Would a membership to a gym be a rude Christmas present?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by primalclaws1974 • Dec 2, 2014.

1. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974Member

Threads:
    The wife and I are getting out of shape again. I have taken more strides in the last year to be healthier than she has, but we both need to eat better, and particularly get some exercise. I am planning to get a membership regardless, but I was thinking that since I am getting one I might persuade her better this way, without seeming to imply or insult her. What do you think? Will this work? Would it have worked had I not bought one myself?

2. Micheleteresa

MicheleteresaMember

Threads:
    I think you would be best able to answer weather or not your wife would take a gym membership as a gift as an insult or not. You could present it as a way of spending time together that has healthy benefits. As gym memberships can be costly, I suggest going with a month by month contract rather than yearly which you would be obligated to pay even if you and your wife decided the gym was not something you wanted to continue with. There are places that have a 10 dollar membership fee per month, pay as you go, and you can cancel at any time. Planet Fitness also lets you bring a guest with no limit to how many times you can bring a guest, so in keeping with this forums theme I think spending 10 dollars a month for one membership and bringing your wife each time you go to the gym as your guest, would be a great savings!! Down side is that she would not be able to go by herself, she would only be able to go when you go.

#2Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  3. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with the previous poster- especially with it being your wife that you're wondering about, one would hope that you would know her best and be in the best position to judge whether it would be something she would appreciate or be offended by. Overall I'd say it depends on how the person has been regarding fitness- if someone expressed a lot of interest and commitment and was really actively looking for ways to be healthier, than it could be appreciated as it could be seen as you simply acknowledging their interest and supporting them in it. On the other hand, if you feel like the person isn't that interested and needs persuading to even be interested, than it sounds more likely that it will offend. Keep in mind that some people look at the gift from the sense of "why would this gifter get it for me?" in terms of what they were thinking or trying to imply, so it could be perceived as hurtful on some level for your wife to receive that from you.

Maybe something else fitness related? Activity dates perhaps? Rock climbing or yoga classes or something like that? Then you could use the angle that it's more of an experience gift, it just happens to be focused on a healthier lifestyle at the same time.

4. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Just let her know the truth. You love her and want to spend a great many years with her so you want her and yourself to do what you can to be healthier. It is not insulting to know that your husband loves you and wants to ensure that you live a long and health life with him. I think it is great that you want to do this also. I give you Kudos. Good luck!

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I like the above ideas suggested being a willing wife but why not try to encourage a fitness program now without the membership for her? Then you would be saving money all around. There are all kinds of exciting activities that can get you into leading a healthy lifestyle, biking for one, if able, hiking, if able, dancing, too. Find an activity that she does that you like to do and there you go.;)

6. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I think a gym membership gift would be great, if you would go to the gym with her. Going to the gym can be a fun and social experience, keeping in shape with friends and sweating it out is a great way to bond.

Of course I think you shouldn't just gift a gym membership alone though, get some other gifts to complement it.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with the above posters. Personally, I would hate it. Gyms are an extremely boring, torturous way to stay active and very rarely get used completely.. I like the idea of finding outdoor activities for fitness much better. And you don't need a membership in most cases, so maybe some gear to go out with instead? Either way, it depends on her what she would think of it and as everyone else pointed out, we don't know her lol. Good luck :)

8. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I think it makes a nice gift if you are buying two so that you can do it together. When you give it, you will say something like, 'I bought us a gym membership' instead of I bought you a gym membership. And if you are both goal oriented you could also add a gift certificate for the movies or something for 'when we reach our first weight loss goal' or for 'when we have worked out each week consecutively for 3 months'. And that way you could add other little gifts for incentive and also, to cushion the fall in case we are wrong and she really does get insulted that you think she should work out and are calling it a gift! :)

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    It all depends on how your wife would think about it and you can be the best judge of it than anyone else. According to me membership to a gym would be a fantastic idea. I think it is always one of the best thing to do. The other person would also feel that you have been very loving and carrying to take care of their health.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You have a lot of advice, but unless it was a special offer for the two of you I would wait as gyms always do discounts after Christmas. I think if you bought a month membership that would less pressure, but personally i wouldn't like it. Gifts should be something people want to treat themselves too and I don't know whether she likes the gym, or prefers activities like yoga or cycling?

Buying a cycle so you go cycling together would be useful and good exercise. Annual gym memberships tend to be very restricted if you are both busy so a session of yoga classes if she like that would be an idea, often they let you switch sessions too.

11. Cory Jenkins

Cory JenkinsBanned

Threads:
    It's never a bad present, especially if you could get healthier.......I hope that's not the only gift you got for her...

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    As much as there's a general rule of not bringing up weight when it comes to women, I think it's much healthier to look at people as individuals instead of the group they are categorized in, so it really depends on your wife how she would see the gesture. However, I personally think that it's probably better not to gift it on a special occasion and also maybe just ask nicely instead of surprising her, but of course make sure to explain your reasons properly.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's a wonderful idea. And even if your wife's reaction isn't overwhelming in the beginning, I am quite sure that she will get into the swing of things after a while and probably really enjoy her work-outs. I think it's a specially good idea to find a gym that has a swimming pool as well, as it might be more appealing to her to start toning up her body gently before she starts working out on any machines.

14. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    Well, you know your wife well the most, so we can't really give you any advice. However, getting gym memberships for the both of you seems like a pretty good idea, if you've both communicated beforehand and know each other are out of shape. That being said, it's almost the new year, and gym memberships are probably going to be expensive as demand is high. If you want to get it, you should get it soon. If not a gym membership, there are other gifts that are good ideas as well, such as a FitBit.

15. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's better that you have it both, and not just her. So it's a good move that you buy for yourself and then persuade her to come with you. It wouldn't look like that you just want her to slim down and be fitter. It would appear to her that you are only wanting to have fun with her and that you two together be healthy.