Would You Buy an Ebook Reader or Tablet for Your Kid?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by PubD • Nov 12, 2012.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suggest that you buy a tablet. There are a lot of affordable tablets out on the market right now which could serve as a good ebook reader as well. Your kids can do more things with a tablet than with an ebook reader that's for sure.

2. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    I would like to buy books for kids rather than buy them ebook reader or tablet. I heard it cause more harm to their eyes. Also kids cannot help playing games with tablets.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a senior lady, and I have read books all my life, and loved reading, so when my daughter gave me an iPad, I did not know how I would feel abut having one to read books with. However, my library has an ebook loan, and there are a lot of online books you can get for free, or very cheap, so I started using the iPad to read with.
    To my surprise, I loved reading with the iPad ! I can make the print the right size for me to see it, and if there are pictures, I can bring them up where I can get a good close look at those also. I don't have to carry books around, and the iPad fits in a medium sized purse. The e readers are even smaller and more lightweight, so they would be even easier to carry.
    I definitely would recommend getting your son a tablet or e reader of some kind, but you might want to let him try out one that belongs to a friend or family member, and see how well he likes it before actually spending the money. If he says he wants one, then I am sure he would love it once he got used to having it.

4. mansawalta

mansawaltaMember

Threads:
    I would get them a kindle, the Black and white one with not a lot of options for games and other things, that way they would concentrate on books a whole lot more than spend their time playing games. I would also consider my kids age and maybe maturity. A gadget like that is expensive and so i would want my kid to make maximum use of it and really make sure that they take good care of it and nothing is broken.

5. kshultz06082

kshultz06082New Member

Threads:
    I have 3 kids aged 14, 9, and 3. I have bought the two older ones Kindles because they love to read. I bought the older Kindles that are ONLY an e-reader though. That way, they can read at school but not play games. I do not have any extra room in my house, so storing books is a pain. A Kindle solves this problem. Another good thing about the Kindle is that the e-books are generally more affordable than a hardcover or paperback book. A Kindle or e-book reader is a win-win for me!

6. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    Amazon is doing a cool thing with the new Kindle Fire. They are putting parental screen controls on it. So you can say that your kids can have say: 45 minutes a day of 'app play', 45 minutes a day of internet browsing, 1 hour of magazine reading and unlimited access to books.

I though it was a cool idea. And your kids could 'earn' the ability for you to change the times or what not.

7. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My daughter in law has one and she loves it I think they are great for kids in my opinion

8. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    When I have children I am sure technology will be even more advanced and books will be considered even more old school, but I'll still probably just buy them books. I will probably have a computer/phone/tablet that is mine that I would allow them to play games on sometimes, but I don't like the idea of buying children their own technology like that. I had a great childhood and learned just fine without being glued to a screen all of the time, so I would want my children to have something similar. Of course they'll use technology more than I did in the 90s, but I don't want it to be their entire lives. Regardless of if it's cheaper to buy a book on a tablet than to buy a physical copy.

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Well right now I'm not considering it because of financial concerns...but if money were not a consideration, I would consider buying a kindle that doesn't do much aside from its e-reader functions. My son is 9 and of course WANTS his own tablet/laptop/etc. but I definitely do not think he needs one.

10. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy a ebook reader, I would buy a device that includes reading ebooks like an iPod Touch, or a phone that includes it. One separate device just for reading ebooks seems like a waste of money to me especially if the kindles are over $150.

11. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see why not, nowadays ebook readers are pretty cheap and for the price of two books you can get one, which will end up saving you a lot of money later on.

12. Anna_Bella07

Anna_Bella07Member

Threads:
    I don't think she is yet big enough to handle a tablet. Its better if you adjust with books until she gets a bit matured.

13. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I also think they are a great gift. We got our daughter one for her last birthday and she never puts it down. It's one of the best things we bought her, she loves to read so it made a brilliant present.