Would You Buy Food That Has Expired?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Mar 17, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been reading about a supermarket in Denmark which sells only expired food. They do that because they believe most companies slap random expiry dates on many food products and this results in food that still can be consumed being thrown out.

Question: would you buy expired food?

Do you think eating expired food is safe to eat?

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't actively go out there and try to purchase foods that have already expired, by their labels. But I have eaten food that has past its sell by date in my home, meaning that I purchased it when it was in date. I would feel like I was paying for something and getting a bum deal if I purchased something that was already past its sell by date.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Generally speaking - providing something doesn't smell or look off - contrary to popular belief - YES - a large proportion of food items past their expiry date - are actually safe to eat.

In fact as there are no regulations or laws in place - that state expiry dates must be on food products - apart from on baby foods and some other perishables like milk - and expiry dates are purely “advisory” - meaning the information is entirely at the discretion of the manufacturer - not only are “ eat by, sell by dates “ so confusing that they are responsible for a huge amount of perfectly edible food - as well as a whole lot of money going to waste - but as they have conditioned the consumer into thinking that food beyond those dates is inedible - they encourage people into spending and throwing out more than they need to.

So bearing in mind - that there are literally hundreds and hundreds of food items that are perfectly safe to eat way past their sell by dates and more importantly - foods close to their expiry dates are more often than not drastically reduced - making them a great way of reducing grocery costs - often quite considerably too - hopefully this will help

towards being more confident about taking advantage of those big reductions next time you see them - especially as - not only is almost every food imaginable along with its safe consumption date listed - but full information on proper storage too.

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would buy anything that has actually expired but I have bought meat that is 30%-50% off because if was a day or two away from its expiry date. I save a lot of money this way and I'll cook it right away and have it for supper that night. If we don't eat it that night then I'll freeze it and eat it at a later date. The meat has always been fine and I've never had a problem with anyone getting sick. My local grocery store will have a sticker on frozen items they are trying to sell quickly for 50% off because they are close to their expiry date. I usually stock up on some frozen items and save money as well. I figure if they are frozen already they won't go bad.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Personally; NO, I wouldn't buy any expired food items. As it stands, we have a problem with the stores where I live, which still sell food items that are on the verge of expiring at full price. As far as I'm concerned, they ought to substantially reduce the price, if they want to shift the stock in that state. Or simply throw it away and not make a penny out of it. But they're so very greedy here, they insist on sticking with the original price, which suggests to me if they had a chance like this, they'd probably see it as an opportunity to exploit us!

I know that some things are still safe to eat beyond the expiry date, but that should be left to the customer.
    Now, over in the West, maybe I'd consider it because I know they wouldn't take the Mickey. Plus there's that transparency that allows customers to decide whether or not to buy the items at a reduced rate.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No I wouldn't, it can be a health hazard, especially if it's the moist kind of food. I would rather be on the safe side. However, I think that drinking powdered drinks are still quite ok to consume, I have accidentally consumed expired ones, and they taste the same as the non-expired ones.

7. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    If I have a choice between buying food that is normal and the one which has expired, I would certainly rule out the opportunity of doing the latter. There is no goddamn point in doing that. First, it has had its time. Second, it's not the only one. Third, it's pretty much unhealthy. I'd say there is a likelihood of poisoning yourself as well.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Personally, no.. that would mean my food is rotten lol, since the majority of my food is plants. Most people already buy expired food anyway.. the food industry, grocery stores etc, not exactly the most honest folk. Gawd, even meat gets a good treatment to appear fresh when it should no longer be eaten. Unless you're getting it straight off the bone.. it's rotting every second it's dead. Not exactly something I'd gamble with, but doesn't necessarily mean you'll get sick either. Most foods you can go by sight and smell.. but others you just won't know for sure. If they're determined to sell it, they will find a way.

9. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy food with that has expired dates on them if they were available in the stores now. It would be very controversial if well known grocery stores attempted to sell food that had expired dates on them. Certainly it would be an advantage to someone who is knowledgeable like those which the two articles referenced but somewhere very deep it is buried that is can't be allowed.

I have used expired food items that I have purchased and only by actually opening a can or by cooking did I determine if it was still edible. I don't like to waste food just like the next person but why buy with a chance that it 'might' still be good to eat.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I would see sort of sale by the sidewalk of a main road. On top of a table is a heap of imported items particularly canned goods and soap products. I had checked it twice and I found out that they are selling expired items. In fairness to those enterprising people, they have a small sign that says the products recently expired but still guaranteed to be edible (for the food) and usable (for other items).

I would never buy anything that is expired. You may not believe it but we have a so called "expire day" where we make an inventory of our cupboard. For those items nearing to expire like canned good, we give them away to poor people in the neighborhood.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Somehow, I don't see this happening in America. I think it would be an invitation of many a lawsuit, seeing as America is the most litigious nation on earth. People would start finding every little reason to sue store for millions of dollars. So I have a feeling American stores would not even want to go there for that reason.

12. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Well here's the thing - it would appear that it is already being encouraged.

So much so - that in April last year - the US Government launched a free to download App called - “ Foodkeeper “ - which contains very similar information to that in the link I posted earlier - plus more - with view to helping and encouraging - consumers, retailers, manufacturers etc - to stop wasting food unnecessarily - details of which can be found here

plus - information on exactly what the app contains

Another valid point worth mentioning regarding expiry dates - is that - as the majority of food available these days - is not unadulterated real food - but overly processed chemically produced “ food “ loaded with artificial additives and preservatives - unlike real food - which does generally deteriorate quite rapidly - it very probably has a shelf life and stays good for way, way longer - after its expiry date - than many could even begin to imagine.

13. integrity101

integrity101New Member

Threads:
    Expired food? No way. In fact I wouldn't buy any food stuff that's about to expire. My niece and her two children once spent a whole week in hospital after eating snacks from a supermarket without checking the expiry date. There's no point in risking your health even if you are getting the items at a discount. You may end up paying much more at the hospital.

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bad handling of foods is far more likely to make someone severely ill than something being a bit past its "best if used by" sticker. Most snack foods have tons of preservatives in them and last far longer than the dates on the package, so it's doubtful that it was the cause of a week long stay in the hospital. If food poisoning was diagnosed as the issue, she should contact the manufacturer, as there is likely a bigger problem.

Of course, it's up to you, but many products are fine past the date. The date is just a suggestion (except in specific cases like baby stuff and meds). If not, it would be illegal to sell out of date foods.

When I was a kid, most stuff didn't even have a "best by" date on it. Many people had stuff for years and it was still fine. I think they are just overly cautious now days, to avoid lawsuits. Many products can be used well past, especially if frozen by that date.

I often get great discounts on food that is nearing its sell by date. I just use it up quickly or freeze it.

15. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the type of food. I think that tinned food will last a lot longer than people realise, and as a result of this you could eat it quite a way past the date - but shops aren't allowed to sell it at full price after this point. It could be quite a good way to be able to get a bargain if you don't mind eating it, and I will admit that it is something that I have done in the past. I wouldn't want to eat everything past the date though, as I feel that it would be a little bit risky.

16. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of expired food unless it's only a few days old. I'm not sure if it's good for your health to consume expired food. So yeah I really don't want any more problems added to the problems I already have. I don't think my stomach is strong enough for it either. I can pretty much get sick easily.

17. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I think it would depend on what the food was such as crackers, cereal, or other dry goods. I do not think that I would purchase them at full price though so I would take that into consideration. I will look for items that have been discounted because they are close to the expiration date to save some money since meats and packaged produce can be expensive. I will use it right away or freeze it to make it last longer. I know that I use food that is past its sell by date like milk, but as long as it tastes and smells good I am not going to throw it out.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would if the supermarket took responsibility in figuring out how to more accurately figure out the actual expiry date. I they are able to vouch for the product being okay for consumption past a certain date I would more be inclined to trust them. Also I'd not mind as much if the items were not that hazardous to eat past the prime period such as crackers or pasta noodles, but for meat products I don't think I'd take the chance. I think the idea overall is a good one though. Too much food is wasted because of the huge allowance on expiry dates due to companies wanting to avoid lawsuits which is understandable of course.

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Definitely not. And that is actually a law where I live that if you find something on the supermarket or grocery store with the expired date expired, you may have it for free. That is why where I live when a product is getting here too it's expiry date, sometimes the supermarkets will lower prices to the ground. I love taking advantage of those cases when buying yogurt, especially.

20. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it should be just fine with certain pantry products and dry goods. If you think about it, back when many families used to garden and can their own fruits and vegetables, those were meant to last throughout the year until the next time those things were in season again. My grandparents and parents gardened and canned their own stuff all throughout my childhood, and I still have fond memories of that. As long as the items are packaged and stored properly they should probably last far longer than some of the sell by dates listed on them.

Many people aren't aware that stuff like "fresh" orange juice that they're buying in the store with sell by dates, has typically been sitting in large vats for as long as a year, before they're even bottled. Even "fresh" eggs can be sitting around for a couple weeks before they hit the shelves at your local supermarket.