Worth Buying An E-reader?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by reubhole1 • Feb 26, 2015.

1. reubhole1

reubhole1Member

Threads:
    Thinking about buying an e-reader.
    I've heard a lot of good things about them, but I do still like the idea of holding something while I'm reading it and turning the pages. I do read a lot, so I think it would be financially a better decision. What are your recommendations?
    Anyone out there happy with their reader? Any brand suggestions?

2. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I had some similar concerns before I ended buying my Kindle. But after getting used to holding the Kindle, and after reading a few books, I have come to love it. I used to be an avid reader, but the hassle of collecting and keeping books put me off for a while. Now that I can fit thousands of books on one device is a Godsend. I absolutely recommend it. I went with the Kindle Paper White, with wifi connection. I have no regrets.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My husband has a Barnes and Noble Nook and he just loves it. He only uses it for reading though, I know that some like using their e-reader for doing other things if possible but we have a tablet and computer for those things. The screen does not have any glare so it works well out of doors too.

4. Beautyspin

BeautyspinMember

Threads:
    I have a 7 inches Samsung tablet. I use it. It has a 64 GB SD card. It can also have various reading software including Kindle reader. Since I do not want to be restricted to any one brands I have chosen this route. I sometimes read the books on my PC while I am working so it helps to use the apps rather than the reader.

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I bought a kindle (b&w) when it was drastically cut down from original price. I spent about $50 on it. I've saved so much money on reading it's quite ridiculous. Do I still buy physical solid books? Yes. Though not as often as I did before getting this guy.

6. reubhole1

reubhole1Member

Threads:
    OK, thanks for the replies, I'm going to look into getting one, A kindle sounds like the go!
    I heard that since they do not have any backlight that they're better for your eyes than staring at a computer screen or tablet.
    I'm quite an avid reader now, but it always pains me if I'm one or two days without something to read when finishing a book. Hopefully it'll never have to happen again!

7. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Sure go for it. It's the next best thing to reading off of actual paper and much better than reading off of a laptop or an iPad (the backlight is too bright even on the lowest setting). The Kindle is good will most likely be your first and best choice. Just remember to check the backlight, I can't emphasize that enough. I like reading in barely-lit rooms or at night in my office and reading something with a bright white background will strain your eyes more than reading with low light.

Also this just occurred to me: check if you can change the background to dark gray/black and the text to green/dark green. I do this on my epubs and my pdfs but I use the Calibre reader software on my laptop.

8. reubhole1

reubhole1Member

Threads:
    Thanks

, I'm sold! I think I'll go for the kindle, checking on amazon now. I'm usually an in bed reader, so dim light is also my natural reading habitat. Colour change is a good idea, probably less strain on your eyes than a white screen.
    It's weird I can't find any results for Kindle on Amazon, only for Kindle cover and accessories. Am I searching wrong or something?

9. TommyVercetti

Threads:
    No problem. I've been through the process of searching for an e-reader as well and it's always good to pass on the the advice you've received from others.

As for the Kindle, here you go:

They have a dedicated page for the kindle because it's their own product after all, and it would just be weird if they lumped that in with the other products that they are selling as a platform.

10. reubhole1

reubhole1Member

Threads:
    Great! thanks for the link. I didn't know it was Amazons own product! I'm on the site now, see one for $59, that's gonna be the one I think. I can't wait for my endless book supply! Any suggestions on where to download e-books? Also are there any free e-book websites, or are they all paid?

11. TommyVercetti

Threads:
    You can download e-books off of amazon as well, or you can try sites like ebooks.com.

As for the free ones, here's a master list:

Happy reading and pace yourself! Don't download them all at once!

12. reubhole1

reubhole1Member

Threads:
    Haha, thanks mate, looks like quite a few free books to be had! Will take a more in depth look when the kindle arrives, should be in the next couple of days. I'll try to update here if I find any other free resources that are e-readable.
    Once again thanks for the tips, and happy reading!

13. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    A normal book is always much better than using a e-reader. But if you are already travelling and have a very busy schedule then it is one of the best thing to own. Reading whenever you like and where every you are can be obtained by using e-reader

14. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm also for real book reading but sometimes the bulk of my bag doesn't allow me to bring my favorite reading materials. So if I have extra funds, I will consider buying an ebook reader though I want one that can also run simple word games like scrabble or crossword. :D

15. Avocadogirl

AvocadogirlNew Member

Threads:
    I had a kindle paper for four years. It's probably fairly cheap now. I abused that kindle very badly, but somehow it lasted four years and then just decided to never turn on again. I think that if you read enough, you could save a significant amount from reading e-books. Classic books are free too, so you might want to take advantage of it. I liked my kindle, but I probably won't get another.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that if you already have a tablet, then it's not really worth it since the tablet can do the job anyway. But if you don't have a tablet or e-reader, then you just weigh which gadget would be of more value for your money depending on how often you will use it. As for me, I would buy a tablet rather than an e-reader.

17. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I have a basic Kindle e-reader but traded in for gift card as now I can get the Kindle on my laptop, and my cell phone. I don't need to carry an extra device around, and I love it with all the free e-books that I am getting on the app. I fight the idea at first since I love the feel of books in my hands, but now the Kindle is my favorite way to have on me.

18. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I am very happy with my kindle. Prior to getting it, I calculated how much I would save by buying digital books vs physical books. Since many books I buy are new release hardcovers, the savings was significant. Then I started buying digital books and reading them on the computer. The amount I saved, I used to buy an amazon gift card. When my gift card balance reached the price of a kindle, I bought it.

Another thing you can try if you're not sure is buying a used e-reader to see how you like it. Looking in my local craigslist, you can buy a slightly older generation kindle or nook for around $30. Much cheaper than a new one so there's less to lose if you don't like it. AND as long as you don't damage it, you can probably resell it for that same amount when you replace it with a newer model or go back to real books.

19. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love mine. It won't replace a real book, but I use it for the books that I don't really care THAT much about. For my favorite books, I book physical, everything else I get as an e-book. Especially great is the fact that some of the more niche books can cost upward to $100, but will usually run you only around $10-20 on Kindle market.

20. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    The first Kindle I bought was one of the best material things I ever got in my life. Might seem overly dramatic, but it got me back into being an avid reader as I was when I was younger and it was something I used every day. It's also great to have your library in one place and back-up on amazon if anything happens to your kindle.

Upgraded to a Kindle Fire a little while ago and have had no problems with it as a reader or a tablet. If you like to read, its worth the investment for sure.