Would ths mean you're an extreme cheap skate?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Denis Hard • Apr 16, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Going to the barber's to get your hair cut often is going to cost you. It may not be a lot but nonetheless it's money which you could save and spend on other more important things. If you're not living alone for instance, your room-mate, wife, boyfriend, etc, can help you with that but even in their absence you can do it all by yourself.

Would you be willing to give cutting your own hair a try?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, in fact, I do cut my own hair. Or occasionally I have my mom still cut it for me if I'm in town where she is for a visit.

I don't think it makes me a cheapskate either. I just don't feel the need to go pay a small fortune for someone to cut my hair when I can do it myself.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think it makes you a cheapskate. I know plenty of people who cut their hair. It's a skill that I lack though.

I go to a beauty school to get my hair done. The work is done by students under supervision so it's a lot cheaper than a regular hair stylists, but the work is just as good. I have never had any problems.

4. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that makes you cheap. Getting a haircut regularly can add up. As a female, I go way longer than the suggested 6-8 weeks for haircuts. I sometimes wait 5 or 6 months until I get a haircut because I hate spending the money.

I wouldn't cut my own hair or trust my husband to do it. That's just me though lol With my hair, I would rather pay the professional to do it - even if I only go twice a year.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think this is a great compromise!

I have used beauty schools before, too, and so long as it's not a super complicated service being requested, then it's usually pretty safe. What I mean is....I might not trust a new student to turn super long hair into a cute, stylish pixie cut or to do her very first highlight job on a bride-to-be 3 days before her wedding....but for pretty much everything else, it's a good route to go to save money.

6. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    I know a lot of people (mainly men) that cut their own hair these days because of the outrageous prices that barbers and stylists charge. As a woman, I have chopped a little of my hair before and it turned out good! You just have to have a steady hand. Anything is possible.

7. micah13

micah13Member

Threads:
    My wife cuts my hair for me and she does an awesome job. In fact I think she's faster than the barber, which is a plus for me, and she can style it how she wants it to look, another plus, so she's not constantly looking at me and saying 'gosh I wish he had cut that off' or 'I wish he had cut that closer'.

8. Richiee

RichieeNew Member

Threads:
    No I don't cut my own hair but I don't find anyone who cut theirs as cheapskates.

I don't know how to cut my hair that's why I often go to the salon to have them cut by a professional. I also don't have the time to learn how to cut my own hair because my schoolwork are taking up most of my time. And even if I do acquire the time to study hair cutting, I don't think that I would be brave enough to try cutting my own hair. You see, I get paranoid when I don't like my haircut and I'm afraid to screw up that's why I like to leave the hair cutting to the professionals. :)

Cutting your own hair doesn't mean that your cheap. As long as you know what you're doing, and you're satisfied with your work, then you don't have anything to be ashamed of.

9. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    I have long hair that is all one length. I trim it myself. It makes no sense to pay someone $15 + tip just to cut a straight line. I haven't had someone else cut my hair in at least 10 years.

10. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think cutting your own hair necessarily makes you a cheapskate, just frugal. And you wouldn't even have to cut it yourself every time. You have someone else cut it once or twice a year, and just trim it yourself in between cuts. As far as cutting my own hair, I'm just not that coordinated. But I know people who cut their own hair, no problem.

11. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    I do cut my own hair! I have always gone to hairdressers in the past but have had too many bad experiences there and decided enough is enough. SO I got serious about learning to take care of my own hair and I have learnt how to cut it and treat it and colour it properly. I only trust myself with my hair now, haha :)

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been cutting my own hair since about 2002, so around 12 years now. My hair cut is really simple, I just use clippers and cut it real short on the back and sides, then a little longer on the top and fade the whole thing. It would normally cost me about $12 with the tip included, but I like to cut my hair at least once a month, sometimes twice a month. When it starts to grow out, it goes through a phase where it's too long to look "clean cut" but it's not long enough to start styling it in any manner, so I just look like a frizzy Chia Pet for a while, which I hate.

It was a little tricky at first learning to cut in reverse while looking in my mirror to do the back and sides of my head, but I've gotten quite good at it - especially when it comes to getting the perfect fade (which they could never seem to do at the hair salons).

It not only saves money, but it's also more sanitary too. Do you want them using combs and hair cutters that they've been using on thousands of other people?

The only big drawback is that I am cleaning hair off my sink and floor for hours afterwards, and it gets all over my towels and laundry.