Would You Buy Chromecast?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Colebra • Feb 9, 2015.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    And do you have any experience with it?

I could totally see myself just using that if it works properly...
    35$ bucks, and all the HD Internet you can watch forever.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

2. tangiblesalt

tangiblesaltNew Member

Threads:
    No it doesn't do anything new. I have a HDMI cable and when I want something on the big screen I plug my laptop to my TV but I can see how other people might like it. I can definitely see myself buying one to bring to a friends house or whenever I visit my parents but right now, no.

3. elite1fl

elite1flMember

Threads:
    I already have a Roku 2 so I don't need a Chromecast. If I didn't have it and I was in the market, I would probably go with the Roku 3. The Roku has more apps and the new remote has a headphone jack on it which for me is a major plus. It costs more, but you get a lot more.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, I sure do. In fact, I've bought 3 of them, lol...one of which was as a gift that gets used pretty much every day. I love mine and use it constantly. It's great to cast to another screen across the room whether it's from my own computer or from my phone.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In light of some recent announcements how newer Samsung TV's are listening to your conversations and sending this data off for advertising purposes, I am tempted to hold on to my older Vizio TV for as long as I can, and steer clear of all these "smart" TV's. Another recent issue that has come out regarding Samsung TV's is that they also have the ability to auto insert commercials into your own content, such as a movie you downloaded and are playing through your TV. It was discovered when they did a test run on this technology recently and ran a Pepsi ad on customer's TV sets.

Because of these types of invasive issues, something like a Chromecast plus an older TV is becoming a more tempting offer. That's not to say Google isn't collecting data on your TV viewing habits and sending it back as well, but I'm fairly certain there aren't any microphones in the Chromecast either.

6. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Just found out that Netflix is not available in Portugal :(
    Was really looking forward to the comedy specials...

I'm checking a review for the Roku 3.
    Pandora is on there, and I fricking love Pandora! But that's another one that isn't available in Portugal :(
    It used to be, but for some reason now it's not.
    So, I have a feeling that most won't...

I still want my cable disconnected though :D

And Samsung's listening to conversations?!?!?!?!?!

photo.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd honestly much rather just buy most of the other alternatives if I can because I don't have Netflix so if I bought a chromecast most I could do with it would be youtube. It would be much more useful for me to just buy an HDMI cable or a wireless counterpart that would allow me to mirror my screen onto the tv. I think it's still worth the purchase though since it's very cheap and even if I just watch youtube videos on it I think it would still be worth it.

8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    No. I don't think I'll purchase something I know there's an alternative for. I have a portable DVD player which I've been using almost everyday, and I'm going to stick to it because I love it so freaking much, I can take it anywhere I go. I have a USB flash drive wherein I put all my downloaded favorite movies and just connect it to my portable DVD player, then I'm good to go.

9. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:

Good point. In my case, I use my phone. I download everything on my phone, watch all the series and movies on my phone, and delete once I am finished.

However, when it comes to watching HD movies, I still prefer watching them on my TV.

I would buy a chromecast only if we have reliable and yet affordable internet services in our country. :) Who wouldn't want convenience right?

10. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I actually thought about getting Chromecast...that is until we went to his company year-end party and got Chromcast for free. It's actually not bad and we like the things it does (I especially like it for my Pandora as I listen to music while getting ready or when I clean the house). I don't think we've used it to the full extent of its capabilities though, but if you can find a way to use everything it has to offer I would say go for it!

11. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    But a DVD player has nothing to do with the Chromecast, a STREAMING machine. It can play local files, but that's not its intended purpose at all. You're telling me that your DVD player is an alternative to a Chromecast? It can stream apps, games, videos, and music? The Chromecast does something that laptops and desktops or smartphones can do, but it's a portable package that's unobtrusive and turns a TV into a smart TV. A DVD player does none of that.

12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    No. I'm not saying anything about the functions of Chromecast and portable DVD player are just the same. I'm just stating that I won't buy Chromecast because I have an alternative for watching movies which is my portable DVD player. I really don't stream movies using my laptop computer, I would just be tempted to do other stuffs on the internet. I won't be able to focus. So yeah, I just answered the question "Would you buy Chromecast?" This is just from my personal opinion. Hope that clear things up. ;)

13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Why do you delete them? :confused: As for me, I collect them all, whether they are DVD copies or just files, whether I hate the movie or not. I don't know. :p It's just me, maybe.

But yeah, who wouldn't want convenience and easy access?

14. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    My daughter loves Chromecast and uses it daily. She doesn't have a laptop to plug into the TV but has an android phone and that works great for her. I actually want to get another one to plug in to the bedroom so that I can work on my laptop and watch TV.