Would a Positive Product Review Convince You To Buy

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Denis Hard • Oct 1, 2013.

1. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    Reviews effect my decision, but it is mostly friends and co-workers I know who carry more weight. Reviews are where I start but I do more research after that.

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will rarely rely on just one good review. I would rely on it only if I knew and trusted the brand, and if I really trusted the reviewer. But normally specially if the product is expensive, I will read and watch several reviews before making up my mind.

3. KC Evans

KC EvansMember

Threads:
    When I am shopping online, I usual purchase based on ratings and review. With the information I learned from here it's probably best that I reconsider. I never knew that people were being paid to give reviews on Amazon. That kind of sucks. That means that there's a possibility that someone can purchase something they are really excited about but eventually become disappointed once they receive it.

4. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I read reviews and make decisions based on what I conclude. I just don't rely on only the reviews I find in the app store, if the products are apps. Those customer reviews I scan and observe quickly for the star ratings. For more in-depth understanding of the products, I look for articles or online magazine analysis before I interact with my goods. I particularly read about the design, the inspiration, where the products got their funding, who has been buying them, and whether or not the products were crowdsourced or crowdfunded.

#24Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not certain. A genuine positive review might spur me on to purchase something I'd already considered getting but it wouldn't make me buy something I'd never considered before.

6. MoneyMan

MoneyManMember

Threads:
    Definitely. A product review is one of the first things I look for when looking to buy a product. If the reviews are bad, it will raise a red flag in my mind. However, if I see five stars across the board, I am more likely to purchase it.

7. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    As much as I hate to admit it, yes. Positive reviews tend to lure me into a product but only those products that I know I trust. But just to make sure I tend to Google the product first before I buy just to see reviews on blogs and other sites other than the store.

8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Not necessarily. First, it depends on where this review is. Secondly, it depends on how detailed the review is & whether or not the majourity of the reviews reflect this person's feelings. The truth is we live in a world where there are people exchanging good reviews for money because they know it's worth it if ten people buy the product because of the review. I like to hedge my bets.

9. Happy247

Happy247Member

Threads:
    Reviews from others about anything will never alter my opinion. I've always been considered the "odd ball" in the group. What's popular, I'm usually not interested in. If it hasn't gotten good rating, I love it. I don't know why I'm this way but that's just the way it is and always have been with me. So since I know this about myself, I can never judge anything before experiencing it for myself.

10. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    Review alone wont persuade me to buy a product. I rather checked about the credibilty of the manufacturers as well as the specification of the product. Sometimes if a friend or members of my family bought a product online and are satisfied with it, then there is a possibility that I will buy that product as well.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've become very wary of reviews for this very reason; you just don't know which ones are genuine! I have resorted to looking mainly at the negative and neutral ones to see if the concerns they raise are enough to warrant me not committing to a purchase. I also trust my gut instinct, because I've also heard competitors can write negative reviews. It's very hard to know who to trust, really. Where possible, I also check with friends and family. I'll also go one further and scour the net for reviews on a few discussion forums, before I commit to a sale. You can never be too careful!

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It could possibly sway me as long as I can confirm that the reviewers have bought the product. I see that Amazon now has a tag that indicates if the reviewer has or hasn't purchased the product and I mostly just rely on those to get my information. I'd venture out and see what everyone else has to say most of the time, though. I usually check for independent reviews just to get a better picture.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say I used to be more influenced by reviews, but now I am more cautious about them these days for a variety of reasons. Obviously fake reviews are a pain in the butt, but another problem is many of the people writing these reviews have varying standards of what they consider "good" or not which may not match up to your own.

I will watch Youtube videos of people trying out infomercial cooking products for example - and some of these people clearly can't cook to save their lives, so of course they will sing praises about a given product that doesn't really work that well at all. On the flip side, there are some people who are super neurotic about every little unimportant detail and will give a bad rating to an otherwise good product over stupid insignificant issues.

14. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I do pay attention to reviews. I know there are quite a few fake ones out there, but I believe there are quite a few real ones, too. I always make sure I read the one star reviews first and then the better reviews after. In the case of an item with a lot of different reviews I think the middle of the road reviews reflect truth the best. And just because it's not a five star review doesn't mean it's not a very good review.

15. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I never read the reviews. If I'm skeptical about the quality of a product I'm interested in I ask the people I know personally and trust. Otherwise I just cross my fingers and hope. I guess I just feel that if I don't know the person writing the review how will I know if this is something we would agree on.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always read reviews, but I tend to take the negative reviews more seriously since a lot of people pay for their reviews. You just never know what is legit anymore. If I can handle the negative aspects of a product (taking into account it's just their own perception, it may not always be relevant), then the positives are just a bonus.

17. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A positive review should always include any negative points or state there is nothing negative about it, then you can decide how genuine the review is. I always read reviews and if there are none I do get wary. It takes a lot to convince me to buy anything and it would have to be more that one review, but a good review would make me look further rather than skip something.

18. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I am a sucker for positive reviews, especially when the site claimed that the reviews are from customers. It is like a reassurance for buyer to know that the product we want to buy is worth the money we pay, and the product has some kind of value to it.

19. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    How insightful. I never gave it a thought that the reviews could be phony. How disappointing. I always look at the reviews on Amazon. Most of the time they are mixed. But yes, I have bought things often based on positive reviews. Thankfully all the things have been of good quality. Now I will be more leery going forward though. Thanks for the notification.

20. Megan888

Megan888Member

Threads:
    I admit that I am easily persuaded by reviews on all types of different sites. I like to use word of mouth as well but on occasion I might not know anyone who has used the product that I am purchasing. I try to read more than just the first page of reviews. Sometimes I will skip a few pages of reviews because often times companies will publish the bad reviews but ensure that they are never found on the first or second page.