Would you buy a book that teaches you how not to do something?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Denis Hard • May 2, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if I'm the only but I certainly do like "How Not To . . . " books. They are funnier and more interesting to read than their "How To . . ." cousins. I once bought a book titled "How Not To Write a Novel" and the material was almost as informative as any other writing book that one could use to learn how to write novels.

Ever bought such a book or would you buy a book that had a title like "How Not To Save Money in 2014?"

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    That reminds me of an episode of I love Lucy where she wanted to be a writer. Her draft was rejected by one publisher but another one wanted to use it for a book called "Don't let this Happen to You". She had mixed feelings but I would certainly buy it.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In fact some of these books have information you would not find elsewhere. Focusing on the negative can help you avoiding making similar mistakes. These days I'm more in favor of buying such books.

4. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    It depends what it is telling me not to do. I have seen people write books titled "what not to do to succeed in (your chosen niche)" and that is something I'd consider buying. If it was something like "what not to do on a date" or "what not to do in a relationship" then I would pass as I know that you should sleep with other people and you shouldn't spend the entire date talking about your ex.

5. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of books like that actually lol but it would be interesting to read one, and like you mentioned certainly funnier. I would be a book like "What not to say on a job interview or "What not to say on a first date ect.... " Kind of reminds me of that movie " How to loose a guy in 10 days," staring Kate Hudson.

#5May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Well sure. I have read blogs like that before.

And like Mayvin mentioned, movies like "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" is a perfect example of how the description of what NOT to do is what also teaches you what you should be doing instead.

7. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I would buy it but depends on what the "how not to.." is about. If it was something about what most people and I already know then I will not buy it. I also agree that you will more likely to find extra information about certain things from this kind of book.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah, no I don't think so, unless it's really cheap. Those books are usually humurous anyway, and most funny books aren't the ones that I would like to spend my money on. Come to think of it, I only spend money on books if I can't find an ebook version of it.

#8May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
  9. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I'd buy a book like that. In fact, right now I'm interested in game design and the most informative videos I find are those that show how not to develop a game. The videos are illustrated with funny examples or dialogue (as expected), and I must admit, it's pretty easy to learn this way. By having things presented differently, in a How Not To manner, you learn faster.

On the other hand "How Not To Save Money in 2014" sounds like a richman's book, one that contains tips on how to spend more of that sweet cash that keeps piling up :p

10. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I think this really depends on what it is teaching you not to do. Some of them are a little stupid for me, but some of them you can learn from I suppose. I find most books like that to be rather humorous myself, but I do know people that sell them daily.

11. limitless1585

limitless1585Member

Threads:
    I've read a lot how to books, only to find out the same information I've already known. I don't trust these how to books. In most cases the book was written from an internet marketer who is trying to make some extra cash and he rewrote the information you can find for free on the internet.