Would You Buy An Open Box Laptop?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by felielizab • Jun 22, 2015.

1. felielizab

felielizabMember

Threads:
    I currently don't have a laptop and have been searching around for the best price. Best Buy is offering some decent prices, however I noticed that they have a big selection of open box laptops, as well. Have you ever bought anything open box and what was it like for you?

2. Aasif Khan

Aasif KhanMember

Threads:
    Pros: You would probably get a significant discount.

Cons: You'd get a limited warranty in most cases.

At Best Buy there are two forms of open box items. First one is Geek Squad open box ceritified which has no missing accessories and in original packaging. This Item won't be physically damaged. The GeekSquad does a thorough check on the item and sign on it holding them responsible. The next one is just open box which may have missing parts and the price will reflect that, but typically damaged items get shipped back to the product return center and get fixed and are sold as refurbished products.

3. felielizab

felielizabMember

Threads:
    Thank you so much for the information. I will definitely be looking into this option when purchasing my laptop. I am in desperate need of one so this might be the way to go for me. I will be looking into the Geek Squad certified open boxes.

4. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I bought an open box television from Best Buy once. It was a floor model, but they had the box and everything I needed was in it. I was stoked because I got a really great deal and I huge discount on a model they were phasing out. The television is now three years old and works perfectly fine.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They can be good deals, often you can look online for each branch to see what they have as well. The ex-display ones are usually fine and with all things you can try it out there and then. At least then you can read up on the specs and compare the savings before you get to the store.

If you get it really cheaply, you could buy a Geek squad package and that will take care of any issues with your laptop too.

6. GavinGimbo

GavinGimboMember

Threads:
    You can always get them for great discounts. Most of the time you will end up buying a product with no problem. But always make sure that you get some sort of warranty period. You know, just in case something happens.

A friend of mine bought once and he is still using the laptop. He made sure everything was okay and took his time in the mall checking the laptop. I suggest you do the same and you'll be alright!

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on where the open box item is coming from. I'd trust Best Buy for open box laptops, but I can't say the same for Amazon and even some of the actual laptop manufacturers. Each company does something different to ensure that open box items are in complete working condition, and that's where you have to be careful because you can sometimes get a dead item on arrival.

8. doctah

doctahNew Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy a laptop at Best Buy (unless it was a Macbook or something). I tend to only buy business laptops. They hold up better, you'll be able to find batteries and power cables cheaply, and you'll even be able to buy old, broken machines for spare parts if desired.

As an example, go on eBay and look at something like an HP 8440p. You'll get a great price, it will be fast enough for just about any normal computer use AND you will be able to buy new batteries and replacement power adapters for years. If you break the screen, you will be able to buy a replacement screen (or even just a different laptop) cheaply.

Maybe I'm just a geek, but old business level laptops rock.

9. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    I bought an open box netbook once. It ended up arriving missing the charger, which I had to fork out another 30 bucks for, incl. shipping. At least, it worked when I was able to finally turn it on. Not sure if I'd do it again though.

10. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd listen to @Aasif Khan@Aasif Khan, it sounds as if it could be a good deal. I do tend to trust Best Buy, and I bought both my desktop and laptopl from them (many years ago), and they've both worked well. I also bought one of my TVs from them, my multi-function printer, and other items, as well. The good thing about Best Buy is you can do a little research online while you're there, to see if it's a good product overall (open box notwithstanding), and if the specs sound good, and you want to take the chance, I'd go for it.