Worthy to buy PS3 in 2012?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by ljepilo • May 15, 2012.

1. ljepilo

ljepiloActive Member

Threads:
    So yes I'm planning to get ps3 into my home.I know it might be a little late since I've seen and heard all those stories about new ps4 which is going to be released in fall of 2013.So I wanna ask you guys is it really worthy to buy PS3 in Q2 2012? Am I too late? I'm afraid that I just might waste my money ,should I just wait for the new PlayStation console to come out ??? :confused:

2. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    We have had our PS3 since right after they went on the market and it's seriously used daily...not just for video game playing. We watch Hulu, Netflix, etc. on there too. It's our DVD player now as well. I say go for it. I just got my son one for his own room last August and he uses his daily too - and it's a great bribery tool for making him clean his room. Being grounded from it apparently is quite unpleasant!

I bet once the PS4 comes out though the prices will drop dramatically on the PS3....their price has been firm on it since it came out!

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on just how much you are willing to pay for a console. You have to remember that it is going to cost quite a bit of money upon release. Sony can't seem to build a console for a reasonable price. At least they haven't been able to build one yet. You will also have a much larger selection of games with the PS3. I don't know if it has been revealed yet how backwards compatible the PS4 will be.

Will it still play PS1 and PS3 games? PS3 seems to be a sure bet, but you never know.

I'd buy it for the space and the current enjoyment. The PS4 may have various sizes and you can get the smaller one and only keep the PS4 games on that one and keep your PS3 games on the PS3.

4. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    If you can afford putting off getting a PS4 for a while, then yeah it might be worth it. The PS3 has built up quite a game roster and many games have gone through the market, which means used games, which means savings. I have loads of games that I have yet to play on the PS3, and I don't think the prospect of a future console incoming will deter any developers from releasing more games for the PS3 in the few months it has left. My verdict: get it, if you really enjoy gaming. I also think that many shops will be doing some "trade in your PS3+Games for a new PS4 console" promo or at least something along those lines, that is if you ever decide you want to get rid of your PS3.

5. GGGuardian

GGGuardianMember

Threads:
    I would say it's worth it I use my ps3 all the time and I never get tired of it. The game system is really good only problem is just the online game play sort of sucks.

6. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I had a PS3 and I sold it recently, but I'm thinking about getting another one. The games are great and the Blu-ray player rocks. You would need an HDTV for the full experience because a normal TV just won't cut it. You should buy it so you can see what everyone is talking about. There's so much you can do with a PS3 from movies, games, Internet, and online gaming. It's the best system hands down.

7. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    I would do it. The PS3 is more than just a game console, it's a home entertainment center. I doubt that the PS4 is coming out anytime soon despite what everyone thinks.

8. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:

Sony can't build a console at a reasonable price? Are you joking?

Their prices were always reasonable. When the PS3 came out it was $600 dollars. The average blu ray player at the time of it's release for example was well over $1000. So you were paying $300 for a game system and $300 for a blu ray player. And that's not even mentioning all the other things it can do.

The prices on their tech were ALWAYS reasonable because their products ALWAYS did/do more than just the expected functions and things.

9. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    Buy it.

There is still a lot of time in between now and Fall 2013. Plus, most people tend to wait a few months after release so that the price can go down. I do not expect many people to buy the PS4 until December 25, 2013. This is when you will see many kids get them as presents.

In fact, I would be surprised if the release date is closer to Winter 2013 than Fall 2013.

10. hawynstud

hawynstudNew Member

Threads:
    I think you should go ahead and buy it. You still have over a year until the PS4 comes out, so do you really want to wait that long? I usually wait for a while after new consoles are released to let them get the bugs out of the systems. Plus, electronics usually get cheaper during the holidays so that is a good time to buy.

11. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    Our PS3 gets used everyday. It was a very good investment. They are cheaper than the PS4 will be too from what I hear. You can also find them used at places like Gamestop and comes with a warranty too. That is the route that I would go. You know that you are getting something that is good and saving money as well.

12. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Considering there is very little difference likely to be between the PS4 and PS3 it might behoove you to pick up the 3 and then wait until either the PS4 drops in price some years from now or to see how the eventual 5 looks. Seriously while the people who grab the 4th are waiting for a library you can be playing through the old one even as new games are being added. I mean it's not like they don't phase out the old system.

13. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    No. I never got any of the other consoles, besides I'm trying to save up money for a townhome.

14. AliDee

AliDeeMember

Threads:
    Depends on the person. I heard news that PS4 was coming out in 6 months so if you really want a PS3, wait a little and check out eBay. So many people will be getting rid of them to buy new consoles.

15. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I must admit that I haven't played video games since I was 14 and I myself wouldn't bother with a video game console. But my advice is to purchase the PS3 now because the price is reasonably low. When I walk by the mall, I usually see it selling for $149, which is definitely a good bargain. Once the PS4 is released, it'll most likely go down even more. If you're in the market for a PS4, wait until a couple of quarters before the PS5 comes out and so on. Hope this helps!

16. Gamrpro

GamrproMember

Threads:
    I was thinking of buying a PS3 also this year too. I don't think it's a very good idea since the PS4 is coming soon. But, if you don't care about materialistic things then go for it. To me the price is very reasonable where it is right now though! :)

17. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    If you are still wondering about whether you should get a PS3, tune into what Sony will do at this year's E3 conference. They'll give a pretty good layout of what their immediate plans are as as games and apps are concerned. If you can wait on what they have laid out, then wait, but if not, go ahead and buy it. It's not like you wouldn't be able to sell it.

18. Ja'cobeC

Ja'cobeCMember

Threads:
    Its worth it dude. I still play my PS2 more than my PS3 somethings. There will always be game that will never get old and will always be fun to play. I think you should get the PS3, if not than get a Wii.

19. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    It's definitely not too late. Sure, there's talk about the PS4, but we won't really be seeing it yet. There are still hundreds of games coming out for the PS3, so it's a nice buy.

20. graven29

graven29New Member

Threads:
    The PS3 is fantastic. It is way more than a game playing machine. I watch all my movies on it, not just Netflix and Hulu, but my digital movies as well as Blue Ray DVDs. Yes PS4 will be coming out next year, but there is always a period of time when both consoles get games developed for them. I would definitely buy the PS3 now. It will be good for at least 3 years I would guess.