Would You Buy an Older Model To Save Money?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Denis Hard • Jan 14, 2015.

1. Epicfied

EpicfiedMember

Threads:
    I buy older models in certain things because I know they're good.
    I bought a Galaxy S4 the same time my husband bought an S5. I knew his old S4 was great, so why not?
    With graphics cards, the same thing. Just because a new one is out doens't mean the old one is great.
    I took my husband's GTX 680 which is a fantastic card until I upgraded and bought a 980 as well, but a friend wanted to buy the 680.

2. mrgeox23

mrgeox23New Member

Threads:
    My opinion on the latest "High End" smartphones is that if you have the previous model like LG G2 , Iphone 5S ect there is no reason to upgrade especially if you are alright with your current device and you are doing your work . Now for computers , I like and want to have the newest graphics cards , cpu etc ... Because I am studying on Computers things like programming and editing so I prefer to keep my "rig" up to date :) That's it .

3. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    This is true. Sometimes phone applications make us even less productive compared to before when we were just using simple phones for texting and calling. In fact, there has been a study that people nowadays are experiencing something called information overload. It's a phenomenon where we are receiving so many information and we can't process all of them.

I like to make it simple when it comes to applications that I use. And I only download apps that provide me my everyday needs. To be specific, I have Evernote and Dropbox as my main go-to apps for everyday life.

4. MD. Mahboob-A-Rabbani

MD. Mahboob-A-RabbaniNew Member

Threads:
    Actually I would like to purchase any used gadgets instead of purchasing new one, it saves much money. But there remains some limitation, cause I am not sure that whether the product is fully okay or not. There may remain some hidden problem, some of them are about motherboard or battery backup, which can't be detectable within a few minute or hour. If I can manage to check the device, that is fully okay. Then i will always prefer buying a used device than a new one

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would if I felt like I didn't have much of a choice but as long as I can afford one that has updated specs I think I'd much rather opt for that one instead because buying an older model can seem like a good choice at first but once everyone starts moving on and your phone is left being slow and laggy you'll just end up needing to pay for another phone sooner than you would hope. I think something in the middle is the best choice to buy, possibly something that's not too new that it's so expensive but at the same time the specs are still updated enough that it won't get outdated faster than average.

6. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Older Model Cars Can Save You $2000-3000 This is something that I have done the last couple of times. You just need to go around. Sometimes dealers haven't sold a car that has an old manufacturing date. Sometimes when new models come out, people simply stop buying older models. To me a car is a car, so instead of buying an old used car, I buy a new car that just has an old man. date. Dealers usually just want to get these cars out of their hands and provide massive discounts if you pay them quickly.

Older Model Phones Again, you can always get a cheaper phone if you wait. I mean look at the iPhone 5s, its a great phone. It used to have a price tag of $399. But now you can buy it for $275 brand new. Makes sense to buy it now right? If you don't have one that is.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When our computer broke down (needing to replace the power supply) my husband brought it to the mall that is the center of electronic repair shops. Most of the stores there sell used computers. And since my husband was looking for a laptop, he window shopped somehow. The laptops were very cheap, as much as 10% of the original price. However, they are used computers and almost obsolete in models. For us, it is better to buy an expensive new computer than a cheap old one. At least you save yourself from the trip to the repair shop.

8. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    I always do that. I tend to wait a couple of months even years to get a phone or any other device since they're prices drop significantly and for the most part, most phones nowadays are powerful enough to last you a few years before you completely toss them out the window.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find it an odd trait to just keep going for the latest version or models of things, SIMPLY because it is the latest or newest model. To me that is a sheep mentality. Now, on the other hand, if you want to get the newest models because they have features that you want, then fine. But that is not the case with a lot of people. A lot of people only want the newest models for a status symbol, which is so boring to me.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the needs and preference of the person. I have an old Android phone that has a qwerty keyboard, and I prefer it compared to those touch screen phones, because I can't type fast using a touch screen phone. So I'm content to not follow the trend. I don't even bother to upgrade the OS of my phone, since I'm not into downloading apps.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I did that when I purchased my last cell phone - the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I waited several months until the price on it dropped by $150, then got it when I switched over to T-Mobile as a new customer. Two years in and it's still working just fine. The phone is technically a little over 3 years old now, but it runs as smooth as ever - unlike my previous two Motorola phones which were giving me all sorts of problems, running slow, and losing power quickly within the first year I had them. It could be a brand thing as well, since Samsung just seems to build better and more reliable phones than Motorola does. I could see myself using this phone for at least another year or two before really feeling the need to upgrade it.

As for computers, I try to time them around the next big release of Windows, so I am not stuck with an old version of the OS that I then need to upgrade, should I ever need to reformat my computer. It also depends on any new technology coming out - I would avoid buying an older system if a new version of Intel's processor is about to come out for example.

12. JusApee

JusApeeNew Member

Threads:
    These days every big company uses this strategy to "hypnotize" a lot of people into buying their new generation stuff. However, I can say from experience that by the time Samsung Galaxy S6 was coming out, I bought a Galaxy S4, and I can say I bought it at less than half its price at the time when it was being launched. People pay a lot for the brand of their mobile phones especially. I personally would never waste money on buying something in the day it's being launched just because of the marketing they're giving to it.

13. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    If it's up to me, yes, why not? If the older model is heaps cheaper than the newer model, I would go for it. I'm really not much into the newest model of gadgets. In fact, the phone I have right now is the iPhone 5S although it's about to die on me already. So here I am, searching for a new brand or model to replace it with. There are lots of options in the market and then there's the iPhone SE. I'm confused but you know what, I'm leaning towards more to the Android older models of phones.

With my husband though, he always says this, "If you're going to buy, then buy the brand new model. It's a waste of money to buy the older model." And yeah, I know some people have this thinking that the newer the model, the better it is. Of course newer models are more advanced and high tech. But if you're only looking for a phone with the basic features, why not go with the older model? At least that's my thinking.

14. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I have nothing against buying an older model, so long as I would be able to upgrade the software to the most current version. I bought an iPad for £200 this way, and it does everything that I need it to do, even though it might not be the most up to date model that I could have got. So yes, it's absolutely fine to do this, so long as you know that the machine you get in the end is going to work for you.

15. Leah

LeahNew Member

Threads:
    My partner and I can't afford to buy the newest models around so we're always at least one or two behind and even though we have contract mobiles, there are still massive differences in the monthly price. My partner has a Samsung Galaxy S5 which he's more than happy with and has already decided he wants the S6 when his contract runs out. It should be cheaper than it is now and with all the updates, the phone should be up to date anyway. We'll both get new phones when it's time and it'll still be a new, shiny toy to play with. Neither of us care about owning the-best-before-the-rest and to be honest, we know we're lucky to be able to get decent phones that are still pretty "in".

16. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    I actually think that it all depends on the person, I personally would rather buy an old model that can somehow do the same things that the new one does, I am always looking to save as much as I can, you can always go for the best option if you want but it is always going to be up to you and your tastes and needs, you dont need it, you dont buy it, as simple like that but as I said, I would personally buy an old model, maybe one from the last year or so.

17. Doof

DoofNew Member

Threads:
    Not me personally. I try to keep up with technology, especially phones. However, I would like to mention that this sort of thing can save a person more than just money. If a slightly older phone fits your needs, that's great. You're saving tons of money and headaches. "Early adopter" tax is a very real thing. Every so often, upgrading to the latest tech comes with a new set of problems that one one has had time to become familiar with. When this happens the result is a lot of lost time, frustration, and often one or more returns of the brand new item, hoping to find one without a glitch or flaw.

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people update to the new tech just because they think the new gadget will be so much more than the one they have now. Some people like me will not update as long as it works. I am only getting a new computer because the one I have has stopped working smoothly. My phone is only 2 years old, I do not need a new one although Samsung has new phones out that look amazing, I don't feel like I have gotten my money's worth from this phone yet.

19. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I buy older models because newer models sometimes just have a few minor upgrades and function just like the older models. I think that when it comes to older Mac products then you might have trouble with them. Mac stops updating safari and Chrome on older products so you can't use them for certain websites and there is no way to update them.

20. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would buy an older model car, and several other things, however I'm not sure about technology. I feel very strongly that I want to have the latest technology, at least when I buy it! I can own the same computer or laptop for years, however has to be the newest when I get it. Otherwise, if it wasn't the latest technology when I bought it, in three or four years it's going to be very old.
    I laptop I bought three years ago and it's starting to show its age. I will try my best to be with it for at least one more year, as I do not have money to buy another one now, however when I do buy another one I really want to spend the extra money to have something that is high-tech and different. I do think it's worth the extra money.