Worst Video Games You've Paid For

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by joshc428 • Sep 8, 2015.

1. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    When I was in 7th grade and started amassing an allowance, I decided that the best thing I would spend hard earned money on would be Sonic and the Black Knight for the Wii for $50. I was extremely excited. $50 markings were usually reserved for the best Wii games at the time. Not in this case. The story was forgettable, the gameplay was WAY too easy, and I beat the game in a little over 2 hours. On the day I got it, I played obsessively...only to defeat the final boss in a few hours. Needless to say, I was upset that I wasted all my money on this purchase. This event made me start being more money-conscious, looking up reviews and balancing prices before heading into hasty decisions. I later saw the game in a discount bin at Big Lots for $15. Have you ever felt ripped off by a video game? Which one?

2. AutumnFall

AutumnFallMember

Threads:
    Yes, Saints Row: The Third. That game was absolute crap. I could not believe they decided to do a pick and choose your adventure type of storyline with this game. I hated how the real story involved killing off certain characters and how incredibly weak the plot was. When I had finally beat the game, I felt it was still incomplete. It baffles me how this came after the awesome Saints Row 2. I'm glad I brought this used on eBay because I would have been even livid if I got this game when it first came out.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The worst game hands down had to be the Home Alone game for Super Nintendo. Nevermind movies aren't usually good as video games but this had to be the most dreadful game of my life. The graphics were primitive and there was such a thing as decent graphics for this old system (see Donkey Kong). The gameplay was so lame. I don't even remember all of it. It was just so awful that I must have repressed it. The only thing I can recall is the suitcases jumping at you.
    The second worst was Sim Farm. I never liked farming games (so for that reason it's not the worst..maybe it would have been better had I liked farming games) but I've played ones that captivated my attention for a few minutes at least. This one I wanted to turn off as soon as I started.

4. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Probably one of the 3D Sonic games. I got into a Sonic kick in my very early twenties, for some reason, and bought several of the Sonic games in a row. By then they were typically in bargain bins, and I didn't realize they'd wound up there for a reason. I woke up after buying Shadow the Hedgehog and realizing that Sonic games shouldn't have guns.

Thanks largely to online reviews I've managed to dodge some major bullets since then. I'd considered buying Aliens: Colonial Marines, Star Trek, and The Walking Dead, all of which came out in a fairly small time frame, and in each case I waited just long enough for reviews to come out. All three got shredded, aid I saved a bunch of money. The Internet is nice in that sense.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Hah, that happened to me when I bought Golden Axe for the Sega Genesis back in the day. I got home and beat the game in like an hour. I was so pissed I made my mom drive me back to the toy store to return it, lol. They tried to give me the run around saying that they wouldn't allow returns on video games, but eventually caved in since it had literally been less than two hours since I bought it.

Another big letdown was Strider for Genesis. It was a big deal when it came out since it was the first 8mb cartridge and it sounded like it was a huge game. Imagine everyone's surprise when they found out you could literally beat the entire game in like 10 minutes, lol.

As for other big let downs, pretty much every single game for the Sega CD and 32X as well as the Sega Saturn (I gave up on Sega after all that). The only Sega CD game I actually liked (and loved!) was Robo Aleste.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    A few years back I got the video game adaptation of Afro samurai and I thought it was going to be a blast since the cartoon had so much action. After trying it out for five minutes I quickly realized how generic it was and I couldn't even bring myself to continue it because I felt like I would just be forcing myself to do it if ever I did which isn't really that much fun at all. Luckily I didn't have to pay too much for it since I only got it at a bargain bin but that's still money wasted on my part because my have friends didn't even want it and I was giving it to them for free.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This was years upon years ago now, but the worst video game that I have ever played would have to be WWE Crush Hour. Now, I used to be a massive fan of WWE Smackdown vs Raw games, and so I just saw the title and was instantly sold. But the game absolutely sucked. I think I gave it away for free.

8. Harlek

HarlekMember

Threads:
    It's not really a video game but a console. I regret ever buying a Wii-U. First of all, the system is okay I mean it's not phenomenal but it's okay for what it is, the only problem though is that it doesn't have any games on it. Most of the games are just the usual flurry of Mario and Zelda games which are the only good ones and the rest are just a bland barrage of games that you wouldn't even want to pick up in the first place.

9. karamara

karamaraMember

Threads:
    I thought Saints Row: The Third was a great game. I mean sure it's way too wacky compared to Saints Row 1 and 2 but I liked the game in terms of how it presents itself. The game plays nice although a bit repetitive but its very entertaining and really separates itself from the usual bunch. The only thing I hate about that game is the way Johnny Gat died.

10. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I would second this if I'd paid for my Wii U, but my parents bought it for me for Christmas, so I suppose I can't complain too much. Still, it was one of the few purchases where I would've preferred something practical for my apartment rather than a system that sits and collects dust nine-tenths of the time.

When it's fun, the Wii U is really fun. But the gaps between those awesome games are just too large.

11. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    The worst game that I can recall is Kinetic Void. IT is a space-sim game, and was suckered into it. Customization, yeah! Space Yeah! Lo and behold, the later patches sucked the fun out of it. The customization was to elaborate and the learning curve went steep. The space faring was not as good to. I have it uninstalled. Thank goodness it was only 10 dollars when I bought it. Should have waited for Elite Dangerous, and the soon to be released, No Man's Sky.

12. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    I did look up the reviews and must say, it didn't do very well. It's really important to check reviews and other websites to see the prices they are being put for. Really good that you learned that lesson early on.