad for the amount that you get, and plus it's hot food!

19. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always hope to eat dinner close to the time in going to the theater because I know their stuff is overpriced. We just get popcorn and a drink. I'm not much into popcorn but there's just something about movie theater popcorn and you of course have to have something to drink with it which would be difficult to sneak in. Most of the time I do try to bring my own candy. However, one time I hadn't ate dinner. I was eerie of the pizza even though I love pizza so I thought I'd try the corn dog nuggets. It was such a small portion and it made me feel so sick.

20. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No offense, but what do you expect? A hot dog is a hot dog, there is not really much you can do to gussy up what is traditionally a product made from cheap meat scraps, preservatives, and fillers, all heavily processed and formed into links. Processed cheese dip is processed cheese dip - it's no different than what you buy in a jar or a spray can at the grocery store, they just get theirs in bulk containers. They both look neon orange and have the texture of silicone. Do you honestly think they are back in some kitchen whipping up bechamel sauces and hand grating smoked gouda, muenster and aged cheddar? The GMO popcorn is coated in a heavily hydrogenated soybean oil loaded with fake butter flavorings, tons of salt, and yellow food color. There is nothing healthy or fresh about any of that stuff, and there never was. If I had to choose something to eat at one of those places, I would probably just stick with a warm pretzel and some mustard.